Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Xtant Amps

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-02, 08:24 AM
Audio PHD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's wrong with 2 set of componets in a car??
Old 05-09-02, 08:45 AM
lisnup65
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by BabaBooey

"The average system consists of 2 sets of compnents and 2 subs."

I don't know what kind of systems you see, but I definitely don't see a lot of systems with two sets of components. I hope you're not referring to components in the back of the vehicle rather than coaxials...
Dependant on the customers budget and expectations determines if coaxial or components are placed in the rear. I am a firm beleiver in a sound stage with only rear fill, but consumers are not all in agreeance with that. Those are the consumers that almost always want equal to what is placed in front. With audio systems becoming more like full blown multi-media systems it is becoming more and more important to do more than a simple coax in the rear. I just set a system up that will be an Iasca competitor that has a full bolwn video system also. The challenge was to use the DD/DTS 5.1 channels for multi-media, but then to simply make it a sound Q vehicle at the flip of a switch. This vehicle was setup with Focal Utopia 6.5" components in the kicks, a single Utopia 4" and tweeter in the upper dash, and Diamond Hex 6.5" for the rears. During CD the rears are attuated 12DB and the tweeters are delayed .15ms for. No center channel during this time. During MM playback the rears are back to full volume, the center is on, and the delay is based dependant on the users preference. This worked out very well as the customers staging is quite nice and the system is really impressive with a DVD in the source unit.

My point is their are definitely reasons to use multiple component sets. Its driven by budget and expectations. Its tougher and tougher these days to do the simple 4Ohm drivers in front and the 3DB down 8 ohms in the rear as most companies do not offer these configurations.
Old 05-10-02, 03:22 PM
BabaBooey
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't personally know anyone who prefers a majority of the sound coming from the rear of the car. If you have a multimedia setup, then yes, I can understand putting some decent rearfill in the back; however, I would severely attentuate the rear speakers when playing any music. The soundstage should be as close to head level and in the area in front of the front driver/passanger's faces. Having a loud rearfill will pullthe soundstage back to an undesirable location. Installing good components in the back will cost money that could have been spent on install or better equipment....
Old 05-14-02, 07:33 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Audio PHD
What's wrong with 2 set of componets in a car??
IME, nothing wrong! In my older setup I had the equivalent of two Dynaudio system 240mkII's. One pair for the fronts, one pair for the rears. Only reason why I went for this is well...it's Dynaudio and they're all matched sonics wise. I used to run MBQ (big time...several component sets tried over the short time I had them) with the Dyns but they didn't match well together. Plus the Dyns were much easier to tune out and were far more neutral with a wider soundstage.

Sold all the MBQ (160.03 - 2 sets, 218.03's - 2 sets, 130.03 - 1 set, 130.02 - 1 set, HX25 - 1set) for the Dyns. Thank goodness for MBQ advertising and "image brand", otherwise they wouldn't have sold like hotcakes!

Percy
Old 05-14-02, 07:35 AM
Percy

I don't personally know anyone who prefers a majority of the sound coming from the rear of the car. If you have a multimedia setup, then yes, I can understand putting some decent rearfill in the back; however, I would severely attentuate the rear speakers when playing any music. The soundstage should be as close to head level and in the area in front of the front driver/passanger's faces. Having a loud rearfill will pullthe soundstage back to an undesirable location. Installing good components in the back will cost money that could have been spent on install or better equipment....
And I've heard of one case where a Pontiac Firebird was still using the stock paper speakers (6x9) for rear fill. It did the job nicely for her install too!

Percy
Old 05-14-02, 07:39 AM
Percy

Originally posted by retrodrive
lol...you never know who is lurking on our boards
That brings up the time when a product manager and a product designer for the Alpine F#1 Status came on board! He still never answered the electronics component question correctly though...

Percy
Old 05-14-02, 07:26 PM
BabaBooey
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Percy

And I've heard of one case where a Pontiac Firebird was still using the stock paper speakers (6x9) for rear fill. It did the job nicely for her install too!

Percy
Doesn't Richard Clark do that? I guess it's preference,but I would concentrate on frontstage significantly moreso than rearfill.

"I am a firm beleiver in a sound stage with only rear fill"

Is that a typo?
Old 05-14-02, 08:04 PM
Percy

Doesn't Richard Clark do that? I guess it's preference,but I would concentrate on frontstage significantly moreso than rearfill.

"I am a firm beleiver in a sound stage with only rear fill"

Is that a typo?
I guess it's kinda close. Front stage with a rear fill. But, either one is a good description.

Percy