Sponsored by:

Xtant Amps

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-02, 07:40 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Xtant Amps

Anyone have any experience with Xtant amps?
Old 04-10-02, 11:46 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question

I'm curious as well. (The clowns at Tweeter told me that the Xtants were designed by the same guy that designed the new JL amps. And the heat sinks on both are vertical as well, so that seems feasible. Haven't verified it yet.)

Anyone have any comments regarding sound quality, especially when cranked up? Do their amps tend to get hot, or require a lot of ventilation (even with the fans)?
Old 04-10-02, 07:08 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what Ive heard about the Xtant line is that there very good, but there not worth the money. You can get a PPI amp or a Zapco amp for less money and have the same sound quality from them. But Im not an expert on this so dont quote me
Old 04-11-02, 04:56 PM
rhart00
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want some high quality amps I would go for brax/helix, arc audio, or mcintosh. Xtant amps are good quality but I don't think they are worth the money either.

Ryan

Last edited by rhart00; 04-11-02 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-12-02, 08:59 AM
BabaBooey
Driver

Being that I seem to be the only person on this forum that can't hear a difference between amps putting out the same power, I'm going to say go with JL because of the absurd amount of features (regulated power supply, AWESOME xover, etc...). Cost a bit much for me, though. Assuming that I wasn't able to sell whatever amp I was given, I would take JL over Brax, McIntosh, etc... The fact that it puts out the same power up to 8 ohms means Morel, SEAS, and several other awesome speaker brands can be brought into play without worrying about output...
Old 04-12-02, 11:14 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by BabaBooey
Being that I seem to be the only person on this forum that can't hear a difference between amps putting out the same power, I'm going to say go with JL because of the absurd amount of features (regulated power supply, AWESOME xover, etc...).
I guess you live in a lab

Anyway, I can hear difference even between 2 arc amps of approximately the same power with x-overs at the same point but that's just me.

I must agree on JL. It is a bang for the buck amp. Has all features that ARC does (even same xovers) but cheaper. I don't like how they look though.
Old 04-13-02, 05:55 AM
BabaBooey
Driver

Didn't used to be cheaper. Don't know if you were around ECA during the group deal days... 2100 CXL for $210= YUM! I bought it, used it for about 6 months, and sold it for $10 profit . If I could get three for ~$500, I would probably run their equipment rather than JBL 180.2's ($445 total) for my next system. Same goes for JL... If I could fit horns in my vehicle that could play down to the 500hz range (not sure if any can go that low sans distortion, though I've been told Veritas go VERY low), then I would love to run the 1000/1's to a pair of Morel 8's. That or do the Morel's in the doors and put some Lotus midrange's to cover up to where the CD1pro MH's pick up, though I'd imagine fitting all that space in an ES300 would be QUITE difficult. Just talking about this setup is making my nipples hard. I'm going to take a warm shower...

... and yes I am drunk BTW, though my typing/grammar skills are still top notch. Got a 33 in English on the ACT, beat that ****'s...

Last edited by BabaBooey; 04-13-02 at 06:05 AM.
Old 05-02-02, 09:02 AM
drmusic
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Ok guys if you look at what an xtant amp ahs to offer you will realize than it is worth all the money! If you take a x603 that is 75 x2 & 150 x 1,or 75 x 4 with passive out puts active & 325x @ 2ohms for sub bass)passive out puts to allow you to play the rear speakers at a lower volume than the fronts! The amp also has built in line level converters so you can use your factory radio and noise gates to eliminate system hiss and line drivers to match the output from your factory radio and it has cooling fans and the ability to add eq modules to the amp also! I'm not just blowins smoke here guys I own 3 of them and 1 is in my wife's car playing 10 speakers! for 999.99 and to get all of these features in a single amp you would have to spend alot more money and take up a lot more room also!

Jeff Smith
Cartunes Atlanta GA
404-256-5600
Old 05-02-02, 11:05 AM
BabaBooey
Driver

There is absolutely not reason to be powering 10 speakers. Way more sources of sound than necessary. And I can get the same features/power for MUCH cheaper...
Old 05-02-02, 01:26 PM
Audio PHD
Driver School Candidate

Red face

Well bababooey if you would ask why and where 10 speakers are located in what kind of car you would understand! And if you were a reatil customer off the street were could you find that many products for 999.99 with a 4 years warranty out of the box?? Sorry for the name change I was using a customers log in!

PS if you would like to see this amp running 10 speakers check out the June issue of Car Audio and Electronics. My car is featured on page 46!

Last edited by Audio PHD; 05-02-02 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-02-02, 07:37 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

lol...you never know who is lurking on our boards
Old 05-07-02, 06:13 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Audio PHD
PS if you would like to see this amp running 10 speakers check out the June issue of Car Audio and Electronics. My car is featured on page 46!
Well bababooey........ouch!
Old 05-08-02, 08:42 AM
lisnup65
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by BabaBooey
There is absolutely not reason to be powering 10 speakers. Way more sources of sound than necessary. And I can get the same features/power for MUCH cheaper...
10 speakers is too much!!?? The average system consists of 2 sets of compnents and 2 subs. My last count, that would be 10 speakers. That is a non-exotic system, but rather an improved factory set-up.
Old 05-08-02, 08:56 AM
Audio PHD
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Well guys my reply was not to blast Bababooey but to give him knowledge of a product that is very nice if you take the time to enjoy it's features!! I've install a lot of these amps into Lexus car before w/ & w/o factory radio's and speakers and subs!!!My set up consist of a sony cdxc-910 cdxt-52 6 disc changer and MB quart psd 316 3 way componet set, RKC 113 51/4" coaxials and 2 xtant 10" a series sub woofers all driven by an xtant 603x!!! Check out the article it's pretty nice!! If anyone ever need audio advise let me know!!
Old 05-08-02, 12:25 PM
BabaBooey
Driver

I didn't think of "speakers" in terms of tweeters and midbass seperately. I'm sorry that I misinterpreted his explanation.

"The average system consists of 2 sets of compnents and 2 subs."

I don't know what kind of systems you see, but I definitely don't see a lot of systems with two sets of components. I hope you're not referring to components in the back of the vehicle rather than coaxials...

Quick Reply: Xtant Amps