Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Got my new Focal 3 ways components!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-02, 01:00 PM
olskoolGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Got my new Focal 3 ways components!

I just got my set of Focal Polyglass 3 way 165 V3s! Can't wait to put these suckers in! (hopefully i'll have time tomorrow!)

For those that don't know, I have a '95 GS300 w/ Nak sound. I'm gonna put the 4" mid and 1" tweater in the front door stock mounting points and I'm gonna be making a baffle/mounting thing out of MDF for the 6.5 in the rear doors.

For now i'm gonna be using the stock amp (40watts @ 4ohms) the polyglass 3 ways are 2.8ohms with 93db sensitivity so it might actually be a little louder than stock speakers. I'm only gonna use the front channels on the amp for now.

within 2 months i'm probably gonna be upgrading my head unit and amp. I wanna get the Pioneer DEH-P840MP head unit:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/deh-p840mp.htm

but i don't know which amp to get. Someone told me that Mark Antony amps are pretty good. I can get the G-spot series for a pretty good deal. Anybody have any experience with them?

http://www.audioindex.cc/gspot-tseries.htm

...suggest away! =)

-olskoolGS
Old 04-06-02, 01:05 PM
olskoolGS
Driver School Candidate

some pix:
Attached Thumbnails Got my new Focal 3 ways components!-dscf1210-f.jpg  
Old 04-06-02, 01:10 PM
olskoolGS
Driver School Candidate

more pix:
Attached Thumbnails Got my new Focal 3 ways components!-dscf1211-f.jpg  
Old 04-06-02, 02:39 PM
olskoolGS
Driver School Candidate

one more pix:
Attached Thumbnails Got my new Focal 3 ways components!-dscf1212-f.jpg  
Old 04-08-02, 03:04 PM
olskoolGS
Driver School Candidate

Anyone have any pointers in installing the 6.5s in the rear? So far i'm gonna use a XTC baffle and MDF mounted in the factory holes in the doors... This is along with the factory weather stripping (plastic baggy thingy)

Should i make the MDF mount a total enclosure? (ie... make the mdf mount and a box that extends inside it into the door... to make it sealed)...

oh yeah... if you didn't get it from my SN, i have the prev gen GS...

Oh yeah... the door panel was a bi0tch to get off!

thanks for you help!

-olskoolGS
Old 04-08-02, 04:38 PM
blitz
Pole Position

Originally posted by olskoolGS
yeah... the door panel was a bi0tch to get off!
hello,

if you think taking off the door panels are *****. then....i will say you are going to have some hard times to installing that 3 ways.

i have 98 ls400 and i think taking off the door panel is the easiest part.

i don't know about your car but i had a serious problem with my front 6.5. b/c my focal utopia was too deep and was touching the door panel after it was done.

i tried to keep up and save using all my factory parts.

good luck.
Old 04-08-02, 05:13 PM
olskoolGS
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by blitz

hello,

if you think taking off the door panels are *****. then....i will say you are going to have some hard times to installing that 3 ways.

i have 98 ls400 and i think taking off the door panel is the easiest part.

i don't know about your car but i had a serious problem with my front 6.5. b/c my focal utopia was too deep and was touching the door panel after it was done.

i tried to keep up and save using all my factory parts.

good luck.

Actually... I'm gonna mount the 6.5s in the rear doors (where there's plenty of clearance) and the 4" mids and 1" tweeters in the factory locations in the front door.... so I *shouldn't* (knock on wood) have installation problems.

I'll keep everyone posted on my progress... well... i probably won't get to installing it untill this weekend.

-olskoolGS
Old 04-08-02, 05:24 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

may i ask why u are putting the 6'' woofer in the back and not also up front. with jsut mids and highs up front and ur low end notes comming from the rear its gonna sound strange, esp for back seat people. ?????
Old 04-08-02, 05:52 PM
olskoolGS
Driver School Candidate

bass is omnidirectional... so for the front passengers it shouldn't matter too much. As for the rear passengers... i'm probably gonna install some tweets in the rear doors where the factory speaker vents are in the door... still workin' on that though...

-olskoolGS
Old 04-08-02, 05:58 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

uhm yea i guess that will work, prob saved u alot of money only buyn one set of compeonets, instead of two. but the 6 woofer doesnt get that low. so wouldnt it still might sound a little funny?
Old 04-08-02, 06:02 PM
olskoolGS
Driver School Candidate

u're right... the 6.5 doesn't get that low...

But... i have a 12" Alpine typeR sub for the low-lows...=)

I've sat in a SC with the same setup as mine (focal 165v3s...xcept the 6.5s were in the stock locations in the rear deck) and it sounded pretty damn good from both the rear seat and the front seats...

i'll let ya know how it sounds!

-olskoolGS
Old 04-09-02, 01:24 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That Pioneer head unit is NICE! Now if they would only make a damn touch screen monitor for Nav like Kenwood!
Old 04-09-02, 09:29 AM
olskoolGS
Driver School Candidate

anyone know how do get into the rubber gasket thing that has all the wires in it that is between the door and the car body? It could be a problem if i can't run wires between the front door (where the crossover is gonna be mounted) and the rear door (where the 6.5 is gonna be mounted)... I guess i'm trying to find out how to run the speaker wire from the door into the body and out to the rear door.

thanks for your help!

-olskoolGS

edit:

oh yeah... that pioneer IS nice... thats why i wanna get one they go for around 360+20 s/h on ebay... so its a fairly good deal too!
Old 04-10-02, 04:42 PM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Manaray.. why do you want touchscreen??

I have a friend with the Kenwood touchscreen and all that shows up is fingerprints!!! It looks really bad.. he hates it!! He's constantly wiping off the screen...

Plus.. the oils in your hands over time would eat away at the screen when it heats up, making marks on it!! Ever seen one of those touchscreen ordering machines at McDonalds?? The screen is all marked up where they push it!!

I love the Pioneer unit... I'll probably be getting it whenever I save up enough for a headunit install... I'm actually envious of you cuz you have a center channel speaker!! You can use the avm-p9000r!! LUCKY!!
Old 04-15-02, 11:37 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm with Sprinkles, you'd get better results by putting the 6.5's in the front of the car as well.

The frequencies that the 6.5's will be playing are still localizeable and directional, you would get much better staging and imaging by keeping all the mids and highs in the front of the car.

If you're up for a little dirty work; why not put the 4's and tweeters in custom kickpanels and the 6.5's in the doors? This would IMO be a much nicer setup; and the kickpanels aren't really as hard as they seem. You should be able to build an MDF spacer in the door to get a little more clearance for the midbass if you need to. Check this link if you're interested in the kickpanels, and I'd be glad to help if you had any questions along the way. members.cardomain.com/kyle_harty

Quick Reply: Got my new Focal 3 ways components!