Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Amp for a 98 SC300

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-09, 10:13 PM
elemgee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Amp for a 98 SC300

I want to install aftermarket amps in my recently purchased SC300 and want to keep the install as simple as possible. My understanding is that there are two amps in the car - one to power the sub, the other to power the remaining speakers, and that each amp bundles the related input and output wires into plastic housings which then plug right into the amps. So my question is, are there any aftermarket adapters into which the stock plastic housings can be plugged, and the other end of these adapters in turn would just plug directly into the aftermarket amps? I'm flexible as to the specific specs and manufacturer of the aftermarket amps if there are some that came with adapters like this. I was thinking, for instance, that if Pioneer makes the stock amps, would Pioneer also carry aftermarket amps for the SC300 and related adapters? Thanks.

LMG
Old 12-02-09, 10:01 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are no adapters to allow "plug and play" functionality when adding aftermarket amps. You will need to find and isolate each output signal lead from the head unit. Then, since they are already low level, splice RCA's to those leads. (Remember, our cars have a floating ground system so there is only ONE common ground). Run your new RCA leads to the new amps. Run the speaker outs back to the harness and splice to the speaker leads.
Old 01-04-10, 09:02 PM
ScottC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
There are no adapters to allow "plug and play" functionality when adding aftermarket amps. You will need to find and isolate each output signal lead from the head unit. Then, since they are already low level, splice RCA's to those leads. (Remember, our cars have a floating ground system so there is only ONE common ground). Run your new RCA leads to the new amps. Run the speaker outs back to the harness and splice to the speaker leads.

i was gonna install an amp because my nak amp is blown. so i was gonna use an aftermarket amp, but i was wondering do i splice leads from the harness running from the head unit or can i splice the leads from the nakamichi amp plug leads if so that should mean the wiring color should be the same as those from the head unit. same thing with the speaker wires. are there leads running from the amp harness or do i need to do it directly from the speakers?