Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

how hard is to install remote start/ alarm system?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-09, 12:19 PM
hoonami
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how hard is to install remote start/ alarm system?

on 1998 es300, just bought http://avital.com/Products/Product.a...System&id=5000 on ebay and have no clue what to do... how hard is to install this thing? and what other stuff do i need such as bypass module and such.... i've done few stereo installs in my previous cars but never done alarms before.... any suggestions?

thank you
Old 12-10-09, 12:40 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

Your generation ES is actually a pretty easy vehicle to do a remote start in if you have a good fundamental understanding of how vehicle electrical and ignition systems work. If not I would look around for an experienced installer. It will probably take an experienced person 3-4 hours to install and do a proper job, so if you haven't done one before set aside a day to carefully plan out the installation of the remote start and bypass.

You will need a bypass, either the DEI 556UW if you don't mind giving up a key, or the DEI PKALL module if you don't want to loose a key or have to get an extra made. The latter bypass costs a bit more.

I might recommend the Viper 5501 or the Viper 5701(has security as well) for their extended range and slimline remotes with rechargeable batteries. Plus Directed Electronics tends to update the Viper lineup faster than Avital.
Old 12-10-09, 02:00 PM
hoonami
Pole Position

thanks for youre quick response, i had 5701 on my 02 es300 but hated the remote. it kept on pressing on it's own, remote keys were so sensitive so when it's in my pocket and if i move around car starts, or locks/unlocks. i decide to go with avital because of it's price... what is reasonable labor cost for independent dealer/person to do this job?

thank you
Old 12-10-09, 03:02 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hoonami
thanks for youre quick response, i had 5701 on my 02 es300 but hated the remote. it kept on pressing on it's own, remote keys were so sensitive so when it's in my pocket and if i move around car starts, or locks/unlocks. i decide to go with avital because of it's price... what is reasonable labor cost for independent dealer/person to do this job?

thank you
Understandable. Probably in the $160-$180 for the labor assuming you provide all necessary components. This may vary slightly depending on where you live. Make sure the shop you use solders all their connections and doesn't use t-taps. I know it's Best Buy's policy to solder, but no matter where you go to a major chain or local mom and pop shop make sure the installer has good remote start experience also a MECP certified installer is a plus.
Old 12-10-09, 10:00 PM
hoonami
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scotty6486
Understandable. Probably in the $160-$180 for the labor assuming you provide all necessary components. This may vary slightly depending on where you live. Make sure the shop you use solders all their connections and doesn't use t-taps. I know it's Best Buy's policy to solder, but no matter where you go to a major chain or local mom and pop shop make sure the installer has good remote start experience also a MECP certified installer is a plus.
thanks, found few guys in chicago craigslist. not sure if i've done the right thing but one guy wanted $90 for his installation including bypass module. he said he has about 7yrs of experience, sounded like a college kid... will call him tomorrow to make sure he uses soldering method instead of taping/clamping... should i go with this guy??
Old 12-11-09, 05:51 AM
Scotty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hoonami
thanks, found few guys in chicago craigslist. not sure if i've done the right thing but one guy wanted $90 for his installation including bypass module. he said he has about 7yrs of experience, sounded like a college kid... will call him tomorrow to make sure he uses soldering method instead of taping/clamping... should i go with this guy??
He may be a perfectly fine installer, you also may want to make sure he is insured for this sort of thing. In the event something goes wrong during or after the installation who's going to pay for it? One reason shops charge a bit more is for insurance that covers you in the unlikely event damage is caused to your vehicle. Not discourage you from using that individual, but there may be more of a risk involved.

Other good things to ask would be: Does he install a hood pin switch? How does he protect your car? e.g., seat covers, fender covers, test vehicle wiring with a digital multimeter before making connections. Also, ask if he has any certifications such as MECP like I mentioned earlier. The answer should be yes to all of those questions with the exception of maybe the MECP certification, I have seen many excellent installers that weren't certified.

Maybe I'm just picky, but it never hurts to be thorough.