Sponsored by:

Changing out stock CD changer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-02, 02:47 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Changing out stock CD changer?

This is a question for you electronics/stereo experts...

If I have the full pin-outs from a factory CD Changer and I have an aftermarket changer (say Pioneer since Pioneer also makes the Lexus ones), can I do some custom wiring to make the aftermarket unit work with the stock head unit?

I mean I can't imagine that the factory CD changer has anything "special" in terms of signals...isn't it just a matter of figuring out what wires control what and then crossing the correct wires?

If this is the case, I can get pin outs of all the factory CD changers and I'm sure getting the pin outs from aftermarket changers isn't too hard...
Old 05-22-02, 06:19 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default cd changer cables for lexus.

there is a whole indutry with companies like pie and blitzsafe making adapters for oem cd changers but not 1 measily adaptor ever for lexus. lexus and bmw had first factory cd changers in 1989. bmw changers have at least 20 different adaptors for using almost every changer made with a bmw.pioneer,alpine. sony kenwood.clarion, panasonic all have adaptors. lexus adaptors available=0. bmw figured out back 1992 that they were losing business to adaptors which were the simple pin change adaptors arond $45.00 were on the market. so bmw went to changing the reconfiguring the internal electonics on the 92 318ti. by`1996 the adaptor companies figured out the change and and made protocal changing adaptors$100.00+. so as you can see there has been a war going oem companies trying to outsmart the adaptor companies. and lexus was the supreme challenge. 4 different bus wires,txm,txs.tmp and such. no other changer had all the electronic stealth to be able to work on lexus cd changer system. the present lexus glove box changers have 2 different cd changers for each lexus model. the head unit only reads the info with a changer with the matching sysyem made for that changer and they all have different plugs and pin codes. even if you matched all the same wires the head unit wouldnt recognize the changer unless exact model it was made to recognize.some changers connect directy to radio some connect to amp. its as comlicated as figuring out a dna sequence. no a simple pin code changer was circa 1989 for bmw. from day 1 lexus has not been a breakable code cd changer sysytem. and that is also why they are 1250.00 at the dealer. you are paying a high price because pioneer charges lexus to make all the stealth technology so you have to get their changer. so you cant just flip 2 wires and have it work like the 1989 bmw could with a pioneer aftermarket changer. if someonre breaks the code let me know. ive have personally completed several lexus cd changer projects that i have figured out for the older cars. i have a cd changer cable for 92 to 96 es300 now available. so at least you can change to cd button 92 to 96 radio(it just plugs into present wiring and amp of the tape button only radio) . that way you can at least have the factory cd changer capability in the 92 to 96 es300. i have working examples already in use. i just finished my first 1989 to 1994 ls400 cd changer cable again so you can switch out the factory ls400 radio without the cd button for the cd changer controlling radio. these cables are professionally made with shielded sound carrying wires so there is no clock ticking sound you get from adptors made bu pie for bmw. they didnt shield the cables. at present i am only selling the cables as part of a whole package of radio, changer and cd changer cable. ive been working on this off and on since 1995 and finally found the right cables and connctors to do it. you may ask why would i bother making cables to preserve original lexus oem audio sysyems? the older audio systems are very high quality and will be the golden age of oem stereo systems as the new stuff is not up to the rich sound of the older systems especially the original nakamichi. also the original oem systems is what all car collectors want in their collector cars. a 1967 corvette radio as rudimentary as it is goes for 750.00. what do you think the best aftermarket radio from the same era is worth?
Old 05-22-02, 07:55 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Wow, was that all one sentence?

Good info - anyone else have other experiences?

