Sponsored by:

98 ES Stereo is Ghosting on/off

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-10, 08:22 AM
Spimley
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 98 ES Stereo is Ghosting on/off

Hi, I moved this from the ES forum as at the time I didn't realize there was an AV section so here goes...
Yesterday was a weird Stereo Day.
Its the CD/Cassette Combo NAKAMICHI
But its worked fine for 11 years and then this morning, when I stopped to put gas in the vehicle on the way to work, the stereo wouldn't turn off, and stayed on even after I got to work and ran with car off for about 4 hours, then I went out to check it and perhaps start the car for a bit during break the Stereo was off and worked fine when I started the car.
However on the way home, when I started the car it was dead so I banged the side of the stereo/dash a little and it started working for about 15 minutes then it crackled a little out of the speakers then stopped completely.
Fuses Seem ok, is this likely a stereo going bad or perhaps an amp ?
Things you suggest I check ?
"update"
took it to the shop this morning, and he gave me a "counter" diagnosis and scheduled a diagnostic appointment for 2morrow.
The "counter" diagnosis is thats possibly the Cap unit itself that may be going bad, he thought this since I have what is commonly called a "ghost" radio, that comes and goes.
for example, it worked at 7am when I took the kids to school, didn't work at 9am.
The diagnostic cost is $45 which seems fair enough so I plan to go ahead with the appointment at this stage.
thoughts/opinions ?
Old 01-07-10, 10:35 AM
Spimley
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone have an opinion as so the possibility that the cold weather is causing this problem.
Granted i'm in Florida but its been in the 30's of late and I don't think this car has ever seen temps below 40 in its lifetime, or at best once or twice.
*update*
Early this morning the bugger locked up on me, it worked but wouldn't change channels, or turn off, the only thing I could control is the volume...
Seems to me like I definitely need to replace the head unit.. I'm thinking that I'm wasting time and money trying to figure out what happened to this bugger.
Thoughts ?

Last edited by Spimley; 01-08-10 at 09:41 AM. Reason: *update*