Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

OK, stereo gurus, PLEASE help a newbie out...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-02, 06:50 AM
ndisgii
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking OK, stereo gurus, PLEASE help a newbie out...

OK, I have a 1992 SC300 with the Factory Premium sound system installed with the 2 amps and 12 disc changer. I want to do a basic system upgrade, nothing too extreme. I want nice components up front and nice 2 or 3ways in the back with a free air sub in back (to replace the factory one). My questions are the following:

- Can I maintain the factory deck and 12 disc changer, and replace the amps with aftermarket (want to try and maintain the factory look? I was thinking something like the big 5 channel Kenwood Excelon (60x4 and 200x1) to replace both factory amps, but trying to use the existing wiring that is already in place from the factory amps. Can this be done??

- If I decide to use a TV in the dash to hook up a playstation or something, I am assuming that I will need an aftermarket head unit, but what inputs or outputs do I need to make the TV and Playstation work??

- If I go with aftermarket head unit, is there a way to make it work with the factory 12 disk changer??

** If above can be done, does anyone have the pinouts and/or wiring schematics of the factory setup at both amps?? THIS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, and I will need this information even if I have to go with aftermarket head unit, so please reply on this one if you can!!!!!!

- What speakers and amps would you guys recommend for the above mentioned setup??

Any of this info would be greatly appreciated. PLEASE help if you have any info at all. Thanks in advance!! Take care!!
Old 06-24-02, 09:47 AM
sirsomo
Pole Position

-Yes, you can add an aftermarket amp while using your factory head unit. I would rewire the car, no need to spend $$$ on products and then neglect the wiring.

-Your best bet would be to get a head unit with a built in monitor. Head units and PS both use RCA inputs so there wont be a problem, you might want to get a tuner to watch TV.

-your factory changer will not work with an aftermarket head unit.

-Percy wrote a book, but I dont know if he has anything on the SC.

-What is your price range for your system? Try to determine a budget so others can help you pick what to use.

Good Luck

Last edited by sirsomo; 06-24-02 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-24-02, 12:02 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Good Info

ND - I agree with Sirs about the wiring. It's easy enough to use a LLC to hook up a non-factory amp to the factory H/U but while U're in the doors changing the speakers why not upgrade the wire to a thicker gauge? Concerning the monitor - as long as there's a A/V connection ( the RCA Sirs was referring to ) U'll be fine. U may have to get creative IF there's a safety feature preventing U from using the A/V source while the car's in motion. Some processors have an extra A/V connection for using a monitor as well. I've never done a SC system but I don't think the factory H/U will interface with an aftermarket multi-disc player. Of course, there's always the old standby - FM modulator!
Old 06-24-02, 12:36 PM
ndisgii
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Thank you for the info. I really appreciate it, and it is very helpful to me! OK, let me ask some more questions.

- Head Unit - OK, suppose I scrap the stock head unit and CD Changer. I plan on putting some type of TV in the Glove box door as shown here:
https://www.clublexus.com/photo/data/1tmp91.JPG
This would be for the passenger to watch movies and/or play Playstation games. I do not need Television reception, as I only intend to watch movies and play games. Keep that in mind (no tuner). As for the head unit, is there a unit out there that has in-dash changer capabilities AND the ability to play Burned CDs with MP3s and such? Then all the movies and games can just be played on the TV in the glove box and I would have my changer in the head unit, not in the trunk, with massive amounts of music capability b/c of the MP3 ability. Would this work and what TV and head unit do you guys suggest?? I do not need the best, let's say medium of the line equipment.

I do not plan on using extreme power. I stated as an example, the Kenwood Excelon 5 channel Amp, which is 60x4 and 200x1. I would think that this amp would be capable of using the stock speaker wiring without problems, as that would save much labor in re-wiring, and still produce much better soundstage than stock with some better component speakers in front and 2 or 3 ways in the rear. Again, medium of the line speakers, nothing outrageous. The reason I'm not going all out on the stereo, is because I am doing a 2JZ transplant, and thats where most of the money will be going.

Summary - OK, long story short, I am looking for medium of the line equipment, nothing cheap or extremely expensive. I need the following:

- Head unit that has changer built in (6 disk would be nice) and can play MP3s and such. Not really worried about DVD, as the Playstation will take care of that.

- TV for Playstation, movies, and AEM EMS (glove box install).

- Component set up front (whatever size fits)

- 2 or 3 ways in back deck (whatever size fits)

- Biggest sub I can fit in the stock sub location (even if custom cutting is neccessary)

- Amp or Amps to control the above

Thanks guys!! PLEASE REPLY!!!
Old 06-25-02, 02:32 PM
LeXusBoy
Lead Lap

Originally posted by sirsomo
-Percy wrote a book
You know how I can get it??
Old 06-25-02, 03:23 PM
ndisgii
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb Yes...

How can I get ahold of this book? Does it have wiring schematics?? Thanks!!
Old 06-26-02, 10:14 AM
sirsomo
Pole Position

First, for the book. Do a search on the book there has been posts in the past. I am not positive of the content, but it appears to be really helpful. PM "Percy" he should have some available.

First, I dont know if you really want to put a TV there, it will cost a lot to fix that hole when you trade it in or whatever. Another factor is thay you wont be able to see it.

Second, there are head units that can play MP3s and burned CDs, but I dont believe there are any that can play those AND have a built in changer. You can replace the glove compartment changer with another brand, so its still up front. Check out some websites for more info. Panasonic, Alpine and Kenwood are my favorites for head units and monitors. Plus, they are easy to find.

As far as the amp, there are many choices, any price you want to spend? A decent 5 channel amp goes for 500-1000, depends a lot on how much power and clarity you want. Same situation with speakers, you can get good component sets for 300-600. I would highly recommend rewiring your car, it will be worth it imo.

Another question is what are you going to do with the PS2? The glovebox would be the easiest, but you could also put it in an armrest of in the dash.

The factory sub is a 10'' freeair. You can put a 12 in a sealed enclosure and leave the factory hole open or replace the factory sub with a larger one.

There are tons of options, and you need to do some more research. Good Luck.

Last edited by sirsomo; 06-26-02 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-26-02, 02:31 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Percy's book...

Percy's book is for the GS. Search for "GS Audio Primer". It will be of general help to anyone, but of limited specific help with the details if you do not have a GS (i.e. your '92 SC).

Replacing all of your stock speakers with decent aftermarket ones will give you the biggest bang for the buck. Any of the stock Lexus speakers (Pioneer or Nakamichi) are miserable (I can't speak for the Mark Levinsons, haven't seen them, but you wouldn't have them anyway in a '92). Adding a new sub amp for the new sub is a close second, and beyond that the combinations are endless....

eng
Old 06-26-02, 02:34 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Let's correct that last one:
Search for "audio primer" and that will bring it up. (the search engine doesn't like 'gs' - too short)

eng
Old 06-26-02, 03:04 PM
ndisgii
Driver School Candidate

Default OK...

Thanks guys, the info is much appreciated!! Take care!!
Old 06-26-02, 03:34 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Percy's Direct Line

I know Master P has some copies of the Primer left. Try an E-mail to: esotar330@ameritech.net.
I think the book goes for around $25 including S&H but don't quote me on that. The primer has several schematics as well as some pics that make the work easier. Percy's even included some technical knowledge that he's accumulated in his years of audio endeavors that will apply to ANY installation. Of course, modesty excludes me from mentioning MY install pics in the back!! :eek:

Last edited by Mean Gene; 06-26-02 at 03:39 PM.