Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

RCA signal noise? ran opposite 12v+

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-10, 09:37 PM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking I should just run the RCA's down the center console because I'm worried that I won't have enough length for my Reverse camera wire.. (I'm gonna run them together cuz I get a staticy image from the RCA line on that too).

The problem is.. I feel like no matter where I run it I have to come across the fuel pump wiring under the passenger seat.

Why would the twisted pair RCAs be ok with the power wire but not with the other wiring under the dash?
Old 04-28-10, 09:43 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by NemeGuero
I'm thinking I should just run the RCA's down the center console because I'm worried that I won't have enough length for my Reverse camera wire.. (I'm gonna run them together cuz I get a staticy image from the RCA line on that too).
Ah, then it's almost certainly the location of the RCAs and not the amp itself. Center might be a better option, especially if length is a concern. It's a bit more work, but such is life.

The problem is.. I feel like no matter where I run it I have to come across the fuel pump wiring under the passenger seat.
Isn't the tank under the hump in the trunk? That would put the pump out back, too, not under the seat. I don't think they can put a fuel pump inside the vehicle, but I could be wrong on that.

Why would the twisted pair RCAs be ok with the power wire but not with the other wiring under the dash?
Because motors alternate the current when they run. They're electromagnetics, so they constantly flip the poles to spin. Granted, they aren't on all the time, but there is a lot of wiring up in the dash for controls and what not, and each is getting power. That's a noise problem just waiting to happen.

Big Mack
Old 04-29-10, 02:25 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem in the past with my old car, whining noise almost impossible to figure out. Trying to avoid bring it to an audio shop, i ran all the test possible thinking that it is the RCA. Finally, it was the amplifier. The only way is to swap the amplifier to another car. I had the best possible RCA money can buy and didn't figure out the K.I.S.S. method (aka keep it simply stupid). As stated above, i when from the RCA to all possible interference including the big 3 and alternator.
Old 04-29-10, 06:24 PM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

Big Mack!!!

At the amp with the car running... 14.11 Volts
At the battery with the car running... 14.09 Volts

(not joking.. triple checked)

I also re-ran the RCA's inside the cabin (not under any carpet) straight to the trunk and I still hear the noise, just as loud as before.

Its that noise that gets louder with RPM's of the car.. just to be clear.
I'm going to fix the ground on the head unit right now...

HELP!
Old 04-29-10, 07:12 PM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

Fixed the ground on the HU.. There is NO WAY that it isn't a good ground. I used a stud that was used to mount the CD changer that goes to the metal dash bar, wire brushed it, crimped on a ring terminal and smashed it with the original jam nut.

At this point I still have the amp completely unplugged but I can still hear the whine. (I'm guessing from the door speakers.)
Its at 1/3 regular volume as before. I completely unplug the HU and it goes away.

It can't be the amp because the noise is still there without the amp on.. just less loud.

It can't be the HU cuz I hear it in the amp when the RCAs are unplugged from the Head Unit.

Its not the ground on the amp cuz it gets better ground than my battery does.

Its.. my car?

Last edited by NemeGuero; 04-29-10 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-30-10, 07:54 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Fixed the ground on the HU.. There is NO WAY that it isn't a good ground. I used a stud that was used to mount the CD changer that goes to the metal dash bar, wire brushed it, crimped on a ring terminal and smashed it with the original jam nut.
Unfortunately, there are plenty of ways it could be a bad ground. If the weld on the bracket isn't done well, bad ground. If it's not attached to something that has a solid weld, bad ground.

At this point I still have the amp completely unplugged but I can still hear the whine. (I'm guessing from the door speakers.)
Then the amp should have nothing to do with the noise, but keep reading because I'm a bit confused by the next statements.

Its at 1/3 regular volume as before. I completely unplug the HU and it goes away.
It might be the deck. When you remove it from the chain, the noise goes away. This usually means it's the deck.

It can't be the amp because the noise is still there without the amp on.. just less loud.
How are the speakers being powered without the amp on? I'm confused. Are you swapping from deck power to amp power?

Its.. my car?
Yes. It's haunted. Sell it for cheap and move on.

Big Mack
Old 04-30-10, 07:59 AM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

The only thing powered by the amp is the subwoofer.

