Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Can I add Y-splits to amp pre-outs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-02, 08:38 AM
jewelberry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I add Y-splits to amp pre-outs?

About to replace factory headunit with Nakamichi cd-45z. CD-45z has three pairs of rca preouts for front, rear and sub. I have one 4 channel amp and one five channel amp (fosgate 200.4 and 500a5) that I wish to hookup and utilize. Is it ok to use y-split rcas to headunit preouts(on both front and rea channels) to connect and utilize all 8channels and will it have any negative effects by using y splits to add additional channels(I have lots of speakers)?
Old 06-22-02, 11:06 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Jewelberry,

What does your entire system consist of? With the number of channels you're using, you're better off running it through a good processor than all the y adapters.

Percy
Old 06-22-02, 08:10 PM
jewelberry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default y-spliter

My planned setup consists of:

front side: Nakamichi SP-S6500 (6 1/2 components w/teewter)
Kicker R3C 3 1/2 mids (on the dash top)

Passenger sides: Polk EX2500 (Dome tweeters)

Rear Deck: Pioneer TS-A6995 (6x9 4way)

Trunk : one 10" MTX Thunder6000 (250 rms)
(sub will probably change to Two subs later-currently doing more research)

Head Unit: Nakamichi CD-45z 43wx4 / 3pr. preamp out
CD changer: Nakamichi MF-51 5disc 20bit (don't know where to put it yet)

Power: Fosgate 600a5 (4ch+sub) & 200.4(4ch)
Fosgate 1 Farad Cap w/ digital readout
4guage to battery w/2 8guage coming off of dist. block

Now since I am using the BestKit aftermarket dash face kit, I do have an extra din slot which can be filled with an in-dash processor of some sort, but I really don't think there are any processor/equalizer that can directly handle 8+ channel hookup, do you? I thought if I can use the y-splits on the head unit and if this will not cause any unexpected problems and if the SQ will not degrade all that much, I can hook up the two amps so that I can still utilize the fader function in the head unit. So I guess my main question is will the use of y-splits create any stress to my components involved and wether or not the sound quality will suffer. Also, please advise me if you know of any after market processors out there that can make my installation a little easier. Thanks.
Old 06-23-02, 11:03 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

jewelberry,

There are two options here. You can run y splitters, though the SQ may suffer. Best Y splitter I've seen is the Monster M series and they sell for about 30 bucks EACH. Good stuff though.

Second option. Outboard processor, whether it be a Image Dynamics ID ONE or McIntosh. You're paying big bucks for either. Feed the preouts from the Nak head unit (4 channels) and then control the sub level, mids, woofers, and tweets with the processor. The ID ONE is a good bet If and when Image Dynamics releases their product.

Otherwise, go McIntosh. You'll have to mod out the processor as ALL active processors (Zapco, etc) are NOISY due to the active components. You'll hear it as a slight hissing sound. Once when they're modded out they're very quiet though. Price for one of the McIntosh big guys...over 2 grand.

Percy
Old 06-25-02, 05:29 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Percy (or anyone other guru)

I've tried to do a search on my question but was unsuccessful. What is one of the cleanest line level level adapters that I could purchase online. I need to convert 4 speaker radio output (I have NAV) to 4 RCA jacks.

Also what about a very good (dont break the bank) set of RCA jacks which I can buy on line ..monster cable...what series.

Again, my priority is to get information on something which I could order on line.

Thanks for the info ahead of time.