Sponsored by:

SC Subwoofer Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-09, 07:06 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC Subwoofer Questions

Lol. So I'm about to replace my stock headunit with a double din dvd player. I got my wiring harness and dash kit ordered, and I ordered 6.5" speakers for the back because I heard that the 4" stock ones back there can fit 6.5" speakers so I am willing to try that, hopefully it isn't too hard to do. Now I also know that the front speakers in the doors are 4" speakers and I'm about to order those too but I am confused as to what the speaker is in the middle of the rear deck where the 3rd brake light cover goes? I have a 94 SC300 and the speaker is bigger than the other 2 speakers back there. Is this a subwoofer? Because I've never seen a subwoofer sit back in a rear deck like that. Any subwoofers I have ever seen are in a ported or sealed box in the trunk somewhere. I just don't know what that speaker is but it is definitely about twice the size of the other 2 that are in the rear deck. If it IS a subwoofer that is back there, can I take any 8" or 10" subwoofer and plug it in back there? I am just confused about all this lol.

BTW, the tweeters that are in the doors, what size are those also? I'm looking to replace those too.
Old 11-09-09, 07:07 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 383 Likes on 225 Posts

Wow...you've never seen a subwoofer in the rear deck?

Boy howdy do I have news for you...
Old 11-09-09, 07:07 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Once again, searching would've yielded you the answer. Yes it's a subwoofer, if you pull the paneling in the trunk away you'll see it. Though I don't remember what sizes they are, there are 8 and 10" I believe. They are free hanging shallow subs.
Old 11-09-09, 07:10 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

No, I've never seen that before. I've never owned a car that was nice enough to have that come stock lol. Any idea what the size is? Can I hook up ANY aftermarket sub to replace that speaker? Whatever it is it doesn't look like its very high quality... The whole speaker is shattered and pieces are everywhere. It looks like it was made out of paper lol.
Old 11-09-09, 07:29 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you will have to replace it with a shallow mount free-air subwoofer..and they arent cheap..IMO, just slap a box in the trunk with your size and choice of sub, aftermarket amp and voila! you have better bass.
Old 11-09-09, 07:46 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

What kind of aftermarket subwoofer can I put in there instead though? Does Pioneer make anything for it?
Old 11-09-09, 08:30 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

take a look at these:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2068C65...3&tp=111&avf=N

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_1...3&tp=111&avf=N

those are the kind of subs you would NEED to mount in stock location..I think the Pioneer is the correct size..the Kicker Comp is not.

EDIT**--the factory subs are 10", so those I listed above are both the incorrect size, but they will give you and idea of what your looking for
Old 11-09-09, 08:47 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I kept with the stock speaker size all the way around except for the sub. I used a 12 fosgate in my trunk. Most people think bigger speakers are allways better but if you get a good set of 4" components and 4" rear speakers with a nice amp, it will perform more than what you need it for. Or else ya might have to hack away to get a bigger one to fit. Some that are 6.5" have a big *** cage behind it that wont seat.
Old 11-09-09, 08:48 PM
DriftPaRX7
Pole Position

Ok.... you definitely need to do some searching...

Tweeters.. you can put one inchers at the factory location if you desire.

front doors, you can mount 4 inchers, rear you can mount 6 inchers.

If your looking to replace the sub in the back on the rear deck... make sure you take measurements as the gas tank and fuel pump access plate is right under it. you need to make sure you got a sub that is preferably free air and a shallow basket or magnet.

research research research.
Old 11-10-09, 02:55 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drift speaketh the truth!!!

Be advised that for 6" in the rear you will need to either make your own baffle to house the speaker or (better in my opinion), widen the opening AND use a thin baffle. The 6" WILL NOT drop right in.