Sponsored by:

Alpine Nav Installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-02, 04:02 PM
APU6speed
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine Nav Installation

I'm thinking about getting the IVA-C801/Alpine Nav System and doing the install myself. How difficult is it to do the Nav Install? I'm comfortable with car stereo installation. My primary concern is locating the speed sensor cable and the other wires (such as the brake light and park position wires). Can someone tell me where I can find all of these wires (and their color) in a '00 GS400? Any additional Nav installation tips would also be appreciated.

BTW, is the Kenwood Nav system better than the Alpine?

Thanks,
Michael
Old 06-13-02, 09:43 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm planning on installing my nav soon in my SC. the VSS wire should be the same, so i'll let you know what color it is shortly.
Old 06-14-02, 03:56 PM
APU6speed
Driver

Default Anyone Else? VSS Location on GS400?

Thanks do-luck SC. Can anyone else tell me where the vehicle speed sensor is located on a GS400 (including color of the wire). Are the premium package GS400s pre-wired for the OEM Navigation so that I can just use some of the OEM wiring to connect the Alpine NAV unit?

Also, the location and wire color for the brake light and park position indicator light would also be helpful since I need them for the IVA-C801 install.

Thanks,
Michael
Old 06-15-02, 01:31 AM
postrin
Driver School Candidate

the speed sense wire is red/blue, it's in the ECU under the hood on the drivers side in a 17 pin plug,pin 11, your brake wire is green/white in a 20 pin plug in the drivers kick panel. If you have any question feel free to shoot me an e-mail and i'll answer what i can

Paul
Old 06-18-02, 09:04 PM
ezlyf
Driver

Default Re: Alpine Nav Installation

Originally posted by Mike-GS400
I'm thinking about getting the IVA-C801/Alpine Nav System and doing the install myself. How difficult is it to do the Nav Install? I'm comfortable with car stereo installation. My primary concern is locating the speed sensor cable and the other wires (such as the brake light and park position wires). Can someone tell me where I can find all of these wires (and their color) in a '00 GS400? Any additional Nav installation tips would also be appreciated.

BTW, is the Kenwood Nav system better than the Alpine?

Thanks,
Michael
I have the Kenwood KNA-DV2100 DVD Navigation system and the Kenwood LZ800W 8" widescreen stand alone touch screen monitor. I use to have the Alpine DVD nav system but I just find that the Kenwood's touch screen system is a better interface to use. You will in time realize that remotes and driving dont mix. The other bonus is that it has all the features of the Alpine and then some. The Kenwood advantage is also its ability to display in 3D. It makes navigation a whole lot easier to perceive. This is just from my experience. I've used alpine navigaition systems for 7 years now. I just recently switched to Kenwood and I keep asking myself why I didnt do it any sooner.

Last edited by ezlyf; 06-19-02 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-19-02, 09:43 AM
APU6speed
Driver

I'm now leaning towards the Kenwood, but I've heard mixed reviews of the screen's durability. Obviously having a touch screen will be annoying because of the fingerprints (especially if you're watching a DVD movie). However, I also heard that the protective film on the Kenwood touchscreen is not as thick as the OEM touch screen nav systems which means that the screen will wear out much sooner (I've heard one stereo installer say that the wear will become evident in about 12-18 months of use). Has anybody heard of this or experienced this?
Old 06-19-02, 03:14 PM
ezlyf
Driver

I've heard of those rumors about the Kenwood's touch screen systems and I was a bit skeptical myself. It took a friend of mine to do an Kenwood install from about a year and a half ago to really convince me that they have a reliable system. The ones that Ive seen get bad are the Panasonic touch screen systems. But from experience, this system is very durable. My friend is notorious for neglecting his electronics. If a touch screen can keep up with him..... that's proof enough for me.

Oh one more note.... The new kenwood touch screens utilize a now optical touch screen sytem. Meaning, the slightest touch will trigger a response. This prevents "over pushing" of the screen and therefore extending the life of the screen. They also feature a smudge resistant film on the screens (at least the LZ800W did) so finger prints are virtually invisible.

Last edited by ezlyf; 06-19-02 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-02-02, 01:11 PM
vermont
Driver School Candidate

Cool vss

Anyone know where the VSS is for 1996 LS400, I've installed Alpine navigation and need help looking for the vss wires.
Old 07-02-02, 08:09 PM
GS3InPhx
Pole Position

Viper Techsoft on '96 ls400:

SPEED SENSE|purple/white | |cruise control ECU *4

*4 Cruise Ecu located behind glove box.
Old 07-05-02, 02:01 PM
vermont
Driver School Candidate

Wink VSS