Sponsored by:

Alpine vs. Kenwood

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-02, 02:31 PM
APU6speed
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine vs. Kenwood

I'm planning to upgrade my current setup with a navigation/dvd system and I'm deciding between the Alpine (IVA-C801) and Kenwood (KVT-911DVD). There are many pros and cons with each, but I wanted to know your experiences with these brands.

I hear that Alpine products are better manufactured using higher quality components than the Kenwoods and that the Kenwoods tend to have more problems in general. I do like the Kenwood touchscreen, however, almost all the stereo shops I've spoken to have told me this will create more wear and tear on the screen (not to mention finger prints). A lot of them recommend the Alpine.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Michael
Old 06-27-02, 03:16 PM
sirsomo
Pole Position

Its a toss up, you'll be happy with either. Alpine has traditionally been more reliable, but imo kenwood looks better. I always thought Alpine was kind of boring, although their f1 stuff is nice. You will have tons of finger prints on the Kenwood, but thats the price you pay for touch-screen technology. Another thing to consider is how well the NAV systems operate in your area. Good luck.
Old 06-27-02, 03:36 PM
GS3InPhx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to say that Alpines nav system is FAR superior to Kenwoods, but the touchy feely award goes to Kenwood. Alpine has always been known for their great quality and durability. Kenwood is not.

Just my thoughts...

BTW- do you have factory nav? I'd like to be the first in line if your removing it
Old 06-28-02, 09:46 AM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default alpine

Go with the alpine. I have a part time job at a major nationwide electronics chain that sells Alpine and Kenwood. I've always seen far more returns on the Kenwood products. Also, I've always used Alpine and haven't had any problems.
Old 06-30-02, 08:16 PM
MRGS400nSoCali
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would personally go with the Kenwood. I had a Kenwood (KVT-907) in my supra for about 2 years and did not have one single thing go wrong with it. Now I have the (KVT-910DVD) in my 98 GS400 and I love it, looks and performs great. I still carry the manual in the car cuz its got so many nifty features I havent used yet. As for the fingerprints, thats y you wipe them off everytime you clean/detail your car. I'll post pictures later.
Old 07-01-02, 09:14 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't have experience with either of these particular units, but it'd be tough to convince me to put anything but Alpine HU's in my car. Not that they are the only good units, but I've loved them and become loyal.
Old 07-02-02, 09:02 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Got Kenwood nav (not the same model as you have in the USA) in my car for a couple of months now and love it. The touchscreen really helps operating the nav, and you don't have to play with a remote.
I don't know about reliability, but so far no problems at all. Also cannot compare to Alpine, never owned one.

In car stereo mags here in my area, Kenwood constantly gets better ratings for their DVD nav than any other brands (including Alpine).