Sponsored by:

Nakamichi In Non Nakamichi GS3

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-09, 01:00 PM
SilvaLex98
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nakamichi In Non Nakamichi GS3

Hi I'm new to this forum, I have tried to seach but found nothing. I am actually planning on installing Nakamichi sound system in my 98 GS300 that came with the pioneer sound system. I have all the speakers except the Subwoofer. (will use the one my car has until i cn find the correct one if they are even different) I have the 5channel amp as well. My question is... Will everything just Plug in? Will the head unit speakers and amp just bolt out bolt in and plug in and everything will work? Thanks in advance for your insight.
Old 08-15-09, 01:34 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are you speaking of the OEM Nakamichi HU?

I think the plugs are different. They might be diffrent in the CD Changer too.

The OEM AMPS I think are the same.

when you say you have a 5 chanel amp. Is this the OEM amp? w/ the pioneer or your aftermarket amp?

Why do you want the OEM HU?

You can replace with aftermarket HU with a mounting double din kit they sell for the Second GEN GS
Old 08-15-09, 05:00 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Don't know about the 98 GS but a stereo repair shop guy told me that the architecture of the Nakamichi system in the 98-00 LS400 is different than the standard system. Some functions controlled in the headunit of the standard Pioneer are controlled in the amp of the Nak and vice versa. The Nak amp in my 00 LS has four connectors but the standard Pioneer amp has five. Even the CD changer in my 00 LS is different than the CD changer in an 00 LS with the standard Pioneer system.

The worst part is that it is getting difficult to have Nakamichi components fixed -- parts supplies are drying up. Nakamichi pretty much collapsed about the time Toyota/Lexus abandoned them. The Florida shop I used last year to repair my Nak told me that I was lucky -- only some resoldering was required. Don't know if Lexus dealers can still provide refurbished Nak amps and head units ... may have to give up on my Nak if it breaks again.

I have to say that the Nak in my 00 LS is pretty incredible ... will hate to give it up and hardwire an aftermarket system in when the time comes but would like to have some of the features that aftermarket double DIN head units provide.
Old 08-15-09, 06:42 PM
SilvaLex98
Driver School Candidate

ok what i meant by 5 channel amp was, from reading differnt threads i've learned that the nak amp is a five channel amp.. im not sure if the pioneer amp is also 5 channels. I know for a fact the two amps are diff.. the size alone... the nak amp is huge and get placed in the trunk under the mat. the pioneer is tiny and goes in the glove box aerea, i installed the nak speakers and through in the head unit it plugs in but when i turn on the car it blows the dome light fuse. so im guessing i cannot use the hu until i instll the nak amp.. my question is how hard is it going to be to get those wires to trunk to mount it the same stock location on a NAK GS.. and does anyone knw where i could find this nak harness for the radio to the amp so i dont have to spice or cut any of my stock wires?
Old 08-15-09, 07:16 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow you are very determined my friend.

Good luck to you.

For the harness I would say the Junk yard or the Dealer.

Either way I don't see it being worth the money you could replace it with some aftermarket HU.
Old 08-16-09, 06:32 AM
SilvaLex98
Driver School Candidate

that was my nxt ques actually... is it worth it!? lol idk i'll see what happpens i have a parts car but i can imagine how hard it will be to get that entire harness out and to run it in my car...