Default Need upgrade suggestions...

Currently:
Headunit: stock Nakamichi
Front: 6.5" Polk db components
Rear: stock
Sub: Infinity Kappa Perfect 10", in a free-air setup in the back deck
Amp: MTX 250W mono

What I don't like:
CD changer doesn't read CDs anymore (tried cleaning)
Radio stations (and different CDs to a lesser extent) have significantly different tone/bass/etc, so I constantly adjust.
Bass from sub predictably seems a tad sloppy and rear deck rattles sometimes

What I was thinkin':
I LOVE crystal-clear highs, and wonder how Dynaudios/Focals/Rainbows would compare...I could move the Polks to the rear and upgrade the fronts? Suggestions on a budget of say $250? Worth doing?
Put the sub into a sealed box for tighter, more efficient bass. I've also heard box shape makes a big difference...true?
Double-DIN touchscreen, to update the interior and be able to play CDs/iPod. No NAV needed, but wouldn't hate having it. Say a $400 budget?

Does this make sense? Thoughts? Car is a GS400.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-13-10, 08:49 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Box shape should make very little, if any difference. The wave doesn't know where it is going. The only things to really avoid are boxes that are exactly square when you use vented enclosures, and those that do not allow for enough air to move from the pole piece if it is vented. Other than that, you should be fine. Keeping in mind that a 20 Hz wave is about 50 feet long, and the lengths go up from there, I don't see it being a problem.

As for the double DIN, suggestions here.

Fronts, I don't know that you can get into a good set of Dyns, Focals, or Rainbows for that, but I haven't looked for them in quite some time. I'm sure Percy will chime in on these as Dyns are his cup of tea.

Big Mack
Old 02-13-10, 06:21 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A set of Focal K2's in Q-forms would be soooooooo awesome I bet. There are no Q-form kick panels for the 2GS though, are there...?
Old 02-14-10, 08:37 AM
Toyboy300
Driver

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
A set of Focal K2's in Q-forms would be soooooooo awesome I bet. There are no Q-form kick panels for the 2GS though, are there...?
I was hoping Q-Forms made a kick panel for the 2GS but they don't. I'm guessing it's because of the emergency brake pedal on the driver side.

I'm getting ready for my install. Got a good deal on a new but older set of CDT 6.5" separates. Did you have a hard time with your install? Going from a 4" to a 6.5" seems drastic and I'm concerned about the mid driver rubbing against the door panel or the window hitting the magnet. I don't know what to expect.
Old 02-14-10, 12:07 PM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Visit DIYmobileaudio.com or caraudio.com. Both of those websites will have your answers.
Just for reference, I bought my Eclipse AVN5510 for $350 off another CL member. And I bought a near new Hybrid Audio Clarus 2-way component set off diymobileaudio.
The Hybrids couldn't be any better IMHO.
Old 02-14-10, 02:40 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Box shape should make very little, if any difference. The wave doesn't know where it is going. The only things to really avoid are boxes that are exactly square when you use vented enclosures, and those that do not allow for enough air to move from the pole piece if it is vented. Other than that, you should be fine. Keeping in mind that a 20 Hz wave is about 50 feet long, and the lengths go up from there, I don't see it being a problem.

As for the double DIN, suggestions here.

Fronts, I don't know that you can get into a good set of Dyns, Focals, or Rainbows for that, but I haven't looked for them in quite some time. I'm sure Percy will chime in on these as Dyns are his cup of tea.

Big Mack
You might be able to buy a pair of MW162 midwoofers for that price range, but unlikely. The Dyns are still the reference standard out of all the speakers for those seeking SQ accuracy. Polks are considered upper entry to mid level speakers.

If you ever get a chance, compare them head to head. Especially on female vocals and piano notes. Their tweeters are very accurate with no fatigue or harshness to them. Once you have tried Dyn, you won't go back to anything else. They're that good.
Old 02-14-10, 04:35 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ToyBoy: Nah, pull the whole OEM speaker box out of your door and cut a template to match it's shape out of 1/4" or 1/2" MDF. Drill teh same holes, then cut whatever diameter speaker hole in it you want!

Been researching since I started the thread, and think I'm going to like Dyn's as well. I had MB Quarts in a past car; in comparison the Polk dbs just aren't cuttin' it. I'm going to Chicago this week, hopefully I can sneak a listen to Dyns/Focals/Rainbows/etc They don't have those dealers in Appleton, WI!

If I pickup some Dynaudio components off e-bay or Craiglist, I think I may be able to pull it off price-wise. And, I have an idea for a door-mounted "q-form", using some 1/8" steel, a welder, a jigsaw, grinder, maybe some carbon fiber, and a lot of time! Kinda excited! We'll see...not gonna do it if it'll look like a science project.

So put the sub in a sealed box (square OK)?

Just gotta find a good headunit cheap...
Old 02-15-10, 11:27 AM
Toyboy300
Driver

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
ToyBoy: Nah, pull the whole OEM speaker box out of your door and cut a template to match it's shape out of 1/4" or 1/2" MDF. Drill teh same holes, then cut whatever diameter speaker hole in it you want!

Been researching since I started the thread, and think I'm going to like Dyn's as well. I had MB Quarts in a past car; in comparison the Polk dbs just aren't cuttin' it. I'm going to Chicago this week, hopefully I can sneak a listen to Dyns/Focals/Rainbows/etc They don't have those dealers in Appleton, WI!

If I pickup some Dynaudio components off e-bay or Craiglist, I think I may be able to pull it off price-wise. And, I have an idea for a door-mounted "q-form", using some 1/8" steel, a welder, a jigsaw, grinder, maybe some carbon fiber, and a lot of time! Kinda excited! We'll see...not gonna do it if it'll look like a science project.

So put the sub in a sealed box (square OK)?

Just gotta find a good headunit cheap...
Mahalo for the reassurance.