Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

good online shop for dyn audio and sq subs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-02, 09:19 PM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default good online shop for dyn audio and sq subs?

hey guys

any good online shops where i can purchase some dyn audio
my a/d/s front stage is giving me problems and 1 of my a/d/s subs has a bad voice coil
so im thinking of switching to dyn audio..
havent made up my mind on subs yet

any suggestions?
forget velodyne.. i cant afford that right now
im looking for VERY VERY good SQ sub that can handle power
my current a/d/s sound amazing but cant handle what im giving them

I ordered 2 mcintosh MCC404M's today
1700 a piece

suggestions please!!
thanks again

Erick G
Old 06-20-02, 06:21 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Erick,

Try Peter Lufrano at http://www.theautophile.com You'll have to call him directly as he's changed his website to advertise Brax.

Percy
Old 06-20-02, 06:42 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about the A/D/S (and sorry to hear you want Dyn )

Can't help you on the website, but for the Subwoofer...check out Treo Engineering. They are a fairly small company making big waves in the SPL arena, but I have one of their 12"s in my SQ car and have been having great luck with them (five firsts in five outings in USACi SQ this year).

However, they play very low so you will need to have plenty of mid-bass up front.

Check them out at their "unofficial" website...

www.teamtreo.com

Good luck!
Old 06-20-02, 07:38 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Great Website for Dyns...

Erick:

Try "woofersetc.com" for Dynaudio. I just purchased Dyns and Focals from them and they gave me GREAT service and unbeatable prices. (Watch out for any warranty issues if you're sensitive to this, though, they're prob. not "authorized". Their policy is spelled out on the website.) All items arrived new in box and in great condition. Everything I wanted was also in stock, unlike other websites. Make sure to call first to verify this (this goes for any online dealer - for Dyns and a/d/s, among other brands, many sites have this stuff all over their site, but have nothing actually in stock!) The Woofers, Etc. guys were especially helpful and congenial on the phone.

As far as subs go, if you're not going to go Velodyne (which has a servo feedback loop that keeps distortion to a bare minimum), there are a couple of other good choices. For one, I just purchased an Image Dynamics IDMAX 12" ($450 ea. on sounddomain.com, which is an authorized dealer), but haven't received it yet due to a manufacturing delay at ID, so I can't comment directly on it's SQ, but it gets rave reviews across the board for both SQ and SPL at the same time, which is why I went with it. Huge power handling. I was going to go with (2) a/d/s 12", but could not find ANYONE that actually had them in stock at less than list price. Focal apparently has great subs as well, if you're willing to pay 2 arms and a leg for them.

Jerry.
Old 06-20-02, 08:52 AM
sirsomo
Pole Position

I have used both theautophile.com and sounddomain.com and had good experiences with both. I ordered some focal components from Peter at theautophile.com, and he is a great guy and carries lots of high end products. I also had a good experience with sounddomain, I like enginear, ordered 2 IDMAX's, but I havent installed them yet. The Alumapro alchemys are also nice, but not up to par with the dyns. Good luck.
Old 06-20-02, 11:24 AM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

I know Peter from theautophile
i've boughten many many things from him. my system is focused on his website in the showcars section.

Im just wondering if you guys have any suggestions on different brand subwoofers like ID MAX or anything in particular..

thanks

Erick G
Old 06-20-02, 11:28 AM
jawnthen
Lead Lap

Erick,

I got my dyns from http://www.carstereotime.com/dynaudio/ and so did a couple other CL members. I think this is the cheapest place online to get the dyns, but they are not an authorized dealer. Still, they came in the original Dynaudio packaging and I haven't had any problems with them whatsoever.

--jawn
Old 06-20-02, 12:04 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

sirsomo:
I've heard the Alumapro Alchemy 10"s, - yes, they sound good, the pair I heard was nice and tight, no slop, but I have a question as to the brand's reliability at higher power levels. I've seen a few of their smaller component speakers that were toast...

Let us know how your IDMax's work out.

Eng
Old 06-20-02, 12:12 PM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Have you checked into the TREOs yet? They will take way more power than those McIntosh amps can push out. I have an Orion 900.2 on a dual VC SS series 12" and it just wants more.

I have also listened to the Alchemy(s) also and they seemed decent.
Old 06-20-02, 01:05 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

I have 2 12" alumapro and they are very nice subs, they dont need alot of power at all 300rms but they do hit hard and very clean, the biggest problem you will have with alumapro's is the box designe, if you get a good box for the alumapro's you will harder than most 15's out there ( and cleaner than most 12's ) but you have to take it to a person who knows how the alumapro subs work, we have a shop here in washington that has a truck with 4 alumapro alchemy 12's that has been in SPL competion for 2 years without a sub blowing and he gets 1st-3rd everytime
Old 06-20-02, 01:44 PM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

i am using a DEI 1100d for my subs currently
650w per sub give or take
so that should be plenty to power subs

Erick G