Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

More of..."are these any good"...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-02, 02:00 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default More of..."are these any good"...

Crystal Speakers (NOT subs)...any good?

This is NOT for the GS..it's for the SC...looking for a low cost, good sounding speaker replacement (5.25" front speakers with seperate tweeters, 5.25" coaxial for the rear, 10" freeair sub).

Due to the SC's gas tank, I have decided to go with the Planet Audio 10" NEO sub due to the super low profile and free-air use....

Now I'm looking for good yet inexpensive speakers and a 5 channel amp to drive it all...

I'm not looking to compete in any SPL events or with Percy's system (I wouldn't even ATTEMPT IT!)...I just want something better than stock that'll cost less than $1000 installed with all wiring and stuff...working on a budget on this car...for a reason.

Going to keep the stock head unit and CD Changer but I am going to add one those "cassette tape" MP3 players....anyone try those out yet? How's the sound quality (since it "plays" through the tape deck)?
Old 05-16-02, 06:26 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for your mids and tweets you can look at image dynamics, or a nice set bostons would do. As for the amps I would go with a PPI or a JL amp since your trying to stay on a budget. I wouldn't buy one of those tape deck mp3's they are not worth the money at all the sound is just horrible, look into this site it should give you some Idea's of what you can do www.mp3car.com
Old 05-17-02, 02:26 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Hey Biggie, I had heard the same thing but I've been doing some research and I've heard more good than bad things about the Digisette Duo-64 Aria....I'll just buy one from a place that has a 30 day return policy...that way, I can test it out...most of the complaints were from people who didn't have compatible tape decks...looks like it works well in some, but not in others.

Also, I remembered that I have some older MB Quart Competition speakers...they're "covertable" from component to "coaxial" (the tweeter sits on a removable "bridge")...I might as well use those...they were good enough for IASCA competition back in the days so they should be good enough for a "minor" speaker upgrade...and they're already paid for...

Now I just need a good 5-channel Amp...the PPI PCX5800 looks good...as does the JL Audio 500/5

Any other suggestions folks?
Old 05-17-02, 02:34 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb FYI

Hey Manaray, you can fit 6.5s all the way around the car. I did component ProSeries 6.5s all the way around. You'll get better midrange from a 6.5 if you can fit it into the budget.
Old 05-17-02, 02:41 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Really? What kind of modding do I need to do to get that to fit?

I already have the MB Quart's in 5.25" though...
Old 05-17-02, 03:13 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Oh then it's probably more practical for you to stay with the MB Quart 5.25" in front, and maybe 6.5" in back or something. The stock are 4" components front and back. If you remove the black plastic cabinets the stocks are mounted into inside the door, you can cut an MDF baffle, hollow it out with a router bit, mount the baffle to your door, and then mount the speakers up to 6.5" into them.
Old 05-17-02, 04:00 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by manaray

Now I just need a good 5-channel Amp...the PPI PCX5800 looks good...as does the JL Audio 500/5

Any other suggestions folks?
I think Dex is running an Alpine 5 channel amp. There are 2 models available but I can't remember the model ###'s off the top of my head. You might want to ask him how he likes it. Just a suggestion.
Old 05-17-02, 09:08 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

manaray,
if you want to get the PPI PCX5800, let me know, i know a place that have them at very low price and ship it the next day. I know because i got this amp last month

hee hee
Old 05-18-02, 04:27 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Lex400SC - Cool...thanks for the info...6.5's would be nice....

Zush - I was looking at the Alpine but I've never known them to make "quality" amps...just "generic" ones...dunno, maybe times have changed...I'll see what Dex's opinion on 'em are...thanks!

Banana - Please check yer PM... I'm interested in knowing what the price is...
Old 05-20-02, 01:29 AM
spykedawg
Rookie

i was actually amazed by the crystal cpe 6.5 comp set, i just installed a set for a friend who get them dirt cheap. much more defined, warmer tweet, better midbass than focal polykevs in the same car (at 1/3 the price). just my $0.02.
Old 05-20-02, 04:49 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

spykedawg - thanks for the info! I was thinking a set of Crystal CPe's for the front door and a set of CXe's for the rear deck...

...but I think I'm going to try out the MB Quarts (QM 130KX)...worse case scenario, I just need to swap out the speakers again...

What I'm trying to figure out now is WTF am I going to mount a 5 channel amp in the SC w/o loosing trunk space?!
Old 05-20-02, 10:17 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Manaray,

How about a set of ads speakers? Very smooth sounding...

Percy
Old 05-20-02, 10:46 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

what does Percy's system look like. I heard it was alot of $$$$.
is it nicer than Erick G's????
Old 05-20-02, 03:47 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

He doesn't know me too well, does he?

Percy
Old 05-20-02, 03:53 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Percy
He doesn't know me too well, does he?

Percy
lol not really, all i know is that you have an amazing system, I've never seen it, and you have sonme type of published book "percy's Audio Primer"

Quick Reply: More of..."are these any good"...