Sponsored by:

Subs

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-01, 12:57 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Themi,

You're going to get the best results if you keep things simple. One sub in the stock location will keep the phase problems to an absolute minimum. If you have a box firing at the rear of the trunk there will be phasing problems introduced. Trying to get some volume/airflow through the stock speaker hole (if you've removed the stock sub) is not too easily done and you may actually encounter hissing noises...port noise...from all the airflow.

Remember that the Vel controller has a setting for free air config...and it does it well!

You really can't change the settings on the stock crossover. That's built into the amp and from the last time I saw the amp, the crossover was DSP controlled, at least for the sub anyways. No passive filters anywhere for the sub! The Vel has an onboard electronic phase and crossover controller though. Just switch it to the point where it sounds good to you.

Get rid of the installer that wants bandpass in a SQ automobile! He's an SPL traitor in disguise!

Percy
Old 10-12-01, 05:44 PM
amlin423
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Themis, I'm looking for a Velo Sub....are you willing to let one of yours go? I'm looking for a 12 incher though...if we can agree on the price I'll take it off your hands....

Also looking at Phase Linear Aliante Subs....small mounting depth....euro mag said it beat out the focal utopia subs...pretty interesting.....you can find them at www.ampmanaudio.com

I'm almost finished with my system....Just waiting for my Mcintosh x-overs and controller to arrive...they're on back order....
I will post pics on my install......I'm sure it'll help to some degree
Old 10-12-01, 09:20 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If I remember right, he has the 10's. But geez they sound good!

Percy
Old 10-17-01, 01:47 AM
methodmf
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A buddy of mine is getting rid of a 10 inch Orion subwoofer and I was thinking of replacing the stock sub in my SC400 with it. I want to know if it is really worth it if I dont plan on adding an amplifier right away. (will I really notice a difference).

I don't think it's a good idea to replace those kind of subs with the factory. the orion sub is "meant" to use with a sealed box. the stock subs is open so if you put the orion sub in it's not going to sound very good.

I wanted to replace factory sub before too but decided to do the whole system. however if you want to replace "just" the sub JL audio makes a sub that's meant to use in an open space.