Search this Thread

Old 02-09-10, 09:55 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by aznaznazn
sorry quick question.
man. i bought image dynamics ctx6.5cs speakers and i went to one guy and he said that it will not fit.

do you guys think this can fit into my front doors?
Not sure, but someone who is working on theirs might be able to measure the mounting depth if that's the issue. Perhaps a small spacer could help.

Loved this fantastic price break on their site, though. I mean, come on, who can resist that discount?

Big Mack
Old 02-11-10, 12:28 AM
aznaznazn
Driver

rofl did not see that haha
Old 02-20-10, 11:12 PM
City Rider
Driver School Candidate

I just installed a pair of JL Audio XR650s on Saturday, using those adapters, and didn't have any clearance issues...As a matter of fact, I screwed the Crossovers right next to the speakers in a perfect vertical position without issue either...

I did reuse the factory tweeters though...I didn't see how I can mount the JL tweeters in the factory tweeter location...I may try to install the JL Tweeters into the door panel closer to the woofer and just run both sets of tweeters...

Oh and I also used a pair of the XTC foam baffles to house the woofers too...

I think your clearance issue has to do with reusing part of that factory plastic housing...
Old 02-22-10, 11:44 AM
CrZxDrAgOn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by City Rider
I just installed a pair of JL Audio XR650s on Saturday, using those adapters, and didn't have any clearance issues...As a matter of fact, I screwed the Crossovers right next to the speakers in a perfect vertical position without issue either...

I did reuse the factory tweeters though...I didn't see how I can mount the JL tweeters in the factory tweeter location...I may try to install the JL Tweeters into the door panel closer to the woofer and just run both sets of tweeters...

Oh and I also used a pair of the XTC foam baffles to house the woofers too...

I think your clearance issue has to do with reusing part of that factory plastic housing...
i was able to put my new infinity tweeters in the stock location
Old 02-22-10, 11:55 AM
scooter58
Lexus Test Driver

just put the adapter flush onto the door and forgot about the stock housing..
make sure u put some dynamat between the door and adapter.

i bought that adapter and installed it in my car for 2yrs and have had no problems.
Old 02-22-10, 05:39 PM
City Rider
Driver School Candidate

Ok, so I want to update what I ended up finding out and fixing...

1, the JL Audio X-Over is too thick to install on the front of the Ebay Adapters. You have to install it in the open space on the inside of them so that its not visible after you mount the adapter in place...

2, the 6.5" woofer sounds 100x louder with the foam baffle's back end open...So, I have the baffle to absorb vibration but not to seal the woofer in...

3, I didn't realize how much bass is produced by the 6.5" JL Woofers...I can't turn the bass down enough and will be installing an equalizer when I switch out the stock radio...

4, I glued the JL tweeter in place of the stock tweeters, so thats your mounting solution...

And I also installed a pair of Boston RX67 Coaxials in the Rear and that increased the total volume of sound exponentially...These speakers are nothing special but I believe the efficiency of them pulls more sound for the given factory watts...
Old 02-27-10, 01:18 PM
ChampGS3
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey City Rider,

Thanks for the informative update. I am actually looking to install some 6.5 Infinity Kappa coaxials with those same ebay style adapters in my GS4. I got a Boston Acoustics RC820 passive crossover network that I plan to use instead of the cheesy infinity one, as I feel it will do a cleaner job and more importantly it has an ambient tweeter position that I plan on running the stock Nak tweet on. The ambient setting will only play the stock Nak tweet at >8k to raise the soundstage.

My biggest question is do you think the 20w RMS of the Nak amp is going to sound ok? It sounds great pushing the stock Nak 4" and tweet but I am wondering if the stock 20w running through the passive x-over, larger 6.5 mid bass with coaxial tweeter, and also the pushing stock tweeter is going to be enough juice? Anyone have advice on this?

Other than that I am wondering is it important to not have space directly behind/beside the main 6.5 woofer open to the front of the door? I mean the 6.5 driver is moving air and if it just vents right back to the front through the spacers on these plastic mounts, then does that kill the sound?
Old 02-27-10, 05:30 PM
aznaznazn
Driver

you speakers will sound good. but if you want it to sound great then a stronger amp will be necessary.
Old 02-28-10, 02:57 PM
aznaznazn
Driver

To people with 6 1/2 speakers in sc300. do your speakers sound very clear? i have 6 1/2 speakers installed but sometimes they sound a little muffled or a bit of an echo.

This is how my speakers are installed. that black line is suppose to be a metal sheet covering the sound from traveling to the door.
Attached Thumbnails problem with 6.5 front speaker upgrade with ebay adapters-speaker.jpg  
Old 03-05-10, 06:52 PM
CrZxDrAgOn
Pole Position

mines sound perfect... but i am using components for the front and the rear
Old 03-09-10, 12:24 AM
aznaznazn
Driver

are your speakers amped up? because im not sure if the sound is bad bc mine isnt amped yet. i heard a few cars with no amp and it sounded better than mine.