Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Mark Levinson Amp Died

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-10, 02:06 PM
Billh2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The local stereo shop quotes me $2800.00 to replace everything with a Pioneer NAV system with bluetooth, DVD and USB, using an Alpine 5 channel 1000 watt amp, a pioneer amplified sub along with replacing all the speakers. I could have cut that back some by not buying a NAV head unit, but it would still have been over 2K. I researched their prices and their parts prices were very good, I actually couldn't beat them on line. The big expense was labor.

For me, this was just not practical at this time. (Need to spend some $ on the Shelby)

I decide to just order a replacement ML amp. Call Sewell, they have a new one for $1700 or a reconditioned one for $700. (Not including the CL group buy discount) They are great people to deal with. I called Carson to see what their prices were, that was a big mistake as the conversation didn't go well and I don't plan on calling them again.
Old 04-03-10, 06:35 PM
mja
Driver School Candidate

Default Amp

Did you happen to order the amp, If so how much was it with CL discount. Where in WA are you as I live in Tacoma.
Old 04-03-10, 08:27 PM
Billh2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mja
Did you happen to order the amp, If so how much was it with CL discount. Where in WA are you as I live in Tacoma.
I ordered one from Sewell. The guy I talked to at Carson implied that a reconditioned one was an aftermarket part and they wanted nothing to do with it. He couldn't understand why I just didn't tip over and pay the $1700.00 he wanted. Go figure. With the CL discount, it was $618 including shipping. The thing that scares me about buying a used one is there in no guarantee that the used one isn't going to take a dump shortly after installing it. At least with the one from Sewell, you get a guarantee and by using an AMEX card, the guarantee is doubled. I am in Yakima.
Old 04-04-10, 12:33 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mja
if u need a OEM ML amp i have one, PM me

Originally Posted by Billh2
I ordered one from Sewell. The guy I talked to at Carson implied that a reconditioned one was an aftermarket part and they wanted nothing to do with it. He couldn't understand why I just didn't tip over and pay the $1700.00 he wanted. Go figure. With the CL discount, it was $618 including shipping. The thing that scares me about buying a used one is there in no guarantee that the used one isn't going to take a dump shortly after installing it. At least with the one from Sewell, you get a guarantee and by using an AMEX card, the guarantee is doubled. I am in Yakima.
true but as i told u in the PM from when we talked, the problem with spending 618 for it is..... that you can get a whole aftermarket setup for that price, with a better amp and sub. ALSO that amp only has a one year warranty right? what happens if in a year or so the amp goes back out? you gonna shell out another 600+ for ANOTHER new amp?
Old 04-04-10, 03:01 PM
Billh2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sakataj
if u need a OEM ML amp i have one, PM me

true but as i told u in the PM from when we talked, the problem with spending 618 for it is..... that you can get a whole aftermarket setup for that price, with a better amp and sub. ALSO that amp only has a one year warranty right? what happens if in a year or so the amp goes back out? you gonna shell out another 600+ for ANOTHER new amp?
There is a Lexus TSB that lists VIN number sequence of cars with problem amps. It included all 2001 cars. The updated amps are supposed to be a lot more reliable. (yea, I know, take that with a grain of salt) Going to an aftermarket setup would have undoubtly resulted in a better sounding system, but the drawbacks for me are:
1) I would want it ASAP, and that would mean paying for installation. I got an estimate, $1200. + Not practical at this time.
2) The car would no longer be stock. With the performance cars I have owned in the past, 15+ years of NHRA Super Stock Eliminator drag racing experience (Including an NHRA National Record, with a Ford, no less), you would think this wouldn't be an issue, but I really want the car to remain as close to stock as I can keep it. Being an old F***er, I am content with a good sounding audio system to play my folducker music. (You really know when you are getting old when you find CD's you actually like in the $3.99 bin) The Recon amp has a 1 year guarantee, using the American Express card doubles the warranty, which insures it will never be needed. It the almost 6 years I have owned my Lexus, this is the first and only thing that has ever gone wrong with it, which, based on cars I have owned for 40+ years, is amazing.
Old 06-17-10, 07:42 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Hello Billh2... do you have that TSB.
My amp died and I want to do some research. In the end I may just have to pony up the bucks and pay for a new one..

Anyone know's who fixes these?

ML is all name and hype.
Old 06-17-10, 11:05 AM
Billh2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSJake
Hello Billh2... do you have that TSB.
My amp died and I want to do some research. In the end I may just have to pony up the bucks and pay for a new one..

Anyone know's who fixes these?

ML is all name and hype.
From what I have read, Mark Levinson himself had nothing to do with that sound system. Just the name.

I will look around for that TSB, but really all it says is that the ML amps on all of the 2001 and the early 2002's are prone to failure. Mine lasted 9 years so I guess I should feel lucky.
As far as repairing them, I couldn't find someone I thought knew what they were doing. The parts guy at Sewell told me they average 4 sales per month.
http://www.sewelllexus.com/ (They are an advertiser here).
Good Luck
Old 06-17-10, 12:27 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Billh2
From what I have read, Mark Levinson himself had nothing to do with that sound system. Just the name.
Really.. that is scary cause it is defiling his name..

I believe it.. and Lexus acts like they are not aware of the problem...
Sounds familiar.. hummm.. accelerator pedal anyone..

Thanks for the info Bill.

I may just end up rolling the dice and getting one from ebay.. I figure at $350.00 a piece I can get two and store one.
Old 06-17-10, 03:18 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=Billh2;5575446]From what I have read, Mark Levinson himself had nothing to do with that sound system. Just the name.

/QUOTE]

Absolutely correct. Mark Levinson is the person in charge of a company by the name of Cello. Harman International, the ones who make the Mark Levinson products, were the ones who fought Mark (the man) for the ML name. It was quite a bitter lawsuit.

Levinson (the man) I have PLENTY of respect for. Harman International, the owners of Mark Levinson (the company), Infinity, Bose, JBL, Harman Kardon and Revel speaker company are all looking for the bottom line.

The typical "harman" sound is not very good. And it definitely shows with the products they are putting out.
Old 06-18-10, 07:49 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Percy.. good to know.. I wont hold this against Mark then.
I used to work in a home audio shop and yea Harmon anything, was basically pretty looking junk.

Well on a side note I did find this company that will repair it for ~ $150.00... Any experience or advice<>?

http://www.ats4solutions.com/contact_us/
Old 06-18-10, 08:14 AM
Percy

Contact them first about what you have in mind.
Old 06-18-10, 09:04 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

I did and they said to ship it in and they will ship it out their repair facility who handles this type of amp. They do most amps in-house but the ML stuff is of course "special". Sounds about right?
I think I may go this route..
Old 06-18-10, 09:48 AM
Percy

The ML amp is indeed "special". It utilizes lower end components than most aftermarket manufacturers use.
Old 06-18-10, 09:58 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Percy
The ML amp is indeed "special". It utilizes lower end components than most aftermarket manufacturers use.
LOL.

This stinks.. I love music and dont want to look like a goon in my Lexus with ear buds in.

Anyway.. I will keep the board posted with the results of this repair facility.
Old 08-25-10, 03:54 PM
milellie11
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GSJake
Percy.. good to know.. I wont hold this against Mark then.
I used to work in a home audio shop and yea Harmon anything, was basically pretty looking junk.

Well on a side note I did find this company that will repair it for ~ $150.00... Any experience or advice<>?

http://www.ats4solutions.com/contact_us/

I just contacted the company today and they said for Mark Levinson amp repairs, they charge $470!!

Anybody have a spare amp lying around they would like to sell?

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Amp Died