iight cool u r like 10 min away
have fun in st thomas
lata
Old 07-02-02, 06:38 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Depends on YOU!

Well, I gotta jump in here somewhere! IMHO, it depends on what YOUR priorities are. I've taken MY fair share of being trashed because I shod my GS4 with Zenetti wheels/Nitto tires ( $2200 total investment ) instead of the higher dollar ( $4500 & that's from Mo!!:eek: ) HRE/Michelin combo that I originally wanted. Of course, after spending over $13k on the stereo I had to cut corners ( to a point ) somewhere. Since I don't put a premium on high G cornering, I chose to pick my wheels based more on cosmetics. Hey, it's MY car & NOBODY wrote the check out to the dealer for me!!:eek: I put together a very basic upgrade for U guyz via the raffle & followed the budget that Ethan gave me. It would cost ya'll only around $550 in just equipment to duplicate but I used my connections to save Ethan ( & CL some $$ ). It's also a system that anyone could install using Percy's Audio Primer ( not sure if Ethan threw one of those in with the system but I suggested that he do so )?
Man, I spent in excess of $550 on just my front door speakers but I compete in USAC ( now USACi ) & as Todd says, that won't getcha very far in the judging lanes!! In fact, I'd say that Percy has close to $20k in equipment himself as he uses top of the line everything while I am a level below his choices. We ( along with Todd, Retrodrive, Sirsomo & others ) do our own installs so we save money there & KNOW that it's done correctly. Part of the audio brotherhood is constantly tweaking things so if ya want a simple drop-in system that U never need to fool with then just upgrade all 4 door speakers with 5.25" components & drop in a better free-air sub. Then power the whole system with a single 5 channel amp & be done with it ( at least until U decide to change out the headunit but U'll already be ahead of things with this first step ). Dive in!!

Last edited by Mean Gene; 07-02-02 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-02-02, 07:08 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You'll rarely get more than you pay for, but you can easily pay for more than you get. Absolutely, when they see you coming in with a Lexus, you're going to pay LIST for the amps/hardware, and the labor is going to get jacked up - even if it's just to initially see if you'll go for it...Better to get less but get it done right than winding up with a slop job in your Lex. You can always add later.

Generally, cheapest way to go is to do the install yourself and buy equipment via the web, but ya gotta be real good with yer hands.

eng
Old 07-02-02, 10:48 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't trying to be a ****...but if you want to come back at me like that...

Originally posted by Dex
Just becasue they don't want to spend 5k on an audio setup doesn't necessarily mean they are skimping. Perhaps $1k is all he deems necessary? Why did you skimp on your GS?

From the original question... his goals were to be louder and cleaner, consisting an amp and four with a custom box. I'm sorry, but completion of his goals would not come with a $1G investment. Lexus has a very good stock system that is completely integrated with each component. When you replace parts of those with questionable grade components, you will actually degrade your system. You may get louder, but not cleaner.

Where exactly did I skimp on my GS?

Umm, I wouldn't. They couyld just sell yo the cheapest crap, and bump up the labor and cost numbers to reach your budget; same reason why you don't go into a car dealership and tell them "yeah, um, I want to spend $400 a month; what car can I have for that?"

Ummm...they're going to find out you have a Lexus at some point. And there are many people who buy a car based on monthly payments, this is evidenced everytime you open the newspaper and all the car dealerships have the Monthly Lease and/or Buy figures listed in bold type.

Labor isn't too hard to figure...approx. $40 for speaker installation + parts. Labor wouldn't be a huge factor based on the fairly simple, labor UNintensive system desired. The labor factor would raise its ugly head when you had a custom, fiarly exotic enclosure/amp rack built or when you tried to install a head unit and realized there is no Metra Kit for that car.

I agree, but my custom box wasn't that much; maybe $250, and I'd say it is a quality piece.

Keep in mind that I included the price of the woofers...(2) decent quality 10s or 12s Orion, Hifonics, Kicker, JL, Cadence, Xtant, etc...will be easily $200 alone.

That's kind of a crappy thing to say to someone isn't it? I don't think he mentioned winning any competitions with his $1k set up did he?

If I had a dollar for everytime I've heard, "My Homeboy can get that for..." If you demand enough quality to drive a Lex, why settle for flea market sound? In all fairness I reread LexLords post and maybe my reply was a bit harsh. Also, his $1000 was for equipment only.

Do your research, define your budget, define what you want, then negotiate the best price for your components.

HTH
Uhhhh....thats what I said. Maybe this was a bit more clear.
Old 07-02-02, 02:51 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Rico's Revenge
I wasn't trying to be a ****...but if you want to come back at me like that...
I wasn't rying to "come back" at you, just provide another point of view versus yours; intelligent debate ireally. I think we are stating similar positions though actually, just communicating them differently. No hard feelings.
Old 07-02-02, 09:09 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Depends on YOU!

Originally posted by Mean Gene
In fact, I'd say that Percy has close to $20k in equipment himself as he uses top of the line everything while I am a level below his choices.

***It's all part of my crazed goal of audio... ***

Dive in!!
Gene,

I was expecting olympic pool depth (maybe 17 feet of water) but instead I go for the mid ocean trench at 7+ miles deep. Go figure!

I did a frequency sweep and had the Bruel & Kjaer meter handy. GEEZ...the frequency response is RAGGED with the stock system...even with the Dyns in place! More peaks and valleys than all the college women i know. But hey...at least the peaks and valleys look GREAT on them! (hard for anything to go wrong at 19 to 25!)

Percy
Old 07-03-02, 06:26 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Depends on YOU!

Originally posted by Percy
...More peaks and valleys than all the college women i know. But hey...at least the peaks and valleys look GREAT on them! (hard for anything to go wrong at 19 to 25!)

Percy
ROTFLMAO!!!

Dex...

Husla...Even though I have another vehicle, the car does get driven daily. I don't believe in letting something that give you that much enjoyment sit!!