How about reversing it and hooking up the stock CD changer to an aftermarket head unit?
Old 05-23-02, 02:22 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how about just ditching the factory stereo all together, and getting an aftermarket head unit, youll thank yourself for it in te long run. If you must have a cd changer that puts out good quality music for a good price, look into this head unit

http://www.nakamichi.com/

look at the MB-100 or the MB-75

Last edited by biggie27; 05-23-02 at 02:24 AM.
Old 05-24-02, 04:00 PM
JohnnyBlaze
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexusaudio, You sell the cables and OEM radios for first gen. LS400's? I'm in a bit of a dilemna. I have 91 LS, stock radio, no Cd button.....Can you help?
Old 05-26-02, 07:47 AM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

to johnny blaze, yes the cd changer cable i am making will work fine on a 91 system. the cd button radio is a direct swapand has all the same connectors as the tape only radio. so it will be a plug in and play swich .no wires to hack no carbon fiber dash kits needed. and it utilizes all the present speakers ,amplifier and wiring of a your several thousand dollar ls400 audio system which is far superior than any 2002 stuff they sell at best buy today. when you key up the cd button it turns on the amplifier to full hi fidelity sound which doesnt happen on tape or fm s you will be amzed how your audio system will sound once you have the cd button radio.. the other nice thing is you can have the half the size of the 91 lexus cd changer a 93 or 94 lexus ls 400 model changer which is based on the aftermarket pioneer cdx-m30 the best changer sound wise ever made and still being made by pioneer for the past 10 years so it must be something special. since you are no longer constrained to mounting the changer in the trunk you can put it anywhere you want. the custom made cd changer cable i have come up with is self contained and can be routed anywhere. under the front seat is a nice locaton as cds can be changed without going to trunk. it also cam be mounted verrtically like it is in the bmw 7 series. and best of all it keeps your ls400 with the original radio which sounds better than any of the new stuff at a comparable price. plus your ls400 will have better resale value with the original equipment in it.
Old 05-26-02, 03:52 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Changing out stock CD changer?

Originally posted by manaray
This is a question for you electronics/stereo experts...

If I have the full pin-outs from a factory CD Changer and I have an aftermarket changer (say Pioneer since Pioneer also makes the Lexus ones), can I do some custom wiring to make the aftermarket unit work with the stock head unit?

***Godfather Manaray...it won't work that easily due to Denso having a different communications protocol.***

I mean I can't imagine that the factory CD changer has anything "special" in terms of signals...isn't it just a matter of figuring out what wires control what and then crossing the correct wires?

***Wish it was that easy.***

If this is the case, I can get pin outs of all the factory CD changers and I'm sure getting the pin outs from aftermarket changers isn't too hard...
Get an aftermarket headunit...much better sounding.

Percy
Old 05-26-02, 07:08 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah, after doing some research on line converters and what not, I'm going to have to go with a aftermarket head unit...

Damn it, I really didn't want to do the because I wanted to retain the "stock" look...less likely to get broken into...
Old 05-27-02, 07:13 PM
JohnnyBlaze
Driver School Candidate

Lexusaudio...I'm very interested in doing some business with you. What will I need to do? Cost?
Old 05-29-02, 08:34 PM
POLOLEX
Driver School Candidate

lexus audio i need that cable for a 92es300 please give me your information so i can send you a money order or check cash whatever you have solved my problem and probably millions of others. I have a fm modulated clarion changer now, im goin to see if it works with it but please post your information immediately
Old 05-29-02, 09:17 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

at time i am only selling the cable by purchasing the complete conversion sytem which would include the cd changer controling radio , the cable and the 92 to 96 cd changer(86270-50030). i have both radios available so it matches the dash lites correctly. the 92 93 radio is part number 86120-33020 or the 94 to 96 radio 8610-33021. the whole system(factory radio,cable and 6 disc cd changer and 3 magazines) is 500.00 which wouldnt even cover new speakers for an aftermarket system. no new speakers, amps, dash kits, wiring is needed. the 500.00 price is discounted for clublexus members as the system is offered on the auction service rhyming with d day for more. all components are guaranteed to be a plug in and play working system and are tested as a unit prior to shipping. so you can finally have a high quality cd playing system the pioneer made 92 to 96 factory changer plas computer made cdrs with no problem as pioneer invented cds so all their oem changers play them well. sorry at this time no other changer will work with the cd changer controlling factory head unit not even other ls,gs or sc lexus changers will work. each lexus model radios only recognize the cd changer made for the speific system. my email address is pioneersuby@webtv.net if you have further questions.
Old 05-30-02, 07:27 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by lexusaudio
pioneer invented cds
I was always under the impression that the format was invented by Sony/Phillips with their "red book" standard. BTW...Sony/Phillips also has their claim to fame with the SACD "scarlet book".

Percy