Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

which is bettr. 6 coaxil speakers or 4 component speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-02 | 11:02 AM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

Default which is bettr. 6 coaxil speakers or 4 component speakers

ok i am thinking about the infiinity reference series should i get 2 sets of the component speakers and place the tweeters on the dash and the ones in the rear on the door panels, or get 3 sets of the regular speakrs (2way) and place them in the doors frnt and rear and the third set in the ceiling in the back. (rx300) im thinkin it would sound better in general with the extra set. i want it loud. and clear. im powrin it with an audiobahn AB 6channel amp. the amp is also capably of up to 9 channels but then i loose stereo and have to start bridging and crap.
ps, bass is not a concern, already have a huge system.
Old 04-17-02 | 09:00 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

I'd go with the components, components' crossovers are better quality than coax's of the same line. The tweeters are also not interfering with the midrange in components.

I believe in better quality speakers and lots of power being better than more speakers, especially if you're concerned with staging and imaging. Too many sources of sound can make it much more difficult if not impossible to get precise, clear imaging and staging. The less speakers, more power setup should get as loud and sound much better doing it.
Old 04-18-02 | 07:12 AM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

hmm ur the second person that told me to go with componnets. hmm well we'll see. maybe ill go with full components, and add the 5th and 6th channel at kickpanels with coaxils.
Old 04-18-02 | 04:33 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

If you've got 6 channels to work with; here's what I'd do. Bi-amp the front speakers, use 2 channels for the mids and 2 for the tweeters, then 2 channels for the rear speakers. This way the front speakers will be louder than the rears so most of the sound will be coming from in front of you. You'll probably need an external active crossover for the front stage since your amp's crossover won't be able to low pass the mid at the high end of it's frequency range, but IMO that's a much better option than using another set of speakers; assuming your speakers can handle the power.

If you're planning on a kickpanel location, I'd put the front stage components in the kicks, the kickpanels are usually the best location for speakers since path length differences are minimized and the speakers can be aimed.