The door speakers are running off the headunit.

And I discovered that the noise doesn't completely go away with even the HU unplugged, but it isn't high pitched at all.

If its the headunit.. can I test if the ground is bad? Or are there any fixes? its brand new.. it shouldn't be giving me problems.
Old 04-30-10, 08:05 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

The only thing powered by the amp is the subwoofer.
That's kind of what I thought, but I wanted to be sure. The amp is now eliminated from the noise issue unless it's giving hella feedback on the ground (very, very unlikely).

The door speakers are running off the headunit.

And I discovered that the noise doesn't completely go away with even the HU unplugged, but it isn't high pitched at all.
Interesting. It could simply be the wiring getting radiated noise, then. Did you run new wires to the speakers?

If its the headunit.. can I test if the ground is bad? Or are there any fixes? its brand new.. it shouldn't be giving me problems.
Yes, you hook the directly to the battery with the car off. Since the alternator isn't spinning, it eliminates the problem of alternator whine. If it's still noisy, the deck is defective. The fix is to get it replaced. If it's brand new and under warranty, this shouldn't be a problem. What deck are you using? I agree that it shouldn't be giving problems like this, but every once in a while a lemon slips through - nature of the beast.

Edit: if you have an extra speaker, hook that to the speaker output on the deck. Do it for each channel and see if there is noise with car off or on. If there isn't, the deck is fine - it's the wiring to the speakers.

Big Mack
Old 04-30-10, 08:20 AM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

I did run new wires to the speakers. (bypassed the amp using the METRA70 Harness and lengthened the wires to the HU connector). I ran them all in the stock location. I actually removed the factory amp completely.

I only hear the noise when the car is running.
So hooking the power wires directly to the battery should eliminate the noise and if it doesn't, the problem is the HU itself?

I'm using FlyAudio's D7500.

I have the factory sub, will that work as an extra speaker? I really dont want to hack apart my harness though.. I spent a lot of time soldering and shrinking it.. haha
Old 04-30-10, 08:45 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

I did run new wires to the speakers. (bypassed the amp using the METRA70 Harness and lengthened the wires to the HU connector). I ran them all in the stock location. I actually removed the factory amp completely.
Okay, that should be fine, but I'm concerned that the noise is radiated over the wires.

I only hear the noise when the car is running.
So hooking the power wires directly to the battery should eliminate the noise and if it doesn't, the problem is the HU itself?

I'm using FlyAudio's D7500.
Yes, if the noise is there when the battery is connected directly and the car is off, it's the deck. If it's not, but comes back when the car is on, the harness or ground are to blame.

I have the factory sub, will that work as an extra speaker? I really dont want to hack apart my harness though.. I spent a lot of time soldering and shrinking it.. haha
Not really. The factory sub will probably barely play anything like whine. A regular speaker works best. Even a factory mid would be fine, but you will need access to the wiring. If you can rig the harness with some wires directly to the necessary pins (power, ground, speaker are all that are really needed), you should be able to do this. I guess I'm spoiled with testing gear, but it's nothing special really. Alligator clips and spools of wire everywhere make harness building easy, but you can do it!

Big Mack
Old 04-30-10, 09:02 AM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

I only hear the noise when the car is running, so I'm confused by your response about the car being off and expecting the noise...
Old 04-30-10, 04:39 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

I only hear the noise when the car is running, so I'm confused by your response about the car being off and expecting the noise...
I didn't see you say it was only with the car running. What I was saying is that if you get the noise with just the deck powered and the engine off, it's the deck introducing noise into the system. If you only hear it with the car on, then it's alternator whine and another ground point will likely remove the problem. Try grounding the deck all the way to the battery (which, luckily, isn't that far in these cars).

Big Mack
Old 04-30-10, 05:19 PM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

just ground or 12v+ too?
Old 04-30-10, 10:25 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

just ground or 12v+ too?
Ground should be all that is necessary. If the radio is powering up with no issue, the +12V is fine.

Big Mack
Old 05-01-10, 01:27 PM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

ran a 12gauge wire straight from a ring terminal on the battery to the head unit.. skipping the harness I made and the noise is still there...

I'm going to blow this car up.

Quick Reply: RCA signal noise? ran opposite 12v+