Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

why is my line output converter melting?....

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-10, 05:53 PM
wildace
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why is my line output converter melting?....

so i took the car to this audio spot to install an amp and a single sub in my ls430. the first 10 minutes we smelled something and pulled over to check everything over. seemed fine kept driving listening to music and everything was fine. today i drove around with the music on and stunk again and the box wasnt pumping. took the car back to the guy and he found the line output converter was melted and installed another one. this one worked for 15 minutes and now i have no more basss. whats causing this? is this guy doing something wrong? he changed the signal the second time for the converter so it would get it from another spot.

could it be the ASL feature that adjust the cars volume while driving? this is really frustrating!!!
Old 01-20-10, 07:33 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like the line out converter can't handle the output power of the stock sub. You may want to switch to one that can handle at least 80watts/ch.
Old 01-20-10, 08:13 PM
wildace
Pole Position

will i be ok with a 80 watt one like this http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...i_sku=10756155
Old 01-20-10, 08:41 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by wildace
will i be ok with a 80 watt one like this
You may be, but it's designed to spread 80 watts over all the inputs, not one. I would go with dis one hyah. Better quality unit, and rated to handle 85 watts per channel, so it shouldn't sweat your factory amp.

BTW - smart of you to pull over and check when you noticed a problem. Not so good on the installer to replace it with the same piece and expect different results. He should have known better. Curious as to what his answer was when you said it died again...

Big Mack
Old 01-20-10, 09:26 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

Like Big Mack said, pay close attention to the power handling rating per channel not collectively. I also tend to stay away from Scosche line out converters, I have seen a few fail the same way yours did. Soundgate makes good stuff I've also never had an issue with Rockford or Metra line out converters.
Old 01-20-10, 09:40 PM
wildace
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Big Mack
You may be, but it's designed to spread 80 watts over all the inputs, not one. I would go with dis one hyah. Better quality unit, and rated to handle 85 watts per channel, so it shouldn't sweat your factory amp.

BTW - smart of you to pull over and check when you noticed a problem. Not so good on the installer to replace it with the same piece and expect different results. He should have known better. Curious as to what his answer was when you said it died again...

Big Mack

he said that the signal was too much for the LOC to handle and i would need a heavier duty one. so i guess he knew by seeing it what it is the cheap LOC. u're right he shouldnt have used the same one but he did change where it was getting the signal from.

im going to try to hit up searswhen i get up and see if they have it since they have it on their site.