Sponsored by:

To Dynamat or Not

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-09, 05:42 PM
waymay1305
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Dynamat or Not

I recently changed out the stock subwoofer with a new amp and subwoofer. Which for my purposes the stock system sounds much better. The drawback, if there is such a drawback, is that now I have much more of a bass response, that in my opinion vibrates the front doors more than what I would prefer. I took it to Cartoys and they say that yes they could Dynamat the doors but the difference in the vibration would not be significant since the doors are already well insulated. I've noticed that others say they have Dynamatted doors for whatever reason and felt it would be worth he expense. Any comments are appreciated.
Old 11-10-09, 04:27 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give us a bit more info!!! Is the replacement sub in the stock location? How much power is being fed to it? If its an enclosure in the trunk, what size? You say the front doors vibrate more...did you also change the stock door speakers?

If it is only a new sub in the stock location then most likely (but not definately) you are getting vibration from the deck lid that are transmitting to the B-pillar and vibrating the door pin.

Dynamat is a great product. There are also other very good products that may be more cost effective too. But, reducing vibrations from the deck lid is where i would start.

Perhaps instead of going back to a shop you can get a 10sq. ft order of EDead (similair to Dynamat but from Elemental Designs) from Amazon for $20 before shipping and cover the underside of the decklid and see how that works.

I'm not pushing EDead but just using it as an example. Shop around and see whats out there. There are quite a few products out that are excellent for sound deadening.

In the end, what I am trying to say is to start with small areas first and check the result. Then expand from there.

Let us know everything done to the car sound system wise and maybe we can advise better.