Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Buying a JL sub off eBay - good or bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-09, 02:18 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Buying a JL sub off eBay - good or bad idea?

I'm looking to buy a 12W6v2 JL subwoofer (and 500/1v2 amp). If you buy it from an authorized dealer it cost about $540 but there are numerous eBay vendors selling them new for ~$300. What's the catch? No warranty?
Old 12-13-09, 05:30 AM
Scotty
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by brociouz
I'm looking to buy a 12W6v2 JL subwoofer (and 500/1v2 amp). If you buy it from an authorized dealer it cost about $540 but there are numerous eBay vendors selling them new for ~$300. What's the catch? No warranty?
That it correct, most manufacturers will not honor warranties for items purchased on eBay.
Old 12-13-09, 10:13 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by scotty6486
That it correct, most manufacturers will not honor warranties for items purchased on eBay.
JL is very particular about their products, and most of the "gray market" subs or amps you find will not even have a serial number on them to prevent the company from seeing who released them to the market through unapproved channels. They go out of their way to protect the brand, sometimes buying products off fleabay simply to see if they can locate who did what. If you're willing to risk it to save the $$, you may come up roses. If you don't, though, you can't say you weren't forewarned.

Big Mack
Old 12-13-09, 01:36 PM
dmb2427
Driver School Candidate

Default still looking

Originally Posted by brociouz
I have the exact setup for sale right now for $475 with everything sub, amp, box and capacitor. If you are still looking let me know.

i am in Socal Newport beach area

Last edited by dmb2427; 12-13-09 at 01:37 PM. Reason: added
Old 12-20-09, 12:22 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also try craigslist in your area- reason being you can find people with their subs or amps still hooked up so you can see and hear if they are damaged and how it sounds. I just purchased 2 12 W6V2-D4s for 200 dollars and they are practically new. The kid even had the boxes with the seriels since he bought them at a reputable car shop so I have warranty on these.

Sometimes you get lucky...the amp, box, speaker set up for under 500 is also a good deal, basically plug and play.
Old 12-20-09, 06:21 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I've always looked at it this way... unless you have horrible horrible luck with car audio products, and/or run stuff on the ragged edge a lot, then the warranty will typically go unused...

even if you did have a failure, you can pretty much buy it all over again for almost the same money...

this same thing happens with scuba gear... warranties and all are null for ebay / internet purchased items from certain manufacturers... but the savings you get may make it worthwhile to get things at a significantly reduced price in exchange for no warranty...
Old 12-20-09, 12:09 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by robertrios
The kid even had the boxes with the seriels since he bought them at a reputable car shop so I have warranty on these.
Beware: According to JL Audio, warranties are NOT transferable (so used stuff NEVER has the manufacturer's warranty). You get a 1 year warranty on subs from the date of purchase (from an authorized dealer obviously), 2 years on amps.

I ended up buying the sub and amp for $599+tax (brand new + warranty) from a local car audio shop here in NorCal. I could have obviously gone cheaper if I went with used, but I'm **** like that. I think a got a pretty good deal though - the peace of mind makes it worth it.
Old 01-15-10, 11:34 AM
bestint
Driver School Candidate

yea you can always find stuff online for cheap but when you start having problems, the money you saved isnt going to help your resolve your problems later. always better to pay the extra money and get it from an authorized local dealer. i own a small car stereo window tint shop and i do charge a little more than most best buys or online stores but i always take care of my customers when in comes down to warranty and service issues. plus why would you want to pay best buy money to have some teenager there install stuff in your nice car? there are plenty of local shops with skilled experienced installers that know what they're doing and not reading off a instruction manual and how to take apart someones dash.
Old 01-15-10, 12:12 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by bestint
plus why would you want to pay best buy money to have some teenager there install stuff in your nice car? there are plenty of local shops with skilled experienced installers that know what they're doing and not reading off a instruction manual and how to take apart someones dash.
While I agree with you that a skilled installer is critical for larger/more complicated jobs, I don't think it's necessary to bash BBY, and certainly isn't dependent on the "nice car." BBY trains their installers just as a quality shop should, and while they may not work on the higher end cars all the time, the skill sets shouldn't vary that widely. Doesn't mean there aren't a few who don't take the job seriously and make rookie mistakes consistently because they choose to remain ignorant, but knowing how that company works, those guys don't stick around too long.

Taking apart a car and paying attention go hand in hand, and while having access to more tools or references from experience are very helpful, it's not impossible to take apart a Lexus any more than it is to take apart a Ford or Chevy. May just take doing a little homework, and they have to learn somewhere.

I'm willing to bet your, or anyone else's installer for that matter, didn't come out knowing how to take apart every single car in the world.

And no, I don't work for them, but I know several guys who do, and they can challenge just about anyone in the industry on the quality of their work.

You also need to take into account that many shops charge a significant amount more for "outside labor," because they didn't sell it. This concept was created to make these types of jobs more profitable because there is no profit made on the sale of the product. While that makes it equitable for the shop, it can get expensive. BBY charges a standard price for installs, so they do compete on that front. The difference would be that the shop may have access to more materials and install it with more than just a couple of screws into the back of a seat or a piece of wood, and that's something the shop should use as a differentiator - in other words, the smart business is selling their added value, not the price.

Big Mack
Old 01-15-10, 03:29 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with Big Mack. I do installation for Best Buy on a very part time basis and I am not a teenager, nor is 90% of the installers they employ.

Best Buy also has high installation standards as far as vehicle handling and training goes. Just as Best Buy may have a few inexperienced installers, so do the independent shops. And just because not every car Best Buy does is a Lexus or Mercedes it doesn't mean that they aren't just as capable to work on them.

So before making an unfounded statement implying Best Buy doesn't employ experienced installers get your facts straight.

Last edited by Scotty; 01-16-10 at 05:20 AM.