Sponsored by:

Help! Is250 mark levingson conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-09, 08:07 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help! Is250 mark levingson conversion

So I have a 07 IS250 with nav but non ML. Question- I can get the door speakers (front and back) from a ML is250. Will this be a plug and play type application? Is it all he same size. And will it even sound better running on the same non ML amp? I can get all the speakers for around 400. Also if it is not going to sound better with the non ML amp I can get a ML amp for around 150. Total for everything would be about 550. Should I do this? Is it worth the effort and cost?

I would ideally just prefer to do the speakers if it means better quality sound and maybe even more speaker efficiency thus a louder speaker from the same wattage amp.
Old 12-19-09, 08:57 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

NOT worth the effort into converting into a ML system. ML systems have too much trouble with them. Speakers are not very durable, coils blow out, surrounds separate due to the materials and poor choice of adhesives, amps blow out due to bad design of heat dissipation ...the list goes on.

Do yourself a favor and get some really good aftermarket speakers. Dynaudio is my fav and I've had these in my GS for well over 10 years now. VERY durable and they make the speakers to last as well as sound awesome.
Old 12-20-09, 12:12 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

I was thinking about doing that but I checked the site and its pretty pricey stuff. Are there any other companies making component sets that will fit in there without mod that will improve my sound? Are you using the stock amp? I went to a shop around here and they told me if i take out the speakers to upgrade that ill have to get an amp too and then I was wondering will the voice from the navigation still work? I thought that all ran through the amp. Maybe if the new speakers are less ohms they will sound louder and clearer with the stock amp since its more efficient? I was happy with the stock system but dissapointed with the bass..........soooooooo I put in 2 12 W6 subs. I have my amp pretty low and still the speakers just dont contend they sound very drowned out. So now I want to upgrade. I also thought about sound dampening the doors and trunk- idea behind that being it would make it seem as though my speakers are louder right? School me!
Old 12-20-09, 09:35 AM
Percy

Originally Posted by robertrios
I was thinking about doing that but I checked the site and its pretty pricey stuff.

***You get what you pay for in this case. WELL worth the money.***

Are there any other companies making component sets that will fit in there without mod that will improve my sound?

***Focal, Diamond Audio, Morel and a few others. When you're shopping, go on actual listening sessions. Forget about the flowery reviews that are so common out there. You'll notice that the ML reviews are a little too flowery and have a bit too much corn syrup to them.***

Are you using the stock amp?

***Stock amp (pioneer made for Lexus) with Dynaudio. Awesome combo.***

I went to a shop around here and they told me if i take out the speakers to upgrade that ill have to get an amp too and then I was wondering will the voice from the navigation still work?

***You can use the stock amp. Just do a speaker swapout. Don't worry about the ohms too much.***

I thought that all ran through the amp. Maybe if the new speakers are less ohms they will sound louder and clearer with the stock amp since its more efficient?

***Pretty much any aftermarket high end speaker will completely TROUNCE the ML speakers. The stock ML speakers are an insult. You get to pay all that money for a "lowest bidder" manufacture and design product, despite their HYPE.***

I was happy with the stock system but dissapointed with the bass..........soooooooo I put in 2 12 W6 subs. I have my amp pretty low and still the speakers just dont contend they sound very drowned out. So now I want to upgrade. I also thought about sound dampening the doors and trunk- idea behind that being it would make it seem as though my speakers are louder right? School me!
With sound dampening you're just cutting down the road noise and insulating the cabin better against any type of noise. It helps, but get the basics down first. SPEAKERS first. Many people make a mistake of going for a sub first for more "thump", but remember that 90% of the music and vocals that we hear are from the MIDRANGE, NOT THE BASS. Work on the 90% FIRST, then you can fine tune from there.

I'd still suggest getting the Dynaudio speakers. Drop them in. You'll be AMAZED. And they won't blow apart on you!!!
Old 12-21-09, 08:12 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

I think ill go with your recomendation. What model # is it i need to you know by chance? Im gonna do the front two doors first and see how that sounds and then do the rear doors aftwards. I was also recommended to look at Hertz (sp?) an italian speaker...have you ever heard of those?
Old 12-21-09, 08:23 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

yea updating to ML is not worth it imo. most people cant even tell the difference between the ML and a stock radio.
Old 12-21-09, 10:15 AM
Percy

I think ill go with your recomendation. What model # is it i need to you know by chance? Im gonna do the front two doors first and see how that sounds and then do the rear doors aftwards. I was also recommended to look at Hertz (sp?) an italian speaker...have you ever heard of those?
Hertz uses a smaller voice coil and doesn't have the characteristics of the Dyn speaker. In other words, stay with the Dyn. Dynaudio is the only one to have ALL the info on their speakers, and MLSSA plots if needed. Hertz looks to be more of a flashy product that anything else.

