Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Question: which set-up would you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-10, 04:13 PM
folsep
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question: which set-up would you prefer?

I am thinking about a new audio install and wanted any feedback or advice I could get. Your thoughts and input would be much appreciated. I have a couple questions as well.

Option 1:

SRQ Custom dual 12" sub SEALED BOX

http://srqcustoms.3dcartstores.com/L...al_p_139.html#

with 2 12" Rockford Fosgate P2 @ 4 ohms, handle around 250 RMS

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...n_US&p_status=

powered by

Pioneer GM-D7500 400RMS @ 4 ohms

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ries/GM-D7500M

The site says the box is "2.0 cu.ft of airspace for dual 12"," the subs are recommended to be sealed ideally around 1.02 cu ft, (Note, they displace about .057 cu ft each so that's .114 cu ft displacement total for both subs leaving 1.886 cu ft in the box). The max recommended by RF is 1.8, I don't imagine this to be a problem but if you think so let me know please.

Also, the amp runs 400 RMS @ 4ohms, so running to 2 subs does that mean 200 RMS each? (they handle 250) or is that truly 400 RMS total-to both subs? If so, that maybe too much.

Option 2

Rockford Fosgate 2 10" P2's in a ported box
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...n_US&p_status=

handling 500 RMS @ 4ohms

powered by
Kenwood KAC-9105D
500 RMS @ 4 ohms

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...iers/KAC-9105D

Leaves out any guesswork, but not custom looking.

This invokes the debate of ported v. sealed box. I want to be able to make my ears ring when I feel like it. My current set up does not do so (10" inch Free Air JL sub in stock cut out with older Fosgate 250a2 amp). Just FYI, I would use the cut out of the stock sub to "port" into the main cabin form the trunk. So, even tough ported enclosures are said to be louder, I think with 2 12's "ported" into the main cabin via the sock sub cutout would be equally as loud.

Your thoughts?

(P.S.-I have a pioneer HU (AVH-P4200DVD, 7inch touch screen)).
Old 06-05-10, 08:38 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

The Pioneer amp you pointed out has a typo on the main page. It's 200 watts @ 4 ohms, and 400 watts @ 2 ohms. Since that box is set up to run mono, you could wire both 12's together to 2 ohms. It's not really "custom" made to the speakers, but it should be fine.

That would be the setup I would go with.

Big Mack
Old 06-05-10, 09:42 PM
folsep
Driver School Candidate

A great help as usual!

What about possibly using the Kenwood amp over the Pioneer (but using the 2ohm version of the RF 12" subs)?
Old 06-05-10, 10:54 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by folsep
A great help as usual!
Thanks, mang. I try.

What about possibly using the Kenwood amp over the Pioneer (but using the 2ohm version of the RF 12" subs)?
1 ohm is difficult for most amps to pull off. Despite the Kenwood saying that it will, it's a hard life for an amp. Also keep in mind that you'll be delivering 450 watts to each sub since it says it does 900 watts at 1 ohm (this is based on you using the 2 ohm RF subs). That's significantly overpowering them, and I wouldn't recommend it. I would either A) stick with the original plan, or B) stick with the original plan. Which amp is more cost effective? The Pioneer does 400 @ 2 ohms. The Kenwood should do 450 @ 2 ohms. If the price difference is more than 10%, that makes the choice pretty easy.

And I'm sure that stepping up from 1 10" sub in a free air environment off 250 watts to 2 12" subs with that much power to each will yield quite a change. It may not be ear splitting, but it should be plenty loud.

Big Mack
Old 06-07-10, 08:38 PM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm.... a couple of questions I'd like to know.

1. What car is this going into?
2. Is your trunk "sealed" in a way that it allows the sound to fire into the cabin and not be lost in other "holes" that lead to other places?

If boom is what you're after, then I'd recommend a ported box, but a properly setup sealed enclosure would have more accurate and tighter bass IMO.
Old 06-07-10, 08:57 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by veleno
hmm.... a couple of questions I'd like to know.

1. What car is this going into?
Click the link for the box.

Originally Posted by veleno
2. Is your trunk "sealed" in a way that it allows the sound to fire into the cabin and not be lost in other "holes" that lead to other places?
Just FYI, I would use the cut out of the stock sub to "port" into the main cabin form the trunk.

Vented may be more efficient - provided you don't go below the tuning frequency and unload the woofers, thus creating the big boom. 'Spensive! I agree with you that it can be louder, but building a vented box does require a lot more work than a sealed one.

Big Mack
Old 06-09-10, 09:53 PM
folsep
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for answering Big Mack!

I think I'm gonna go with the sealed enclosure. It is a 2d gen GS. From what I've read, ported enclosures are "boomier" but sealed enclosures are louder across a greater range of frequencies. Ported enclosures are real good at hitting higher decibels at certain frequencies but a good sealed enclosure will sound louder and tighter across the board. I can't imagine 2 12's with 600 RMS, "ported" into the main cabin via the stock sub cutout, will not be loud enough for me. Sure a ported enclosure might allow for higher decibels at certain frequencies but that requires I take up most of my trunk for an enclosure large enough. This sealed enclosure only takes up about a 1/4 of trunk space.
Old 06-26-10, 06:51 PM
folsep
Driver School Candidate

Thought I'd share some DIY pics. I could go louder but I like trunk space so I guess this will have to do. Overall, I'm pleased! oh and the amp is the 1200 watt 8500 model so it's 600 RMS at 2 ohms.
Attached Thumbnails Question: which set-up would you prefer?-subs.jpg   Question: which set-up would you prefer?-img_1799.jpg  

Last edited by folsep; 06-26-10 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-26-10, 07:01 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Looks great, mang! Hopefully you are digging the sound for a long time.

Just out of curiosity, how much was the bang to ship the box to you? For a note, it's almost not worth it to do custom!

Big Mack
Old 06-26-10, 07:06 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

The install looks "out of the way" and useable.
Old 06-26-10, 07:13 PM
folsep
Driver School Candidate

$135 total ($35 for shipping) and about a week later. It was the best option for me. I don't have the tools to build custom - nor the experience - and they can make any alterations you request.

Last edited by folsep; 06-26-10 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-26-10, 07:27 PM
folsep
Driver School Candidate

Also, I appreciated that they used a thin layer of fiberglass resin to really seal it.

Here's a pic of the HU. there is some fitment and obvious material matching issues with the generic double din kit but just ordered the JDM double din from Carson (L-tuned) so that should be fixed soon!
Attached Thumbnails Question: which set-up would you prefer?-box.jpg   Question: which set-up would you prefer?-head-unit.jpg  
Old 06-27-10, 01:57 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Gotta go ported
Old 06-27-10, 04:16 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by funcrusher
Gotta go ported
This I need explained...

Big Mack
Old 06-27-10, 04:55 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
This I need explained...

Big Mack
I like loud bass that beats my trunk up

Quick Reply: Question: which set-up would you prefer?