Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Can someone recommend me a mid-low range speaker for rear fill?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-10, 01:37 PM
boostd4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone recommend me a mid-low range speaker for rear fill?

I'm trying to find a speaker that has good low frequency reproduction and can be powered by my Alpine head unit (25w rms/channel).

It's for my "other" car and I don't want a subwoofer in it. I don't mind not having boomy bass, I just want to be able to hear a bass drum hit and enjoy the lower half of the frequencies.

It seems every time I buy an aftermarket speaker that's NOT a subwoofer it has no descernable low range reproduction (anything below 250hz or so(?) ).

They will be going in a hatch and I will make custom enclosures for them (similar to truck boxes, I suppose).

Any suggestions?
Old 03-19-10, 03:41 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by boostd4
I'm trying to find a speaker that has good low frequency reproduction and can be powered by my Alpine head unit (25w rms/channel).
This will be your primary limitation. Very little power = more challenging for the speaker.

Originally Posted by boostd4
It seems every time I buy an aftermarket speaker that's NOT a subwoofer it has no descernable low range reproduction (anything below 250hz or so(?) )
Not sure where you're getting your information, but a decent 6.5" speaker should be able to get into the 60 Hz range quite easily. Some of the higher end units in that size should tear into 50 Hz with some authority.

I know Crutchfield isn't always correct in their info, but the fr. resp. specs come from the manufacturers.

These claim response to 48 Hz, and are a coax.

This component set gets to 53 Hz. I'm sure a set of those would do a kick drum justice, as I have heard them myself and they can get down.

Big Mack
Old 03-19-10, 05:44 PM
boostd4
Driver

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Not sure where you're getting your information, but a decent 6.5" speaker should be able to get into the 60 Hz range quite easily. Some of the higher end units in that size should tear into 50 Hz with some authority.
I made it up. 75% of statistics are made up - surprised you didn't know that

I understand that the manufacturers rate their speakers capable down well below 250hz. I picked that number out of the blue because for *ALL* the speakers I've tried that were rated below 100hz, none of them had any real bass-i-ness to them. I highly doubt I'm going to hear a descernable difference between a 48hz rated speaker and a 60hz rated speakers when all I really hear from them are mids anyway.

I appreciate the feedback. After doing a bunch of reading I think I'm pretty much forced into using a subwoofer with a separate amp. I'm thinking a small 8" in a small box with a 100w d-class amp or so. Something I can put together complete for <$150. Sound reasonable?

-Adam