Sponsored by:

Pioneer to Nak. Conversion- LS400

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-02, 10:27 AM
JohnnyBlaze
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pioneer to Nak. Conversion- LS400

I've been searching the boards for information on a Pioneer to Nakamichi conversion on the LS400. I recently purchased an '91 LS400 and just purchased a Nakamichi Head unit. My car has the stock Pioneer system with NO CD changer. Rather than upgrade to a Pioneer head unit with a "CD" button, I've decided to upgrade to a Nak. head unit. I don't want to mar the dash with an aftermarket head unit or draw the attention of possible theives by raising the "My car isn't stock" flag with a head unit sitting in the dash....

My questions:

1) Has anyone performed this conversion that can shed some light? Wiring harness? Diagrams? Power?

2) Is there an aftermarket CD changer or hack to make an aftermarket changer compatible with the Nak head unit?

3) Amps- On the Nak. system, the amp is part of the head unit? Is there another amp that's used? I would intend to use an aftermarket amp if I need an additional one....

I appreciate everyone's help....
Old 05-29-02, 11:21 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Have you seen the SC Nak Hack yet...?

Not sure if you saw this in your search, but Peter (933005sp) figured out all the wiring on the SC (std, prem, and nak):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=43510

Your LS may differ slightly, but this is a good start.

As for your question 3, on the SC ( and presumably the LS) there is definitely a separate Nak amp that the dealer wants a million dollars for. It is a bit more effort to wire up an aftermarket amp, but in the long run it's the best and most economical choice.
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer to Nak. Conversion- LS400-lexus_wirediagram_02cropped.jpg  

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 05-31-02 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-31-02, 07:42 AM
JohnnyBlaze
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Perry. I guess no one else has any information on this. I am so lost. I may just get an FM modulated changer and call it a day, even though I hate them. So frustrating. I bought a Nak head unit. And Lexus won't even install it for me. I have no idea what changer will work with the Nak. I hate not being able to listen to a damn CD in the car.

I had an Acura Integra GS-R. I had MB Quarts all around, PPI amps, a McIntosh head unit and changer. In the Ls400 I can't even get an aftermarket ashtray to work (Jk). Unbelieveable that there are so few options. Destroy your dash, get am FM modulated Changer, or sell a kidney to pay Lexus for their stuff (because they will only install it if you buy it from them).

I've had it. Arghhhhhhh!!

Last edited by JohnnyBlaze; 05-31-02 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-31-02, 09:36 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Here's some other info sources:

I'm pretty sure I recall reading posts where CL members got an aftermarket CD changer to work w/ the stock head unit. I just can't find them right now with the search function.

You might try posting the same question on the LS400 forum, which gets more traffic than this one.

There are also 3 similar forums for car stereos- maybe someone on there can help, or refer you to a good local shop that has figured it out already:

www.sounddomain.com
www.termpro.com
www.soundillusions.net

Don't give up yet. It can be done.....remember- "all it takes is money!"