Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

98 GS 300 - Factory Radio Wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-02, 07:37 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 98 GS 300 - Factory Radio Wiring?

Good evening all:

I'm upgrading to an aftermarket head unit (Alpine CDA-7995) and I was wondering if anyone had the wiring schematic/diagram/color coding for the factory stereo. It's the Pioneer system. I'd ask Percy directly but he's helped me so much already I feel guilty. On a side note, I bought a large black plastic piece from Crutchfield that I'm going to make a aftermarket faceplate with. It was only $12 and I think it'll match up pretty well.

Thanks to anyone who replies! The only reason I'm upgrading is because for fun last weekend I bought a JVC head unit from Best Buy; I was curious how much different an aftermarket would sound with all other things being equal. It's like a night and day difference, even with high quality LLC's, amps and speakers. I'll post some pics when it's complete...
Old 04-13-02, 12:31 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Default Percy? Mene Gene?

If you have a file you could shoot me I would be SOOO happy.

sparky3@primenet.com

Thanks!
Old 04-15-02, 11:44 PM
concepts
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what you need:

I'll try to help you even though you didnt buy from us (but hey, we are all GS brothers and sisters here right?)

See my install

http://www.autotoys.com/New_Tech/DIY...io_install.htm

You need the following from http://store.autotoys.com

1761 harness (search under 1761)

Do you have NAK?
If so, you will also need a VENDETTA 4 (see dash kit department > converters)

You will need an ABS panel

See our TOOLS department

TO make it look nice, I recommend some vinyl (thats how I finished my car), search under vinyl at http://store.autotoys.com or look under tools. Those ABS panels look like crap. I am going to fabricate the kit out of sheet metal this weekend (give it a shot) and finish it in a dull finish.

To make a din size radio fit EASILY in your dash and hold easily (if you dont have much experience), buy the LS400 kit in metal. Search under LX3 at http://store.autotoys.com

This will allow you to hold you radio in place using the factory brackets (you will need some tinkering, but I did all that)

Oh, one last thing. If you go with the vinyl in black, you will also need a can of spray glue (see tools department)

Trying to get the kit manufacturers to make a Gs300/400 kit for 98+ -- I'll bring my car over to the kit manufacturers since I already have it templated out, wish us luck (yeah right, if anything can be done so quickly)
Old 04-16-02, 08:54 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Default Thanks for your help! But...

I only needed the wiring schematic, not any of the other items. I should have the mounting and faceplate ready to go. Do you have the color coding available?

Thanks!

Shawn
Old 04-16-02, 04:57 PM
concepts
Driver

Sorry, I only know what I did with the toyota harness, a few of the leads were reversed...I didnt document it, sorry.

BTW: The GS400 trim kit is in the works (confirmed today) and we should be the first to have an KIT MANUFACTURER with the kit in our hands shortly.

The IS300 is will be hitting soon.
Old 04-17-02, 01:59 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Thumbs up Figured it out on my own!

Got the alpine unit in. As far as the wiring, here's how I did it/figured it out:

There's a wire off the factory amp marked "GROUND". It's grey, and clearly labeled. Check, first wire run.

2nd wire? Accessory/Ignition. I used a test light and found a wire that goes to the cigarrette lighter that's hot only when the key is on accessory. Check, 2nd wire run.

3rd wire? 12 VDC/battery. Again, using a test light, I found a wire that was hot all the time, even with the key out. Check.

4th wire? Illumination lead. Good 'ol test light! On the smaller of the 2 wiring brackets, the 2nd from the right on the top row (as it's plugged into the factory radio) is the wire. How to test? Put your $2.99 test light on the lead, with the key switched to "on", and then DIM the lights. This will cause the test light to get BRIGHTER. Maybe that forces an alignment with the Sun, Moon & Stars (or a drop in voltage) but the opposite of what you think happens.

5th wire ? Remote turn on. Self explanatory.

I know everyone knows all this already, but I've been up for about 20 hours now, so I don't have the brain power to speak super technically.

As far as the mounting bracket, Crutchfield has a flat uncut piece of plastic that they will sell you for about $9. I have one left if anyone's interested. I popped the 2 buttons off the factory Pioneer deck, and gently used it as a template for the plastic piece. I took a jigsaw and cut the basic outline of the plastic, then took a soldering iron to "start" the hole in the center for the DIN sized aftermarket Alpine head unit. I used the detachable face as a rough template, and centered it up suprisingly well! I finished the cut with the jigsaw (remember, the closer the teeth on the blade, the finer the cut).

All in all, I'm very happy how evenly I got it and how cheap this was. 5 or 6 butt connectors, 3 bucks for some new jigsaw blades, the use of my Dad's bench grinder, a soldering gun, and some common sense (don't forget the test light!) and PATIENCE made this possible.

I was going to paint the faceplate, but it looks very good in there! Plus the paint I'd purchased was a bit too glossy. So ok, I'm out more for the paint ($15) than on the rest of the entire install.

Pics to follow SOMEDAY.

Of course, I'll probably look at it in the bright light tomorrow and hate it. How's that for being born under a bad sign? LOL

P.S. REPLACE THE HEAD UNIT IMMEDIATELY, it's a NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE. I would argue it's much more noticeable that upgrading the speakers. Line Output converters (AKA distortion passers) can rot in hell. It's SO NICE to be able to turn my entire system off with a remote wire and NO stupid "wire it directly to the accessory lead" crap! There's a reason Lexus is able to mass produce that head unit; I'd put my system up against anyone that still has the factory head unit and didn't spend gazillions on high end amps. My setup now is loud, tight, and very sharp. Blah blah blah I sound like I think I'm the king of the world - see what happens when I get sleepy? I'm sure I'll recant most of these statements later, but when you have high quality variable bitrate mp3's (11 albums on one CD) with ARTIST/SONG/ALBUM scrolling by on a one hour drive home, you really will never miss that ol' piece of crap Pioneer head unit.

Get the Alpine 7995. Today. You'll thank me for it.

Last edited by sparky3; 04-17-02 at 02:01 AM.
Old 04-17-02, 07:08 AM
concepts
Driver

Someone is in a good mood.

Seriously, enjoy your music and your new tunes.