Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Just bought 2 JL W3's! Now What Type of Box Do I Need??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-10, 08:41 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Noooooooooooooo.... specs are poo! $200 is not bad though. but NOooo, specs never give optimal blast only safe running abilities. Post pics when you get it done
Old 03-01-10, 08:53 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Noooooooooooooo.... specs are poo! $200 is not bad though. but NOooo, specs never give optimal blast only safe running abilities. Post pics when you get it done
While I agree in general for those who are experienced and know how to play with the numbers to move them where they want them, in this case I agree with building to spec.

Sheehan, that's a great deal. If the construction is good (be sure he uses a 1" baffle for mounting the subs at a minimum), you should be in for some good sound. Be mindful of playing it too low, though. I strongly recommend a subsonic filter if your amp or deck has one. Set it for just above the tuning frequency to prevent unloading, which will be tougher to hear in a sedan like the GS due to the seat thickness. Bottom line - enjoy - and post pictures!

Big Mack
Old 03-02-10, 12:17 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

yea you're right sir maybe I should have clarified a bit

in regards to subsonic filter [Big Mack] when I built my last box for the 2 13w7's boy I was pissed cause with the power I was running and the box I built and of course the woofers I was using, I should have been slumpin the low notes but all I was getting was hard punching bass! 3 months went by and I was speaking to buds at their shop and he mentioned about the subsonic filter, but I was like it should still be at the same setting as with my last box... oh and btw, my trunk was custom and I made the amps pretty much inaccessible cause the box was so big (ad built in the car).. anyways had to break the amp rack to get to the amps and did find out that some how I must have turned the **** to the subsonic filter while installing it and it was set at like 60 BLAH!

just a little story cause I'm bored as hell
Old 03-02-10, 03:12 AM
Sheehan1p
★ I

Thanks much guys and yes i will def post picks subs aare coming in Wed and the box should be done by this Thurs or Fri so im excited, but what is this subsonic filter? I've never heard of this thing before haha
Old 03-02-10, 09:35 AM
aznaznazn
Driver

the subsonic or some amps call it infra sonic filter basically keeps your sub from playing too low of a note typically under 30hz. this is because many subs get damaged from playing too low of a note.

in joksters case, he accidentally filtered his sub from playing under 60 hz which is a normal bass note.
Old 03-02-10, 07:27 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by aznaznazn
the subsonic or some amps call it infra sonic filter basically keeps your sub from playing too low of a note typically under 30hz. this is because many subs get damaged from playing too low of a note.
That's one use, correct. It is also used to keep subs from playing lower than the tuning frequency. Once a sub plays below that, it can unload, leaving the amp unable to control it. The distortion rises dramatically, doing damage in the process if left unchecked or driven hard into it. Bottom line - driving it that low can damage the speaker pretty quickly. Since most modern subs can play down into the mid 20's (or possibly 30's for 10" subs), playing too low a note generally isn't a problem, but there is nothing truly audible below the frequency response, so there is very little need to push power into that range.

Originally Posted by aznaznazn
in joksters case, he accidentally filtered his sub from playing under 60 hz which is a normal bass note.
Yep, he's a smart one. Just playing, mang. We all make mistakes. Good for you for having the smarts to troubleshoot it, albeit taking some time at it.

Big Mack
Old 03-02-10, 07:29 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

all in all, its about double checking before installing... I should have triple checked them before the final install.
Old 03-02-10, 07:50 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
all in all, its about double checking before installing... I should have triple checked them before the final install.
Very troo. Anyone who's been in the game for any length of time has made a mistake. Some more costly than others. Seems you got off cheap, so lucky you.

Big Mack
Old 03-02-10, 08:51 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

oh yea, c'mon I'm sure you and I both can sit back with a couple beers and discuss all the funny trial and errors or just plain stupid noob stuff we did (or had to repair from others) when we first started LoL. I'm no where nearly like some of the shtuff I've seen out there.. but I can think of some 'tard stories lol and very much not so cheap...
Old 03-02-10, 09:31 PM
jtamulis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've installed tons of stereos in the past, and I have a truly complete woodworking shop at my disposal. I've never built my own box before. I have a 1st Gen GS300 (1995). The stock stereo was replaced with an Alpine CVA-1006 (I think), monitor/screen. I also have a DVD changer, which I'll prolly have to replace. I ran a simple 5 channel amp for a while, but it's getting taken out, and I'm putting in a pair of new amps, and replacing the sub.

I have a 500/1 JL Audio AMP for the 12" W3 sub I have. (only 1 sub)
And a 300/4 amp for the rest of the speakers. I'll leave the stock ones in for now, and I'm just fixxing the sub for now, and maybe the back two speakers.

Is there a wasy for me to put the speaker enclosure up so it kinda "sounds" out the stock sub "hole"?

and do I need a certain SIZE of box, or is it the VOLUME that matters? I/E can I make the correct volume, but wider and lower so it'll fit above the stock GS gas tank?

and what material is best for building sub boxes? how thick, etc. And do I have to have carpet on the outside (I'll have it tucked behind the new amp rack), and "hidden" by the stock GS rear carpet. and should I put insulation in the box?

I'm drasticly more interested in sound quality over volume.
as long as it's got a nice thump, I'll be happy, but I don't need to shake the car, ad long as it sounds crisp and tight and clear. I'll very likely have both amps with the gain on both turned all the way down.

Jeff
Old 03-02-10, 11:07 PM
aznaznazn
Driver

Im not sure if a GS has the middle seat area that you can pull down. but if it does you can just build a nice sealed box and it will hit your car nicely. Even if there isnt the middle seat area, just take out the stock sub and air will come through there.

For a w3 you should look at JL specs. but cubic feet is what matters. w3 i think should have 1.0 cubic ft to 1.2 for SQ.
Most people build enclosures out of 3/4 MDF or 1 inch.
and with the gain all the way down, your not really going to hear much. you should have it up a little bit.
hopes this helps.