Sponsored by:

positive or negitive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-02, 04:56 PM
j2tha0e
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default positive or negitive?

i've put in new speakers and an aftermarket amp in my car, and i know for a fact, from the headunit to the amp, i've done everything right. (according to wiring diagrams)
after the amp, is another the kuestion. for some reason, the same colors used in the factory amp harness isn't the same as the wires that actually connect to the speakers, so i think i may have some speakers out of phase.
i have a multi-meter, is there any way to use that to figure out which lead is positive (+) and negitive (-)?
is there another method?
Old 06-03-02, 03:14 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post how to figure out the speaker polarity

Yes.
Get a 1.5V AA battery. Attach the positive side of the battery (with the bump) to one speaker wire, and the negative side (flat bottom) to the other wire (assuming you've removed the wires from your amp output connections first !) As you do this, watch for the initial movement of the speaker cone. If it moves outward, then the wire connected to the positive side of the AA battery is the (+) speaker lead, otherwise (if the cone moves inward) that wire is the (-) speaker lead. DO NOT USE A BATTERY WITH A GREATER VOLTAGE, SUCH AS A 9V RECTANGULAR, ESPECIALLY FOR TWEETERS, as speaker damage can occur. (Obviously, even though you have a multimeter, the speaker wires need to remain connected to the speaker during this test.)
Hope this helps.
Jerry.
Old 06-03-02, 03:41 PM
stevie
Driver

A related question - in the stock Pioneer system are the door speakers wired in or out of phase with the deck mounted bass unit?

Stevie
Old 06-04-02, 06:40 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up In Phase

Stevie - My GS came with the Pioneer system & all my speakers were wired in phase. Didn't figure it was worth the old trick of wiring the rear door speakers out of phase since I was changing them anyway but I remember checking all of them beforehand.
Old 06-04-02, 10:27 AM
stevie
Driver

Thanks Gene. I've just swopped out the first front door drivers and wasn't quite as thorough as you.
(I can't believe how bad the stock speakers are).

Stevie