Sponsored by:

ML Surround Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-09, 09:59 AM
bobsobi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ML Surround Problems

I've read through a number of threads here, and there seems to be issues with the surround capabilities of the ML system. I've scheduled a service appointment with my dealer for next week, but in the meantime I'm hoping that a few of you here may be able to offer some words of wisdom.

The most frequent problem is the DVD player's handling of DualDiscs -- I can select the surround mix from the menu, but the display always indicates it's playing the stereo mix. This happens with every DD I have. My home system has no difficulty whatsoever playing DD surround mixes, so I know it's not the media. (I know there's an issue with the CD side not being Redbook compliant, but I've yet to find anything alluding to problems with the DVD side.)

Worse, at least one of my DVD-As plays with the rear channel content completely missing from the mix. The missing instruments are there in stereo, though. Again, my home system plays this disc properly.

I know that high-resolution music formats are marginalized, but for the few of us who pulled the trigger on the ML option expressly for this functionality, I find that this is unacceptable. Has anyone with similar experience had success with repair/replacement of their ML components? Can someone here recommend anyone within Lexus who may be relatively well-versed in the company's sound systems?
Old 08-11-09, 02:55 PM
bobsobi
Driver

Well, the service manager and his lead technician both agree there are issues with my ML system, but they're at a loss over what they can do. They have a factory rep coming this Thursday, but since I can't be there, they're going to get me some dates when I can bring it back when the rep is available.

Beyond the DVD-player problems, this system really doesn't have anything close to flat, accurate frequency response. There's a big peak in the lower midrange that makes vocals and drum kits obnoxiously tubby. (High frequency response, on the other hand, is quite good with good imaging.) No amount of bass and midrange **** fiddling can tame it. The marketing literature for ML indicates that the system is tuned to the cabin, at least for the LS. Does anyone here have any idea whether it's also tuned to the ES cabin? Sure doesn't seem like it. If not, Lexus should have offered the functionality of a multi-band equalizer for such a "high-end" system.
Old 08-13-09, 01:59 AM
brtnrdr1x
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

love my non-ML hahaaaa..i always hear problems w/ ML
Old 08-14-09, 12:41 PM
bobsobi
Driver

Does anyone have any constructive comments?

For what it's worth, the stock sound system in my '99 ES blew away the non-ML systems of recent years (and, except for less power and no surround capability, had flatter frequency response and more natural sound than my current ES ML system -- I would have driven that car into the ground just for the excellent sound if I hadn't been T-boned in May). There are a number of posts in this forum that seem to indicate that Lexus sound quality started to suffer a few years later.

My wife has always been annoyed that her '01 RX doesn't sound nearly as good as the '99 ES did.

The few times I've had the opportunity to tool around in my neighbor's '07 IS, it was obvious that the car's stock system is also decidedly inferior to my old ES, although he doesn't care. He usually cranks it to its limits -- he seems to have developed a taste for IM & clipping distortion.
Old 08-26-09, 08:26 AM
bobsobi
Driver

Well, the dealer got back to me yesterday -- they're taking my car in tonight. The lead tech, after discussing it with a factory rep, said they decided to start by replacing the amp. Then, when the factory rep arrives tomorrow, they will put the system through its paces. They requested I leave affected discs in the player along with a page of notes so they can reproduce the anomalies.
Old 09-05-09, 07:32 AM
bobsobi
Driver

Not done yet.

I picked up my car yesterday. They brought the audio system manufacturer into the loop a week ago. Word came back Thursday that they are working on a solution, but couldn't offer a time frame, so I brought the loaner back and now I'm waiting for a call back when they're ready with a fix.