Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-02 | 04:37 PM
The Man 986
Rookie

Default Aftermarket Alternator

Hey guys I searched on the site for some info on an aftermarket alternator for my 1999 gs300 since I have 2 12s and a 500 watt amp and have a redtop battery but my lights still flash thus it seems as if its an alternator problem...but could u guys gimme some info on either what else i should get to reduce flashing of my lights..(i do have a 1.0 farad cap also)..or if I should get a new alternator and where and what I should get. Any help would be very helpful..thanx
Old 04-26-02 | 06:19 PM
lisnup65
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Aftermarket Alternator

Originally posted by The Man 986
Hey guys I searched on the site for some info on an aftermarket alternator for my 1999 gs300 since I have 2 12s and a 500 watt amp and have a redtop battery but my lights still flash thus it seems as if its an alternator problem...but could u guys gimme some info on either what else i should get to reduce flashing of my lights..(i do have a 1.0 farad cap also)..or if I should get a new alternator and where and what I should get. Any help would be very helpful..thanx
Ohio Generator should offer a model for you. E-mail me if you need more info. lisnup65@yahoo.com

Also forget the stiff cap(SC). Get a Batcap!!! The are batteries that discharge at the rate of a SC, but supply alot more juice. Enough storage to actually crank a car for 4 to 8 seconds. The are smaller than a SC and cost about the same. These truely are awesome!!!
Old 04-29-02 | 08:14 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Lightbulb Alternator Info

Man - Here's some food for thought concerning system power. The only advantage of an extra battery is that it buys U more time to play your system with the car not running. The disadvantage is that it's an extra load on your alternator ( & those go for around $500 ). U shouldn't have an voltage problem with the car running unless U have inadequate gauge wiring ( power & ground ). If ya feel the need for a higher voltage alternator then Ohio Generator can rewire your present one for 150-175 amps ( factory one is cold rated at 110 amps ). just be aware that higher amperage alternators have a tendency to introduce noise into your system ( even high quality ones like Ohio's or Stinger ). IMHO, unless U're building a serious SPL machine, a single Optima Yellow Top reinforced with either a Batcap or AlumiPro's C.A.P. ( 15 farads ) should power things nicely. I know this sounds funny coming from a guy with a trunk mounted Yellow Top dedicated just to the system but I've learned some things ( never too old - let's save those "Senior Moment" cracks for later, OK, Ron & Percy!! ) & am planning on re-doing thing w/o the second battery. My current plans now include using Jacob's Accuvolts for the sub & midbass amps. These work well with non-regulated amps like my RF's plus they clean up the signal. FWIW - I've removed the system battery & I don't have a lighting problem yet. Of course, I have 0 awg power & ground wires!!