Sponsored by:

Lexus' Mark Levinson: is it "worth" it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-10, 04:42 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kenv
How can I tell if a GS 350 has ML....Where is the Logo located?
here u go, incase if u r still wondering...
Attached Thumbnails Lexus' Mark Levinson: is it "worth" it?-3050202_001_1044big.jpg  
Old 03-08-12, 11:46 AM
dahnb2000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am an audiophile (no false modesty here).
I've had my 2007 es350 for about 2 weeks. The ML system plays loud so that's good and it's better than any stock system I've heard but it is far from the greatest especially in the most important area to me: an accurate mid-range (voice, piano, etc). It also gets muddy when there's a lot going on musically.
I'm thinking about swapping out at least some of the drivers with some Focals I have and will re-post if/when I do this.
Old 03-08-12, 06:40 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree that the ML systems are way overpriced and not as good as most say, but for an OEM theyre not bad. My biggest complaint is theyre not worth the $$ and they do not necessarily last. I buy used so I wouldnt buy a LExus without the ML stereo and NAV, but spending that kind of $$ on these options when buying new is silly money.

I like the idea of replacing speakers with better aftermarket options, and Focals especially are good speakers, but if that is all youre doing youre really just wasting your time and would be better off just replacing your speakers with the ML ones if they are blown out. I was just having this conversation with my indie stereo installer today and was also considering upgrading to Focals, but unless youre also upgrading your amp, youre not going about "upgrading" correctly. Underdriving speakers is not a good idea either and that is what youre doing by putting in speakers that require higher power, then not giving it to them.
Old 04-10-12, 10:18 AM
dahnb2000
Driver School Candidate

I'm taking the plunge: Focal speakers everywhere but the rear deck: 2- 6x9 coax in the front door, 2 tweeters in dashboard, separates in the rear doors (woofer/mid and tweeter), JL 8" woofer in trunk, Audison SR5 and SR2 amps, and Audison bit one equalizer/processor (and a bunch of other good stuff).
The 6x9's, the front tweeters, the woofer, and the SR5 are installed already- greatly improved from the ML speakers! This taste of quality has me wanting more so everything should be installed in a week or two. My ears are drooling in anticipation.
Old 04-10-12, 11:09 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

dahnb2000....
I just got my Bit One processor installed in my CT200h yesterday and it was the best move I ever made. I have the Hertz Mille 3 ways (tweeters, mids, and mid bass) along with the Mille MLK3 sub and I am absolutely floored with how good the front stage sounds and that one sub is so much more than I will ever need. I am one happy camper and I bet you will be too.
Old 05-01-12, 07:28 AM
dahnb2000
Driver School Candidate

Default Quick update

Everything's in but the bit one isn't tuned yet. Sound is good but not great yet. 2 problems also:
1. bit one hisses (even with main volume all the way down)
2. turn on thump from amp
Final setup is Friday. I'll report back then.
Old 05-02-12, 06:08 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Bummer.....hope you can get those two issues resolved quickly. I have neither issue but my installer's pet peeve is eliminating any of those type issues. I still need to get back to my installer and fine tune the bit one....now that I have listened to it for a couple of weeks I have a better idea of how I want to set up the presets on the bit one.
Old 05-19-12, 12:06 PM
dahnb2000
Driver School Candidate

Default Just mind-blowing good!

All tuned up & it sounds great!
Old 12-12-12, 11:08 AM
fernicus
Driver School Candidate

I am interested in a later model GS350 or even a hybrid. I presently have an 02 es300 but want to switch cars to a GS yet in Ontario they are quite rare to find. I found an 07 GS350 with Ultra pkg but without the Mark levinson sound but the regular stereo instead. I'm quite a freak about music and found that the base stereo in the car was lacking. I walked away from the deal because of the lack of a Mark Levinson system yet I love the car. Was it that levels on the base stereo weren't correct or is it that murky? Is the mark Levinson that much better and worth my walking away from this low km red beauty? Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-18-12, 09:03 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fernicus
I am interested in a later model GS350 or even a hybrid. I presently have an 02 es300 but want to switch cars to a GS yet in Ontario they are quite rare to find. I found an 07 GS350 with Ultra pkg but without the Mark levinson sound but the regular stereo instead. I'm quite a freak about music and found that the base stereo in the car was lacking. I walked away from the deal because of the lack of a Mark Levinson system yet I love the car. Was it that levels on the base stereo weren't correct or is it that murky? Is the mark Levinson that much better and worth my walking away from this low km red beauty? Any help is appreciated.
ML is OK but overpriced. Your best bet, if you like the car and you plan on keeping it for years, is to buy it and then put in an aftermarket system. None of the regular factory systems are any good. If you don;t want to spend the money since the car is used and Ml may not cost much more in the used marketplace, then wait for that. The ML is quite a bit better than the regular factory system options.
Old 12-20-12, 06:15 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have ML on my LS 430. When I bought it, it had two fronts and sub blown. First I went with aftermarket speakers and amp. Sound quality was just ok. Recently I decided to put stock ML speakers. All door speakers were changed to ML and I am very happy with quality of sound. Another issue I had with ML is its not loud enough. Dynamat in all doors and rear deck fixed that issue. ML is LS 430 is great but has two issues:
1. Longetivity of speakers, they're made of paper and don't last very long.
2. Volume too low for my taste. Extra soundproofing will take care of that.
Old 12-24-12, 04:39 AM
fernicus
Driver School Candidate

just a followup to my little buying expedition: I decided to check back with the red GS350 from that dealer that was immaculate and oh so little kms once again and found that after a month, it was still on the lot which I found odd. I got the carproof myself to take a look at and lo and behold, the damage the dealer originally told me was $600 was in actual fact $6000. and the odometer which stated was 54500km for an 07 stated on the car proof that it had been rolled back. Nice and I knew there was something that was bothering me about the salesguys attitudes there along with the fact that the car didn't have the ML system that I wanted. So there was a good reason I walked away from the sucker. Funny thing is the sales guys sent me an email stating they were ahem disappointed that they had spent hours with me and I didn't buy their cough cough wreck even after all the lies. Nice.
Got myself an 08 GS350 instead with higher kms but with the ML stereo and a better state of mind in the end. You guys are right, the ML is better than the stock but not great. Have to say though, that sucker is clear and defined at mid volume.