Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Clean sweep from JL

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-09, 01:10 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

I forgot to mention. I'm running the 6.5 @ 125 hz on HP. When you said run 75 hz on band pass, is that AP?
Old 11-17-09, 03:05 PM
Lanson
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
I forgot to mention. I'm running the 6.5 @ 125 hz on HP. When you said run 75 hz on band pass, is that AP?
Band-pass means that I'm allowing the woofer to play a certain band of frequencies. I don't want my woofer to play higher frequencies that my tweeter does. A woofer trying to play higher than it should makes the woofer do a few nasty things. One is "beam", which creates interference patterns of the sound off-axis (like in a car door.) Beaming starts lower the bigger the woofer is...because of its size itself. The other is "breakup", which creates nasty peaks and drops in response off and on axis, and should be avoided. This is caused due to the cone itself quite literally resonating or "breaking up". Breakup is much worse in my opinion than beaming, but both should be avoided.

By forcing the woofer to roll off sounds above a certain point (~3k at 12dB/oct), and also roll off sounds below a certain point (75 at 12dB/oct), I have a woofer that is happily playing everything in the middle without distortion that I can hear.
Old 11-17-09, 06:52 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
You said you lowered the crossover point before when I asked. This is definitely contributing to the lack of midbass, since you're not really sending any midbass to the speakers.

Let me clarify when I said to dynamat the whole door. The doors of a GS are already quiet, and sealed well. All I meant is to dynamat the areas that are wide expanses of metal, which will resonate more with a better quality speaker bolted to them. Dynamat around the speaker so that it is completely sealed to the mounting surface, and then listen to the system. This should improve the quality of sound dramatically, especially in the lower range of the speaker's response.

Big Mack
Old 11-17-09, 11:11 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Ok thanks.
Old 11-26-09, 10:41 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

UPDATE! After installing the clean sweep everything completely changed! It sounds impressive now! Now I can set my front speakers to 60 Hz on HP no problem! WOW! Bass still sounds clean when no distortion whatsoever! But for me that's just too much bass so I put it at 90 Hz. Although I thought I had a sound deadening problem at low frequencies (60-90hz). The factory signal to the speakers were causing them to distort. Which made the bass sound terrible making me think that it was a sound deadening problem. Now I get a nice punchy bass! After installing the cleansweep, which cleans out the signal, it sounds clean even at high volumes! After changing my RE-Audio sub DVC from series to parallel which becomes 2 ohms. With my upgraded amp from 2 channel @ 200W RMS @ 4 to a mono amp @ 300W RMS @ 2 ohms the bass comparison is like night and day! The beast has been unleashed! Overall I'm very impressed of the cleansweep and would recommend it. Now I need to find me a good equalizer and I'm a happy camper! Thanks to all that help! And Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Last edited by GS4_Fiend; 11-26-09 at 10:46 AM.