Sponsored by:

Blowing fuse problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-10, 10:11 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blowing fuse problem

This is a NON LEXUS related problem, but I figured I'd post and see if anyone can help me out.

I have a 13w7 hooked to a 1000/1 in my Expedition. I have a 2nd battery in the back, next to the box and amp. I keep blowing fuses (100 amp). It's not just an on then pop. It's over time. My amp is hooked to the 2nd batt pos and neg. the neg is grounded at a seat belt bolt.

Does anyone have any idea what's causing this?
Old 04-12-10, 10:21 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

It could be either the amp drawing more than 100A or making a intermittent short with ground.
Old 04-13-10, 04:51 PM
ivory98es3
Driver

You will need a DMM to do some tests w/ your connections.......First, check the resistance of your ground connection (Ohm reading) - you want this to be as close to 0.0 as possible. Also ,try changing your groundpoint as well - and make sure to use a dremel w/ sanding bit to grind down the paint to ensure you have a solid metal to metal connection.

Measure the voltage you are getting when the amp is on and producing power for your sub - What's the reading? 14v? 12v? or less?

Wire connections at the amp, make sure no wires are touching at all (not even 1 strand!)

Also, what kind of music are you listening to? Rap? Rock? etc......if you are pushing the sub w/ alot of bass, your amp is sucking up the power that is available at a wicked rate. If that's the case, try a fuse that is 120A and see if you get the same issue.

Are there any other amps in the system? if so, that's your problem.....100A is too small for 1000/1 and another amp.....

Let us know what you get for readings..........
Old 04-13-10, 08:48 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Unfortunately my meter doesn't do ohm, I'll have to look into one.

I only have it on when I listen to rap. and this is the only amp in my system.

I'll get readings tomorrow and post them up
Old 04-13-10, 10:49 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Bump the fuse with a bigger one.
Old 04-14-10, 10:38 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by rgarjr
Bump the fuse with a bigger one.
Not good advice without an explanation. If there is a problem with blowing fuses, you fix the problem, not feed it more current without checking things.

Since the OP said it is a slow blow, I am inclined to look, as Ivory did, at the whole system - are there any additional amps? It takes a lot to blow a 100A fuse, however, so unless the other amp is drawing over 100A, too, I suspect a short. ANL fuses do not blow quickly unless drawing significant amounts of current. Over time, exceeding the amperage by about 25% on a regular basis will cause the fuse to blow. Since this isn't an instantaneous thing, it leads me to believe that this is the case.

JL recommends a 100A fuse for the amp. Taking into account that they are recommending this based on typical usage, I'd stick with that - for the 1000/1. If you have an additional amp, you need to fuse that one correctly for the amp, and upgrade your under hood fuse to the combined (or very close) rating of the whole system's draw.

Check the other things that Ivory said and get back to us.

Big Mack
Old 05-13-10, 04:47 AM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

what gauge wires are u using too? if theyre too thin this can cause the amp to over heat and blow the fuse, if they are kinda thin upgrade them to like a 2 gauge wire, upgrade the power cable and the ground cable I would also move the ground cable, like the other post said grind a spot on the frame of car and bolt it there, u should never put a larger fuse than recommended, that can cause more damage to the amp