Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Ground noise from hell

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-09, 04:00 PM
basketthis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a great writeup on how to properly fix it and a little more detail into the problems that can be caused by simply grounding it:
Please click here for more info
Old 09-27-09, 11:00 AM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by basketthis
I'm surprised that a professional installer of 10 years hadn't already tried that solution. And, I wouldn't use that a permanent fix because it can cause more problems down the road. A headunit's outputs are supposed to use a floating ground which is not the same as the vehicle ground. Without getting too far into the specifics, it causes problems and you actually have to disassemble your Pioneer unit (or send it out for service) and have the floating ground fuse replaced that is located inside the unit itself for the RCA outputs....
He did try it right off the bat but I guess he tried grounding the wrong side.
Here's a great writeup on how to properly fix it and a little more detail into the problems that can be caused by simply grounding it:
Please click here for more info
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
Old 09-28-09, 12:17 PM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A headunit's outputs are supposed to use a floating ground which is not the same as the vehicle ground.
The wierd thing is...is that nowadays its mostly just Pioneer who uses floating ground on their headunits...go figure!

So what you need to do...ESPECIALLY...if you own a Pioneer unit..is this:
1. Make sure your amplifier(s) are grounded REALLY well! (on the floor of the trunk, making shure its metal against metal)

2. Run a wire (it neednt be bigger than the remote wire) between the amps groundingpoint and the headunits chassie.

Having sold, and installed my fare share of, headunits of all kinds since the late 90's has atleast thaught me this much
Old 03-03-12, 10:45 PM
scott101
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Papajorgio
ive encountered a few pioneer head units with this problem, try grounding the rca outputs, i can draw a diagram if needed, what happens is sometimes the rca's ground circuit takes a dump from various stupid reasons, not saying the radio ground is bad but just the part that grounds the signal or shields the noise in the rca's, its alot easier then it sounds,,, thats my 2pennies for yah...
hello, old thread, i know, but i just bought an sc300 with an aftermarket head unit/ stereo and I have this same buzzing problem from the radio.

i would like to try this grounding out the rca output method. I have no radio experience and I was wondering if anyone could direct me to where that cable is?

Thanks
Scott