Installing JL W6v2 subwoofer and JL 500/1 amp

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-10, 05:05 PM
vik611
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing JL W6v2 subwoofer and JL 500/1 amp

Hey guys,

I'm going to get a JL W6v2 and JL 500/1 amp installed in my 2006 Lexus GS300 and I have a quick question regarding the mounting of the subwoofer box. I want to bolt the box down to the trunk using mounting brackets, however, I don't want to screw it into the floor or metal. I'm thinking of mounting the box to a MDF board covered with carpet or vinyl to make it look clean...has anyone done this before? I don't want to permanently make holes in the floor of my trunk or in the metal. Any other suggestions on how to bolt the box down without making permanent holes in the trunk? Appreciate any feedback...sorry for the long message lol.
Old 05-08-10, 07:55 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't know how u can bolt something without making holes on the mounting area.
Old 05-08-10, 11:57 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by rgarjr
don't know how u can bolt something without making holes on the mounting area.
He said he's going to mount it to a beauty board. Very common, and totally doable. If you cut the board as wide as the space between the wheel wells, it won't be able to slide back and forth. I would strongly recommend that you counterbore and bolt through the beauty board into the box, securing it with nuts inside the box. This will make it much more difficult to remove, but not impossible. Simply install the sub afterward. I would also recommend putting some rubber matting (like that used in a tool box for the drawers) on the bottom of the combined box/beauty board so that it cannot slide forward/backward. You don't want a projectile in the event of an accident.

Big Mack
Old 05-09-10, 10:36 AM
vik611
Rookie

Originally Posted by Big Mack
He said he's going to mount it to a beauty board. Very common, and totally doable. If you cut the board as wide as the space between the wheel wells, it won't be able to slide back and forth. I would strongly recommend that you counterbore and bolt through the beauty board into the box, securing it with nuts inside the box. This will make it much more difficult to remove, but not impossible. Simply install the sub afterward. I would also recommend putting some rubber matting (like that used in a tool box for the drawers) on the bottom of the combined box/beauty board so that it cannot slide forward/backward. You don't want a projectile in the event of an accident.

Big Mack
Big Mack..thanks for the response...makes sense