Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

nakamichi stereo help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-10, 12:32 PM
PapaCap
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sub or rear deck speakers are not hooked up. I'm still fixing everything a previous owner did. On a Pioneer amp, assume that the sub does not work. The Naka amp is definitely a 5 or more channel amp (I took it apart...at quick glance, it may be 6 channel with 2 channels bridged). The Pioneer is at best 4 channel (not 100% sure, but it's too small to have a sub output). I should have more info in the next couple weeks as I hook up new speakers in the right configuration.

And I paid $6 for the Nakamichi amp at Pull-a-Part, no warranty. It works. Go figure. ...Don't get me started on these jokers on here that think their parts are made out of gold...but that's a different thread.

PC
Old 07-21-10, 11:17 AM
SC4hundo
Rookie

Originally Posted by PapaCap
The sub or rear deck speakers are not hooked up. I'm still fixing everything a previous owner did. On a Pioneer amp, assume that the sub does not work. The Naka amp is definitely a 5 or more channel amp (I took it apart...at quick glance, it may be 6 channel with 2 channels bridged). The Pioneer is at best 4 channel (not 100% sure, but it's too small to have a sub output). I should have more info in the next couple weeks as I hook up new speakers in the right configuration.

And I paid $6 for the Nakamichi amp at Pull-a-Part, no warranty. It works. Go figure. ...Don't get me started on these jokers on here that think their parts are made out of gold...but that's a different thread.

PC
6 bucks!?! THATS a steal! lol. wish pull-a-part employees in my area were smart enough (not to mention NOT lazy) to look up these parts for me. they're always saying the same ol crap; well, what we have here is what we have here and theres no way of knowing what is left on the car"
Old 07-22-10, 07:43 PM
PapaCap
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, Pull-a-Part doesn't do that. Usually, the first things gone in a day or so on any Lexus is the radio, ac control panel, computer and front clip. Most don't take the amps or cd player in the trunk. If I was you, I'd roll down there and see what's on the car (if they have them). The best thing to do is constantly check the online PAP inventory and the day that a car comes in, get your booty down there and get what you need, even if it's a 2-3 hour drive. I have 3 PAPs in my area, all about an hour away. I go there way too much.

Oh and btw, I plan on repairing my Nak amp (like I said, I do electronic repairs). If I get it working, I'd be more than happy to fix yours for a reasonable price...something like $50-$75 including shipping back. These amps have power caps and high power resistors that go bad. I figure $15 in parts should take care of it. And it'll be 'rebuilt.' Or...run down to PAP and cross your fingers...

PC
Old 07-25-10, 12:53 AM
SC4hundo
Rookie

i would love to do that and def keep it all with the original stereo it has cuz i used to work at a lexus dealership and for stock, they actually dont sound that bad but im not sure if its the headunit thats not working. i gotta try to find someone with a working system and see if they're nice enough to work with me and try to plug theirs into mine or vise versa and see whats wrong one by one. i have a pioneer deck from my totalled civic but id have to find the connector that goes to the back of the headunit. dumb me forgot to pull that harness out when i pulled it out of my civic at the junkyard =/
Old 07-27-10, 08:47 PM
PapaCap
Driver School Candidate

Hey hundo, keep in mind that the Pioneer amp will plug right into the Nakamichi amp harness and work, no prob. Just the sub won't work. I have a Pioneer amp I'd sell you for $15 +$5 for shipping (I paid $15 on eBay for it--I got it before I found that Nakamichi amp at PAP). That could at least tell you whether the head unit is bad or not. And the amp will power your speakers minus subs until you get your Naka amp replaced/repaired.

PC
Old 12-02-10, 12:11 PM
funtimes
Driver School Candidate

hey papa cap, i have a nak amp from a 98 ls400...it was working (except i never could seem to get the sub wires to make my subs play at anything other than something like line level volumes (i don't think there is a separate sub amp?>) anyways, something happened in my wiring mess and the amp makes any speaker i hook up to it make a ticking sound and it also seems to be causing a bit of a violent reaction in speakers, like its on full blast and causes speakers to break or somethiung after a second or two of really fast in and out like a machine gun? i got the amp at a junkyard and am putting it in my honda accord...til i get a lexus...it seemed like i could control the volume before when i was testing it with a 12v cordless drill battery and a deck i have in my home....i didn't hook up the atx+ atx- ctx+ ctx- , etc, none of that. i don't have a cd changer...i am using an aftermarket head unit. i have one of those steering wheel volume controls from honda but its just got two wires from it and both are blue with a red line? could i hook that up to the ctx+- thing? are the sounds i describe classic blown/ruined amp noise? is this amp killing any speaker i attach to it?
thanks a ton, i solder and try to repair stuff a bit, really try to avoid spending money, probably too much.
more background on it and wiring diagrams...: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=67531