Sponsored by:

Attn: Anyone with Mark Levinson & aftermarket bass

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-10, 01:12 PM
CashOverAs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attn: Anyone with Mark Levinson & aftermarket bass

I have an 06 gs430 with ML. I have asked before and searched 100 times. The only thing I see is people without mark levinson that think they know what they are talking about, or people with mark levinson and no aftermarket bass that think they know what they are talking about...

I want aftermarket bass. I tried to use an output line converter. twice. and they both fried. The power coming FROM the mark levinson amp to the output line converter is too much. I need to find a way to either tap into the bass signal BEFORE the ML amp, or some other option I don't know about.

If you have ML & aftermarket subs, please let me know how you did this.
Old 03-13-10, 03:20 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by CashOverAs
I have an 06 gs430 with ML. I have asked before and searched 100 times.
I don't know how you could have searched "100 times" and not found the answer. I know that I personally have discussed it several times, with this being one of them. That LOC should handle everything the factory amp puts out without a problem, as it is rated for 85 watts per channel. This is your problem - most LOC's are designed to take the output of the deck, not an amp. This one is designed for use in upgraded factory systems like the ML.

The only thing I see is people without mark levinson that think they know what they are talking about, or people with mark levinson and no aftermarket bass that think they know what they are talking about...
I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I want aftermarket bass. I tried to use an output line converter. twice. and they both fried. The power coming FROM the mark levinson amp to the output line converter is too much. I need to find a way to either tap into the bass signal BEFORE the ML amp, or some other option I don't know about.

If you have ML & aftermarket subs, please let me know how you did this.
I've only done this about 60 or 70 times, so I have no clue.

/sarcasm. In all seriousness, that unit should work just fine. Soundgate makes quality products, and I've used them for years.

Big Mack
Old 03-13-10, 03:39 PM
CashOverAs
Driver

Yo dude. Thanks for posting. I think last time I asked about this you were the only one to chime in with input. So again, I appreciate it.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong I guess. I have installed and uninstalled a lot of subs in my time. even ones with stock subs and stock amps (bose set up on my acura Tl). But I tried twice with my GS and can't get anyhting to work.

I took my car to a very reputable shop here in south florida when I fried my second LOC and the master installer there was in shock. He said I did everything EXACTLY how he would have. I told him I wanted to save the $ and do the instal myself but at this point I was lost and asked what he would charge to take care of it and he basically said he couldn't do it.

I was using an SNI-35 (per someone on CL.com's recommendation) but I have just purchased the unit you recomended in that other thread.

Thanks again!!

Thanks again!
Old 03-13-10, 03:58 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Talking

Yo dude. Thanks for posting. I think last time I asked about this you were the only one to chime in with input. So again, I appreciate it.
Could have been me. I try to help where I can, so you're welcome.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong I guess.
Compatible with 2 - 40 watts RMS of Radio Output

This would be the problem. You overloaded it like nobody's business.

I took my car to a very reputable shop here in south florida when I fried my second LOC and the master installer there was in shock. He said I did everything EXACTLY how he would have. I told him I wanted to save the $ and do the instal myself but at this point I was lost and asked what he would charge to take care of it and he basically said he couldn't do it.
That's because he didn't want the liability, but he should have been able to explain what the problem was. My guess is he didn't want the liability, but also didn't know what the problem was because he's using a "formula" when coming up with the solution. That formula is: replacement parts + labor = profit. It should be knowledge/expertise + required/correct parts + labor = profit.

I was using an SNI-35 (per someone on CL.com's recommendation) but I have just purchased the unit you recomended in that other thread.

Thanks again!!

Thanks again!
Yes, I am familiar with that unit. Specs are here. and it's not designed for what you want. The Soundgate is.

You're welcome again (x2).

Big Mack
Old 03-13-10, 05:30 PM
Sheehan1p
★ I

Guys I have pulled this off in my car flawlessly. I am running an American Bass 900 watt amp and have a line out convertor and I am running 2 JLW3's 12". So far I have had no problems what so ever, also I do have ML
Old 03-13-10, 11:01 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a brand new Audiocontrol lc8. Should do the trick. It can handle 400watts.

Hit me up
Old 03-14-10, 11:23 AM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will this be fine: : 2 Channel, 50 Watt per channel , Line Output Converter that will perfectly interface any OEM automotive system to an aftermarket power amplifier, equalizer, electronic crossover, etc. The N-RHL2 uses our "Industry Leading" NE-7V LOC circuitry, and adds the benefits of our N-902 Auto-Trigger circuitry� all in one convenient package. The PINK wire from the N-RHL2 connects to the Remote / Trigger wire of your aftermarket power amplifier so that it will turn on and turn off with the audio system. Let's say that you wanted to add bass to a factory system. Just tap into the car's factory speaker wires with the N-RHL2, and let the PINK wire control your sub woofer's power amplifier. Instructions included.

50watts vs 85watts from soundgate ? Now that i understand better, i can get away with 50watts since this nice unit has a remote trigger wire that will be very useful.

thank you.
Old 03-14-10, 01:10 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Blueshark
2 Channel, 50 Watt per channel , Line Output Converter
The ML amp pushes about 80 watts. I wouldn't risk it to save a few bucks. Yes, it is convenient to have the converter turn on the amp, but not at the risk of a vehicle fire.

On a side note, does anyone know what this little symbol is? I see it on the page, and I've seen it a few times here. It's rather annoying, as I know my browser and plug ins are up to date. Perhaps it's a character that isn't supported?

Big Mack
Old 03-14-10, 01:29 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thank you Mack, i will go with soundgate then, found a good deal on Ebay. If i may ask Mack, do you work in an audio shop or something considering your knowledge.

As per the symbol : http://www.davidnavone.com/cart.asp?24&cat=7 ... it is the copyright
Old 03-14-10, 05:18 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

thank you Mack, i will go with soundgate then, found a good deal on Ebay.
Good plan, and you're welcome.

If i may ask Mack, do you work in an audio shop or something considering your knowledge.
Not anymore. Ran one for several years, worked in the field for quite a long time. Now it's still a hobby, but I keep up with the times pretty well.

As per the symbol : http://www.davidnavone.com/cart.asp?24&cat=7 ... it is the copyright
Cool. Always wondered...weird that it doesn't come up in either browser. You would think the ® or © would show up easily.

Big Mack
Old 03-15-10, 07:18 AM
What
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by excluesive
I have a brand new Audiocontrol lc8. Should do the trick. It can handle 400watts.

Hit me up
Yep. OR, Audio Control Epicenter Plus
http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/5249...Processor.html
Old 03-15-10, 08:19 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by What
Yep. OR, Audio Control Epicenter Plus
http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/5249...Processor.html
Ah, but that processor states very specifically that it will "work best with a full range signal" - something he's not planning on doing. Nice that they include the GTO in that unit, but if it's not happy with just bass coming in to turn it on, then what does he do?

Big Mack