Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Got my new Focal 3 ways components!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-02, 11:51 AM
olskoolGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kyle- you're probably (most likely) right... but i don't have space in the kick panels to mount the speakers there. the parking brake is located there. also the 6.5 focals are too deep to install in the front doors (windows roll too far down and will hit it) but the depth is fine for the back doors...

I have half of my speakers installed already and will do the other half this weekend if i have a chance. I'll post pix too! Definately sounds much better than stock!

-olskoolgs
Old 04-16-02, 07:55 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, sometimes you can't do what's ideal, (I'd like a sub in the middle of my dash, but it's not practical in a daily driver) I bet it'll still sound great.
Old 04-16-02, 08:33 PM
blitz
Pole Position

Originally posted by olskoolGS
also the 6.5 focals are too deep to install in the front doors (windows roll too far down and will hit it) but the depth is fine for the back doors...

-olskoolgs

my 6.5 in the front was ok...no window hittings..and i think utopia has deeper depth than yours. try it.
Old 04-17-02, 06:15 AM
olskoolGS
Driver School Candidate

blitz - i'll try it out again... but the max mounting depth on the GS is probably less than your 98 LS. The speaker hole is right in front of where the window is when its rolled down. I'm pretty sure it won't fit... but i'll give it another try... max for the GS is around 2.5-2.6 inches depth i think.

come to think of it... The LS front speaker location is down toward the bottom of the door (my parents have one) while my GS has the speaker almost right in the middle of the door panel. hmm... don't think it'll work. thanks for the suggestion anyways.

kyle - yup... i wish i could fit the kick panels... btw, nice job on your prev. civic

-olskoolGS
Old 04-17-02, 06:49 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

hey guys, sorry little off topic, but want ur opinions what would be better getting 6'' component speakers up front and 5 1/4'' components in rear or jsut get 2way coaxils up front, 2way coailxs in the rear and then another set of 2way coaxilsin the ceiling or in the kickpanels. is it better to have components or more speakers.
Old 04-17-02, 07:12 PM
olskoolGS
Driver School Candidate

I would say components are almost always better. With coaxials you have the tweeter (highs are very directional and are what make most of the soundstage) aiming straight at your shins. With components, you can aim the tweets to your taste.

there are exceptions to this, of course. There are some coaxials with aimable tweets and special sound directing thingamajiggies... (forgot what they're called) i think some polk audio coaxs have them. To answer your question though.... get components if your budget allows... at least for the front. coaxials will be fine for the rear fills.

hope that helps! now back to the subject at hand... my car... j/k

-olskoolgs
Old 04-17-02, 08:31 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

olschoolgs, thanks alot, guess thats true. good point u made. thanks. lol back to ur car. any other opinions??