For your speakers, you can go with the MW162 or the MW162GT. Both are 6.5 inch speakers, but the GT model will probably work out better. You may need to install a spacer ring to prevent the magnet assembly from hitting the window as it's rolled down. For the tweeters, you'll have to take the MD102 out of their casing. Some creative thinking will get them to fit in the stock locations. They sound MUCH MUCH better than the stock ML gear.

The 2.5 inch midrange - I'd actually cut the wires to these. The soundstaging on the Dynaudio speakers is very wide and accurately detailed. In other words, leave the 2.5s in there, but NOT active or working.
Old 12-22-09, 02:03 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

arent the speakers already coming from a cross over network in the amp? So getting rid of the 2.5 would loose those freq. I found a set of Hertz that are three way 6.5 mid woofer, 3 mid range, and tweeter. I wonder if Ill be able to mount a 3 inch speaker where the stock 2.5 goes. Ill have to take the door off and measure. Was taking off the door easy? I saw some pics on here before...im just scared to do it and mess up the panel. Another option is buying a component set like you mentioned and leaving the mid range 2.5 stock...i wonder if that would get any improved sound at all from the stock sound.
Old 12-22-09, 08:19 PM
Percy

arent the speakers already coming from a cross over network in the amp? So getting rid of the 2.5 would loose those freq. I found a set of Hertz that are three way 6.5 mid woofer, 3 mid range, and tweeter. I wonder if Ill be able to mount a 3 inch speaker where the stock 2.5 goes. Ill have to take the door off and measure. Was taking off the door easy? I saw some pics on here before...im just scared to do it and mess up the panel. Another option is buying a component set like you mentioned and leaving the mid range 2.5 stock...i wonder if that would get any improved sound at all from the stock sound.
Never took apart the doors in the IS. Shouldn't be too hard. It would be good to check out the depth of the stock drivers (3 inch). You could possibly get the Hertz mid and then run the Dyn 6.5 and 1 inch.

When you take apart the door, look for any capacitors on the tweeter and on any of the other drivers. I know that on the other systems (pioneer), they use a passive xover for SOME of the drivers. If the 6.5 is running full range, I'd just try it without the 3 inch (on and also off) to see how it sounds first.
Old 12-27-09, 05:42 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Good information here! I'm very interested in possibly doing something like this myself so Thanks!

<subscribed>
Old 12-28-09, 07:14 AM
mikeymikey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ML Speaker conversion

I have a 2008 IS-F with ML and dealer installed XM. I am disappointed with the sound and I am developing a plan to upgrade the whole system, starting with the speakers. I would like to start with the large center speaker and progressively work my way back. Do you know the DynAudio replacements for the other speakers -especially the one in the dash?
Thanks,
Mikey

Last edited by mikeymikey; 12-28-09 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-30-09, 08:09 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Percy I have an idea just wanted to run it by you. With the stock is250 system Im happy with the overall quality I just wish it was a tad louder. So...I have a 4 channel amp laying around. Im thinking about installing that into the car instead of the stock amp and power the stock speakers and see if they sound any better. If it dosent then at least the amp will already be hooked up and ill just be looking at replacing speakers. What do you think?
Old 12-30-09, 03:19 PM
Percy

Originally Posted by mikeymikey
I have a 2008 IS-F with ML and dealer installed XM. I am disappointed with the sound and I am developing a plan to upgrade the whole system, starting with the speakers. I would like to start with the large center speaker and progressively work my way back. Do you know the DynAudio replacements for the other speakers -especially the one in the dash?
Thanks,
Mikey
I don't know of any dyns that are 2.5 inch. How much space under the dash speakers?
Old 12-30-09, 03:22 PM
Percy

Percy I have an idea just wanted to run it by you. With the stock is250 system Im happy with the overall quality I just wish it was a tad louder. So...I have a 4 channel amp laying around. Im thinking about installing that into the car instead of the stock amp and power the stock speakers and see if they sound any better. If it dosent then at least the amp will already be hooked up and ill just be looking at replacing speakers. What do you think?
Should work. You'll need a Line Out Converter, make sure it's a good quality one. Leave the stock amp in there. Go for the speaker connections, feed them into a Line Out Converter, then to the aftermarket amp, then to the speakers. It's alot of work.

I'd still suggest going for aftermarket speakers FIRST. They make a tremendous amount of difference.
Old 12-30-09, 08:00 PM
mikeymikey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for responding, Percy. My Mark Levinson system just has no richness to the sound. CD's are better than XM, but still not great. The center speaker dominates to the point I barely notice sound coming from any of the other speakers - that is why I was hoping to find a better center speaker.

Is there any way I can divert some of the sound presently going to the center speaker to the speakers in the front doors - or take it out of the system completely?

Thanks,
Mike

Quick Reply: Help! Is250 mark levingson conversion