Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

What the hell happened to subwoofers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-10, 01:53 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts
Default What the hell happened to subwoofers?

IDK what is up with the trend to make your subwoofer look as ugly as humanly possible these days, but if the audio companies are listening listen to this:

We want a sub that looks like a sub.

How about this, you introduce a sub called the "classic" Put whatever newer technology you want into it, but leave the ugly plastic alien frames that stretch afoot and a half back or the molded cones that aren't cones anymore but are instead shaped like a chunk of playdoh that was ran through a rock tumbler than stepped on with cleats and finally attacked by a mountain lion clawing across it.

THIS looks like a subwoofer:

This looks like an alien took a S*** on my front lawn and I ran over it with my lawnmower:

Old 01-09-10, 10:10 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

RE Audio got some quality Subs.
Old 01-09-10, 10:15 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I Hear what you are saying!!!!

But some comapnies still are more concerned about performance as opposed to asthetics.

RE:

Fi:

Ultra:

Old 01-10-10, 06:34 AM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ya, those are meant for the masses (best buy) that don't know/care about real performance.
Old 01-10-10, 08:30 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

^^ That's exactly my point though, we have to look at it everywhere. We can't even see a normal sub these days when we go in a sears or best buy or walmart, or anywhere. It's not that we'd buy it, it's that it is training us to accept this ugly crap as each day passes.

Not I!
Old 01-10-10, 09:53 AM
ALeX300
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Killa-Hz
^^ That's exactly my point though, we have to look at it everywhere. We can't even see a normal sub these days when we go in a sears or best buy or walmart, or anywhere. It's not that we'd buy it, it's that it is training us to accept this ugly crap as each day passes.

Not I!

was in a local shop for work related reasons and while there a customer was finalizing his install list. he mentioned numerous times that the subs(2 12") will have some 'sick' looking design to them. He actually wanted them! Heard the whole package(amps, subs, speakers) cost him $400 so imagine what the quality he gets....sigh....
Old 01-10-10, 08:27 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

I like real subs. I'm pissing in the wind on this install I am doing (as usual ).

Autotek 44 and 99 for amps

EQX for processing

Eclipse AVN navi head

Here's where the coin flip comes in.......

Choice 1 - Old school 1st gen Strokers $549 each
Choice 2 - Original 1st gen RF Punch (white label) $$$$ Priceless
Attached Thumbnails What the hell happened to subwoofers?-screen-shot-2010-01-10-at-11.26.30-pm.jpg   What the hell happened to subwoofers?-screen-shot-2010-01-10-at-11.27.17-pm.jpg  
Old 01-12-10, 12:54 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Killa-Hz
That's exactly my point though, we have to look at it everywhere. We can't even see a normal sub these days when we go in a sears or best buy or walmart, or anywhere. It's not that we'd buy it, it's that it is training us to accept this ugly crap as each day passes.
While I agree with you that some of them are monstrosities, you are incorrect about not being able to see a "normal" sub today. I give you:

Best Buy 1 Best Buy 2 Best Buy 3 Best Buy 4 I know the MTX is online only, but many people shop online exclusively. Do they also sell the monstrosities there? Yes, they do, because many people who are uninformed/just starting want something that looks good first and performs second.

Interesting that you posted a pic of the Stroker, which was about as far from a "normal" sub as it could be when introduced, and had a price tag to match! It brings back good memories.

Who goes to Walmart or Sears for quality gear anyway? Even back in the heyday of car audio, neither of them were exactly "bastions" of car audio excellence. To even get into an amplifier that delivered more than about 50 WPC you had to go to a specialty store. BBY, HHG, CC, and a few of the larger regional players helped to devolve car audio, IMHO, into the polished aluminum heatsink subwoofers and weird colored gear. We never looked for "pretty" gear - we were concerned about performance first. If it came in a glossy white chassis (PPI Art/ProMOS), red/black anodized (Orion), or looked like a little barbecue (RF), we were very happy!

I agree with you that the industry has changed dramatically, and in many cases not for the better, but it's because there are more of the novices with smaller budgets looking to get louder or be prettier than there are those who do research, build SQ and SPL systems, and retailers cannot live on the few of us who build them. They'd rather sell 20 "systems" a month for $400 each versus 3 or 4 amps at $800 amps every couple of months. Specialty shops that only sell high end gear are, unfortunately, extremely limited today, and many have shifted toward the lower end gear to survive.

Keep rockin, though, mang! :thumb:

Big Mack
Old 01-12-10, 03:01 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I use a much different sub than the "norms". Scroll down to where it says "car audio". Not made anymore and these were THE subs to beat when it came to SQ.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DG%26um%3D1
Old 01-13-10, 07:14 AM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you mean "what happened?"

Kenwood has been making that "tornado" sub for like 15 years already..
Old 01-15-10, 11:23 AM
bestint
Driver School Candidate

the newer designs are made for structural support not just for looks. and i think they look fine. if it bothers you, then just get a really fine grill over them. done.
Old 01-15-10, 12:36 PM
Percy

The structural support adds mass. Slows down the response of the bass notes. You want to keep the mass down as much as possible and use the appropriate cone material with proper damping characteristics.

Newer designs are JUST for looks.

Take a race car. Very minimal. Does the job quite well. Then put on 400 pounds worth of useless bodykit work, all for show, not for go. That's how the newer subs seem to be designed - looks in mind, hype the performance, the kids won't know the difference.

And they mostly don't.
Old 01-15-10, 02:09 PM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That might not have been the best example..

bodykits aren't always just for show.
Old 01-15-10, 02:14 PM
bestint
Driver School Candidate

just get a boston acoustic SPG, done deal.
Old 01-15-10, 02:26 PM
Percy

Originally Posted by NemeGuero
That might not have been the best example..

bodykits aren't always just for show.
I'm talking about a dedicated race car, indy style. Take that and then put on 400 pounds+ of gaudy body kit.

As for the subs, they're just for looks. If you have the materials right on the first try, you wouldn't need the additional molds or the additional weight with the cone assembly.

Quick Reply: What the hell happened to subwoofers?