Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

The Mystery of the Phantom Alarm Trigger - Solved!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-10, 09:32 AM
skgupta24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Mystery of the Phantom Alarm Trigger - Solved!

Hi All,

A couple of months ago, after a very heavy rain, my gal's 2000 SC300 suddenly developed a propensity to have it's alarm go off for no apparent reason.

It was extremely frustrating because it appeared to be completely unpredictable and the only easy remedy was to leave the car unlocked.

After some investigation, I realized the problem was traceable to a puddle of water that had accumulated on the passenger side of the back trunk, just behind the rear wheel well. It's the area where the SC has its stock amplifier and stock CD Changer mounted.

On her car, I replaced the stock system with an aftermarket amp, and the puddle was able to wet some of the wiring connectors in that area. There's probably a similar danger with the stock components.

Apparently that same area also contains a drain hose from the sunroof that is supposed to pass through the well and drain out behind the rear wheel, but the hose had been displaced and was draining inside the well, instead, causing the lake in the trunk.

After the puddle was drained and the tube was fitted back through the drain hole in the well, the alarm never went off again.

I suspect that the puddle caused a minor, intermittent short across the connectors for the sound system which caused the alarm system to think someone was tampering with the battery. This also jibes up with previous posters who reported their sound systems behaving strangely along with the alarm system.

So if your SC alarm goes off for no reason, I'd check the back trunk for puddles and lakes.
Old 03-24-10, 10:53 AM
Dirty SC
Pole Position

good to know. had the same thing happen to my car after some hard rain.

thanks for the info
Old 03-31-10, 10:50 PM
meangreen1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow me too! Today it rained really hard. Lol it is Oregon :-)
Old 08-15-11, 04:33 AM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Okay so after many many searches, this is the closest one to my experience. The past 2 days its been raining like crazy in Jersey so thats directly related. 5 months ago I discovered that water was leaking into my car causing my amplifier to fail and stop working. That was replaced an my stereo started working again.

This morning after coming home from work around 5 am, Upon sitting in my car, I smelled something funky and gasey like. My co worker described it as "perfumes". Anyway so after i got home, 20 minutes later my alarm went off. shut it off an than it happened repeatedly. my dad woke up an we decided to see what was going on. I sat in the car and all the dashboard lights were going on an off without the key in the ignition! The auto tilt stopped working. I turned the key an the car started right up but idk what was the problem.

We popped the trunk and smoke was coming from my trunk! and that smell again! I pulled off the trunk cover an exposed the gas tank area until all the smoke went away. What could this problem be??????????????

I disconnected the battery in hopes of trying to get some sleep tonight but had to post it up here CLubLexus first.

HELP ME!!!!
Old 08-22-11, 07:02 AM
skgupta24
Driver School Candidate

Read my original post again. You've got a puddle in your back trunk ovr the rear passenger side wheel. Disconnect the battery and remove your amp. Check your drain tubes. I bet one of them is displaced and is draining into youur trunk instead of through the hole behind the wheel.
Old 11-06-11, 10:43 AM
navii
Driver School Candidate

this recently happened to me, thinking it was the alarm relay i checked everywhere and came up blank, i researched online, came across these forums and saw that people had had leaks in the trunk, so i decided to look, to my surprise the antenna relay was full of water, once removed i had no problems with the alarm going randomly off and the lights flickering and all, so in short, check your antenna relay.