Sponsored by:

I have met my system goal!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-02, 12:26 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I have met my system goal!

Just to let everyone know, there is light at the end of the tunnel! I have replaced every darn wire associated with that stereo, and here's a free tip to anyone starting the process: Get a copy of Percy's primer! I wasted too much time teaching my stubborn self exactly how to do everything. Now I have a good working knowledge of yet another thing with no future application...

Anyway guys, it is possible to have hard hitting clean rock 'n' roll type bass in a GS, and also have low end for you rap fiends. It will take quite some time getting it perfect, but in the end, if you really enjoy the way it sounds, that's all that matters.

Thanks to all who have helped me keep my sanity the past few months; I finally have the nicest car I've ever owned WITH the best sounding system I've ever had....!

My random advice of 12 years installing audio as a hobbyist:

The ground wire is the most important wire, period.

Always run the same gauge power and ground wires.

Battery technology has come a long way; these gel cell batteries (In my opinion) are better than using caps.

You can get rid of the rattle if you try hard enough.

Use circuit breakers on the main power wire instead of fuseable links; it makes quickly killing power to all electronics quite handy.

Never open a trunk lid with melting snow on it if you have amps sitting in the trunk that aren't mounted yet. (Long story...)

Always run power wires and audio cables (RCA's) down separate sides of the vehicle to help prevent engine noise.

I absolutely have no idea why I just typed all of that.

I'm going to go sit in my car now and become hypnotized by the LED's.

Peace & Chicken Grease....

Shawn

Last edited by sparky3; 04-20-02 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-20-02, 03:17 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Word of Caution

Shawn - I like all your words of wisdom except one. I'd rather have a fuse protection system over a circuit breaker. I've had a main power wire circuit breaker ( a "waterproof" Stinger 150 amp ) stick in the closed position on me!:eek: It was due to corrosion & at least I found it before it became a problem ( good idea to to some system checkups periodically ). I feel that a fuse is foolproof ( it's either gonna complete the circuit or melt open ). It's not that much more trouble to remove/replace than pushing a reset button; at least not for MY piece of mind. Just something to consider.
Old 04-20-02, 05:20 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can I get a copy of Percy's Primer??
Old 04-20-02, 05:33 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Word of Caution

Originally posted by Mean Gene
Shawn - I like all your words of wisdom except one. I'd rather have a fuse protection system over a circuit breaker. I've had a main power wire circuit breaker ( a "waterproof" Stinger 150 amp ) stick in the closed position on me!:eek: It was due to corrosion & at least I found it before it became a problem ( good idea to to some system checkups periodically ). I feel that a fuse is foolproof ( it's either gonna complete the circuit or melt open ). It's not that much more trouble to remove/replace than pushing a reset button; at least not for MY piece of mind. Just something to consider.

You know, that's bad news to hear. I've got a couple of circuit breakers that I'd really hate to think about sticking closed (GULP )

I should really get some of those ANL type fuseholders & Fuses, as I've maxed out my type of fuse (80 Amp AGU). Considering the amount of money the gear/car costs, you're quite right. Let's agree on this: it's a nice thing to have in combination with another fuse type because of the ability to shut it off quickly.

Shawn "off to buy more ANL fuse holders" Clay