Sponsored by:

how do you wire an illuminated front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-02, 02:28 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you wire an illuminated front license plate

how cann i wire up an illuminated license plate to the front of my truck. you know the chrome ones with the lexus word in blue. i know for the rear i can just tap off of the licesnse plate lights. but there are non in the front. where should i tap into
Old 04-15-02, 11:54 PM
concepts
Driver

Tap the headlights or parking lights and drop it down the bumper if you plan to have it come on when you have either one of those lights on.
Old 04-16-02, 09:16 AM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

you can do that to the headlight, or parking light, it wont change the amps on it. or have any effect??? hey by the way, thanlks for responding.
Old 04-16-02, 04:56 PM
concepts
Driver

No, you should have no problems with LEDs since they pull so little current anyway. Headlights are about 55-65 watts divided by 12, thats about 3-4 amps per bulb, shouldnt be a problem, I am sure Lexus overkills everything. If you are worrying tripping fault lights, it wont happen (especially if you tap the headlight circuit)
Old 04-16-02, 05:02 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

aight cool, so should i just splice into the wires leading into the headlights, or go from somwhere else like fuse box or something?
Old 04-16-02, 05:29 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I put those nozzle lights on my LS and I wired from the fuse box, since its easier to do, and easy to take out.. i had it wired to the headlight fuse so whenever I turned them on, they'd turn on too.. but beware! I got a ticket for them already! :eek: the same weekend I put them on.. so wire them to some sort of other swithc, so you can turn it off.. ON a related note, I have yet to put a switch in my car, anyone have any ideas or done anythign similar? Some that looks good ? I've got a 94 LS400..
Old 04-16-02, 09:10 PM
Zulfie
Driver

Depends on where you want to put the switch....

There really aren't any dead switches in the car to replace with a functional one, and I don't believe that you want to mess up the asethics of the interior with a non factory switch....

MY recommendation is to place one on the lower kick panel under the steering wheel, where its out of place, and out of sight....
Old 04-17-02, 04:09 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nozzle lights? So rice....
Old 04-17-02, 07:05 AM
concepts
Driver

I think he was talking about license plate LED lights, so it would be easier to tap the headlight or parking light wire at the front and drop it down the front (behind) bumper.

Yes, wire it to either one.
Old 04-17-02, 07:54 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Rice? Yea I thought about that but I had a reason for putting them on and they didn't look that bad.. Its kind of hard to rice out an LS400..
Old 04-17-02, 09:40 AM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

rice? are u guys saying the license plate thing is rice. (now remember its not the sqaure neon ones, it just a chrome license plate with the word lexus in script illumintaed a nice blue.)
Old 04-17-02, 07:48 PM
Litfuse
Driver School Candidate

keep in mind that a RED and/or Blue light of any kind, facing foward on a non-emergency vehicle IS illegal..

Last edited by Litfuse; 04-17-02 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-18-02, 02:18 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was refering to the "nozzle" lights...the ones that some civic guys even think is too rice!

It's easy to rice out any car...ever seen a LS400 with chrome door trim, chrome fender trim, faded gold plated logos, a V8 emblem from some other car, bubbled purple tint, some cr@p aftermarket 14" wheels (chromed of course!) with some mismatched tires, VTEC stickers, Mugen stickers, and other non-related stickers, nozzle lights, underbody neon...

There you go, a riced out LS400...see, it's not hard...you just have to shop at PepBoys!
Old 04-18-02, 07:52 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Default oh boy..

Oh boy.. Manaray, I don't even know what to say to that. What a horrible sight.. Haha well I just put the nozzle lights on because I had them, I wanted to see what they looked like.. and I kind of liked the look. I just like neon in general, I know its a rice thing.. They're off now anyways..
Old 04-19-02, 07:18 AM
concepts
Driver

If you have GS, study your nozzles. They have 3 pin out sprays.
Most cars will have 2. It is also painted. Dont go nozzles (and I sell hundreds of these things)..dont go nozzle on a Lexus. Please.

Quick Reply: how do you wire an illuminated front license plate