Best amps?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-02, 07:22 PM
Bobcat
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best amps?

Zapco? Brax?

Who makes the best amps for driving Dynaudio 240 Mk II's????

p.s.
thanks Percy, I ordered my Dyn's today!!
Old 04-03-02, 08:22 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Bobcat,

They're both good amps, its just that I like the Mc's better due to build and clarity. I'd have to say for SQ, Mc's first and then Brax. Zapco I would rate as one of the top ten, but imo, there's a lot of advertising and too much sponsoring from them.

Percy
Old 04-04-02, 05:34 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Percy,

What do you think about Memphis?
Old 04-04-02, 06:34 PM
Percy

GS4fun,

No experience with them. Do they have a website so I can take a look-see?

Percy
Old 04-04-02, 07:01 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Percy,
I'm not sure....let me do some web searching....
I'll let you know.
Old 04-04-02, 08:34 PM
BabaBooey
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if you're one of those folk who can differentiate between an "SQ" and an "SPL" amp, then you may consider Memphis in the SPL league. Their 1000d is one of the more commonly used amps in SPL competitions; however, their Studio class a/b amps put out their rated power (if not a little more), have steeper xover slopes than most amps (18db/oct) and can be highpassed at high enough frequencies for tweeters/horns. If you can get a good price on one, I say go for it, they're quality products.
Old 04-04-02, 08:50 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What is the difference between SQ and SPL amps exactly? I am kind of lost here...can't you use any a/b amp for spl or SQ?
Old 04-04-02, 09:21 PM
BabaBooey
Driver

I was being quasi-sarcastic. Memphis amps may not have the specs of Brax, McIntosh, etc... but I still can't hear the difference. He'll definitely find Memphis amps for cheaper than Zapco and Brax, the original two brands he mentioned, but I feel that Memphis would perform equally as well as a fraction of the price (for the Brax, at least).
Old 04-05-02, 12:41 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you don't mind having cheap stuff in your trunk, why not. Lexus cars do not deserve such treatment.
Also you will hear a difference if you use Brax vs Memphis on any set of revealing speakers. No RC laboratory bs...all real life sound one vs another.
Old 04-05-02, 12:27 PM
BabaBooey
Driver

Well maybe he should go out and audition different quality amps to see if he can hear the difference.
And to say that Lexus cars are too good for "cheap" stuff like Memphis is absurd and borderline conceited. Trying to convince me to spend four times as much money on a product because "it's not good enough" for my car is just plain stupid, especially when it performs as well as the competition. DD is cheap, must suck. Morel is easy on the pocket, not going in my car. Vifa is of similar quality to possibly the best tweeter on the market, but screw it, a pair of those things won't even cost me $150....
Old 04-07-02, 06:40 PM
Bobcat
Pole Position

What would be a good amp (or pair of amps) by Mcintosh or Brax to drive a pair of Dynaudio 240 Mk II's in front and a JL Audio 10" sub in the rear??????

What would it cost to get these amps?

p.s.
as Percy knows, this is not for a Lexus, it's for my 2001 Corvette. I sold my GS400 a few months ago.... but I'll have another one someday!
Old 04-07-02, 08:09 PM
Percy

Bobcat,

At bare minimum, a MCC302 150x2 (rms and conservatively rated..it's mc!) for the fronts and a MC443M for the sub. The 443 is a 300 wpc amp dedicated to subs. Cost around 1500, last srp...but that was quite a while ago and prices may have shot up. The MC443M may have been discontinued so there is another alternative...the new MCC301M. It's an updated version.

On the new models I have no idea what the prices are, but whatever they're asking now, they're worth every cent! NOBODY, imo, builds them to a higher standard than McIntosh...and many have tried.

Best bet is to contact Peter Lufrano at http://www.theautophile.com Good guy.

Percy
Old 04-09-02, 07:17 AM
Bobcat
Pole Position

Percy ....

I like the idea of the Mc amp driving 150W to each of the front speakers.

It kills me to think of paying $1500 for a mono sub amp. Is there a tolerable alternative?

Are there any multi-channel amps (to power the fronts AND the sub) by McIntosh that you could recommend? I don't have much room in the trunk of my C5.

Thanks
Old 04-09-02, 09:08 PM
Percy

Bobcat,

Their MC440/MC440M does a good job. You can config it for 100x4, 50x4 + 100x2 and I forgot the 5 channel config. I think they replaced it with the MCC446 which has similar (slightly more powerful) specs. You can run the entire system with this amp.

Percy
Old 11-18-02, 09:58 AM
Bobcat
Pole Position

Default More on BEST amps

Percy / others:

Well I had to sell my Vette. Now I need advice on SQ amps in an Audi A6. It has a very similar cabin to my GS400. I could use some advice in two areas ....

I sold my Dyn 240MKII's because I can't get them to fit in the front doors without a lot of custom work. Should I go with a pair of 220's instead? Should I put a set of 220's in the rear doors also? What sub should I get?

Also, should I get a McIntosh 4x100watt for the main speakers and then some other (less expensive) mono amp for the sub?

Will the 4x50watt McIntosh amps be powerful enough to make the Dyn's sing?

Please help if you can.

Last edited by Bobcat; 11-18-02 at 11:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Best amps?