Sponsored by:

Viper 5901 on GS400

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-09, 06:42 PM
LexusK
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Viper 5901 on GS400

I just got the Viper 5901 installed on my car and there are some things that were bothering me about it. I was hoping someone could help me out.

1. Originally, when you first insert your key into the ignition, the steering wheel comes down, but when I use remote start and then insert my key in, the wheel does not telescope down and I have to do it manually. Is there a way to fix this?

2. When I unlock the car using the Viper remote, I am unable to unlock all 4 doors, but if I just use my key then it unlocks just fine. How do I get it to unlock all the doors when I push unlock on the Viper remote?
Old 12-19-09, 09:57 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusK
I just got the Viper 5901 installed on my car and there are some things that were bothering me about it. I was hoping someone could help me out.

1. Originally, when you first insert your key into the ignition, the steering wheel comes down, but when I use remote start and then insert my key in, the wheel does not telescope down and I have to do it manually. Is there a way to fix this?

2. When I unlock the car using the Viper remote, I am unable to unlock all 4 doors, but if I just use my key then it unlocks just fine. How do I get it to unlock all the doors when I push unlock on the Viper remote?
Two things that can be pretty easily fixed. First, for the steering wheel to come down on remote start, the key sense wire needs to be connected to a status output on the remote start unit that isn't shared with the transponder bypass. Second, the unit most likely needs to be programmed to do a double unlock pulse to unlock all doors.

Last edited by Scotty; 12-20-09 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Add more info
Old 12-22-09, 09:53 PM
LexusK
Racer

Quick question, is the purpose of the viper remote to just arm/disarm the alarm, or arm/disarm and lock/unlock?
Old 12-22-09, 10:33 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

Quick question, is the purpose of the viper remote to just arm/disarm the alarm, or arm/disarm and lock/unlock?
The 5901 is capable of both. How is yours setup?
Old 12-24-09, 05:17 PM
LexusK
Racer

Mine only locks the driver side door I think.

Usually, if the lights are on, I use the Lexus key to lock the door and turn them off, then I arm the viper.
Old 12-24-09, 05:44 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

It should operate all locks if properly setup. The dome lights should go out on lock with the Viper remote if the door lock wiring was interfaced in the correct location. You may want to go back to the original installer and have those issues corrected, you should not need to use the factory remote at all. Sounds like whoever installed it may have taken some shortcuts.
Old 12-24-09, 10:43 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by scotty6486
It should operate all locks if properly setup. The dome lights should go out on lock with the Viper remote if the door lock wiring was interfaced in the correct location. You may want to go back to the original installer and have those issues corrected, you should not need to use the factory remote at all. Sounds like whoever installed it may have taken some shortcuts.
I concur on all points above, especially the last one. I'm so tired of hearing about installers who refuse to do the job right the first time. I worked with a couple of them, and fired several. Costs the business every single time you boomerang a car, so why not do it right and make more money doing it??

Good luck in getting it fixed, mang. Talk to the shop manager about this, as it should be his responsibility to check the work for accuracy.

Big Mack
Old 12-25-09, 11:47 AM
LexusK
Racer

Thanks alot guys. Ill call them up on monday and talk to them about it.
Old 12-25-09, 08:50 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Thanks alot guys. Ill call them up on monday and talk to them about it.
Go there. It's much easier to show them it's not working than it is for them to hear you tell them it's not working. Plus, it puts it right in the open in front of other potential customers, which equals motivation to get it in, get it done properly, and get it out of the way of paying jobs. Make sure they don't cut corners again, and have the shop manager walk you through everything again.

Big Mack
Old 12-26-09, 02:04 PM
LexusK
Racer

WOW. I feel like a complete dumbass. It does unlock all the doors if I press the button TWICE.. just like the Lexus key. I thought that with the viper remote, I could just unlock/lock all the doors with one push of the button lol. As for the key sense wire, Im going to take it in to get fixed on Monday. Thanks again guys.
Old 12-26-09, 03:00 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

WOW. I feel like a complete dumbass. It does unlock all the doors if I press the button TWICE.. just like the Lexus key. I thought that with the viper remote, I could just unlock/lock all the doors with one push of the button lol. As for the key sense wire, Im going to take it in to get fixed on Monday. Thanks again guys.
You know, it occurred to me last evening as I wrote my previous response that neither I nor anyone else suggested hitting it again - but should have, knowing that the system has progressive unlock. Looks like the installer may have made a mistake on the keysense, but he certainly did the locks correctly. Either way, get it corrected and have it given the once over.

Big Mack