Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Metra power antenna in an SC

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-10 | 05:13 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Default Metra power antenna in an SC

I'm finally getting around to fixing the antenna in my SC. It's a Metra Roadworks antenna that was installed by a previous owner. It's never worked but I have verified it is functional by manually triggering the relay. Going through the wiring, I've discovered the harness that I assume was for the original antenna has been cut and a DEI 55000 remote power adapter installed.

From the plug, the blue & yellow wire is apparently main hot, the white and black main ground. The two pink wires were cut, one of which hooked to the trigger line of the DEI unit (which is apparently like a relay/booster) and the trigger line to the antenna unit is hooked the grey wire on the DEI unit which is supposed to be the boosted output line.

From the thread about installing the aftermarket radio with oem speakers and such, I've gathered that the two pink wires (at least on the radio side) are for the antenna. No matter which of the two i hook up (or both), the antenna doesn't work. If I try to check for signal with a 12v light on the two pink wires, one does nothing, the other seems to mute the radio. Neither indicate any voltage on the line.

Anyone have any clue? Perhaps my headunit just isn't sending the signal back or the wire is cut somewhere. I'll be installing an entire new aftermarket system in a couple weeks so wanted to get this ironed out before hand.

I cant find any pinouts for the harness and the instructions for the antenna were no help. I'm assuming given that the DEI unit was installed, it must have worked at some point. I've tried removing it from the equation by going straight from the pink wire(s) to the trigger on the antenna with no love.

Thanks to anyone that can shed some light!
Old 03-20-10 | 07:24 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Attached are wiring diagrams from the ARRC website for the antenna and standard radio. PM me if you need diagrams for the optional radios. Many public libraries provide access to ARRC.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1997 SC300 antenna diagram.pdf (42.2 KB, 244 views)
File Type: pdf
Old 03-20-10 | 08:56 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by SCereal
I'm finally getting around to fixing the antenna in my SC. It's a Metra Roadworks antenna that was installed by a previous owner. It's never worked but I have verified it is functional by manually triggering the relay.
You've done what you needed to do at this point.

Originally Posted by SCereal
I'll be installing an entire new aftermarket system in a couple weeks so wanted to get this ironed out before hand.
The new aftermarket radio will use the blue w/white stripe wire to trip the relay for the antenna. Since you verified it is working by giving it power directly, I would remove the DEI piece altogether.

Big Mack
Old 01-12-12 | 05:02 PM
cynbird
Driver School Candidate

Talking Antenna wiring CHAOS!!

Originally Posted by Kansas
Attached are wiring diagrams from the ARRC website for the antenna and standard radio. PM me if you need diagrams for the optional radios. Many public libraries provide access to ARRC.
Thank you for providing the great antenna wiring diagram - I think I actually understand it! However, my wires don't look like that. The bundle of wires coming down into the trunk all seem to correspond to the colors listed on the PDF diagram, but my larger white plug only has 7 wires total, not enough to correspond to the diagram. Someone obviously did a pretty bad botch job on it, not sure why, but here is a pic that will hopefully give someone out there a clue?? Not sure how to splice 8 smaller wires onto 4 larger ones....

Any suggestions or assistance would be MUCH APPRECIATED!!