Sponsored by:

stereo upgrades....wow, thats high $$

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-02, 10:32 AM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Default stereo upgrades....wow, thats high $$

in preparation for upgrading my stereo system for my 98' GS4, not Nakamichi (nav syst.), i've been to 3 store local to determine how expensive this endeavor will be. i'm just looking for a basic upgrade to make the system louder and of course clean sounding, and some more base w/ a couple subs. the feeback from the 3 places has been, that the trunk is so well insulated that a custom box is needed, mounted into the rear deck, and that to work w/ the stereo head unit (i want to keep the clean looks) one needs a 5 channel amp. . in general, the 3 experts say, if you are gonna do it, you got to do it all the way. the amp alone was $900! jeeeeeeeeeez. it was jl audio. install another 200+ on it, the custom box $350 and the subs $300 per for jl audio 10". we're talking $2g's just for a basic upgrade? comon!? i find that hard to believe. anyone w/ advice on a less expensive way to upgrade? something they personally have had experience w/ and know works. stereo equipment has gotton pretty inexpensive, and i don't want to shake the freakin doors off........what are my options here?:eek:
Old 06-30-02, 10:39 AM
LexusL
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They trying to rip you off, man you can find a better system for under a 1k, and find some to install it for you.
Old 06-30-02, 10:49 AM
Static911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, you didn't participate in our last raffle. ClubLexus gave away 4 speakers, a free air drop in sub and a 5 channel amp.

But yeah, it sounds like the place is ripping you off. Percy, Mean Gene, Retrodrive and the rest of the audio gang can help you out.

Ethan
Old 06-30-02, 10:53 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: stereo upgrades....wow, thats high $$

Originally posted by liazon
...i'm just looking for a basic upgrade to make the system louder and of course clean sounding, and some more base w/ a couple subs........and that to work w/ the stereo head unit (i want to keep the clean looks) one needs a 5 channel amp....what are my options here?:eek:
L, I had many of the same criteria as you when I did my upgrade,

http://www.digitalsimple.com/Stereo%20Page.htm

and I found as you did, that it isn't cheap to do a good job. Now, mine isn't all tricked out or anything, but without getting into specifics, I got out the door for ~$3k.

Long story short, get good components, and just as, if not more importantly, get the install done by the best you can find; it'll make all the difference in the world.

HTH
Old 06-30-02, 11:36 AM
GS3InPhx
Pole Position

Originally posted by Static911
Unfortunately, you didn't participate in our last raffle. ClubLexus gave away 4 speakers, a free air drop in sub and a 5 channel amp.

But yeah, it sounds like the place is ripping you off. Percy, Mean Gene, Retrodrive and the rest of the audio gang can help you out.

Ethan
Thats exactly the sound upgrade I was going to mention! So far I've only added a amp to my factory sub and it sounds great. I am going to upgrade the stock sub and add a cva unit.
Old 06-30-02, 01:15 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Welcome to the world of CAR AUDIO.

Now, if you got the same similar quotes from the 3 places, I would have to imagine that the price is probably fair. One thing to remember is that when places see a Lexus, they always seem to bump the price of labor up. IMO, if you want a nice simple system that sounds clean and is done right, you are going to pay 2K.
Old 06-30-02, 01:27 PM
sirsomo
Pole Position

I can add a couple things:
1. Is spelled bass.

2.You can use a 5 channel amp or get a 4 channel for the mids and highs and then a seperate sub amp. You can find decent amps out there for less than $900.

3.The trunk is well insulated, but you dont have to have a custom box. A custom box would work best, but Im sure there are some prefabbed ones that will work. If you wanted, you could build one for around $100

4.The amp install should not cost $200, unless that includes some really good RCAs/wiring.

5.Im not real familiar with JL, but I dont see how a 10'' could cost $300 each. The W7 is the only one thats worth that, and they probably cost JL that much just to make.

6. I would recommend looking on the internet at sites like sounddomain.com and looking at what others have done. Also, online prices are often cheaper then shops. Most shops will install any product, even though you did not buy it from them.

7. Do some more research, you will probably find that you'll be happy with a cheaper upgrade. 1000-1500 and you could attain your goals of making the system louder and cleaner. It wont be as clean or as loud as a more expensive system, but for most people a setup like that is fine.

Good Luck
Old 06-30-02, 07:18 PM
BabaBooey
Driver

If you want to upgrade for cheap, I wouldn't worry about powering the rear speakers with an amp, just use the HU. I would also recommend using seperate amps. Cadence, JBL, Hifonics, and Phoenix Gold all have good power to price ratios. $300 for a single 10" JL is absurd (excluding the 10W7), even if you get a box with it. Adire Audio and Blueprint Drivers are just two of the many companies that make good drivers for under $250, but those two stand out IMO. Each of those companies make subs with great lowend output in small boxes, something that you rarely see, ESPECIALLY amongst mainstream companies like Kicker and Fosgate. Don't know what size speakers fit in your vehicle, so can't much help you out with that right now.
Old 06-30-02, 07:46 PM
dagr8tsthustla
Lexus Test Driver

Default Inexpensive products

hey liazon,

1.) Come to NYC....J/k

2.) I did alot of research and i am in the process of getting my equip installed this thursday. (oh yeah!!!) I went with the new Kenwood excelon 5 channel amp KAC-650d (VERY POWERFUL!!) and kenwood 6 band eq. As for my highs and lows and swapped out the stocks for diamond audio (kinda expensive) and an L5 solobaric 12" sub (don't need the L7 b/c i don't need to push 750 watts!!!) I am not going to change out the H/U so i want it to be as clean as posible. I'm having a local shop make a custom box w/a port going through the existing 10" woofer opening. The EQ will be a custom install in the ashtray. We will see how it comes out and wish me luck!

as for prices: I got the amp, eq and L5 for $750
install will run me $500 w/box....that's why my first response was to come to NY.....spend less money...about maybe $400 in gas going and coming....(I've lived in FL, so i know how much gas you will spend)LOL!!

Shop around though and good luck!!!

Danny
Old 07-01-02, 06:47 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Man, you guys go out an buy a $40K car and want to skimp on audio components.

Advice...don't walk into a shop and tell them what you want. Walk in and tell them your budget...let them tell you what they can give...and then ask for more.

A replacement free-air sub is probably better than stock. $200

A prefab box will probably perform better than a replacement sub. $300 to $600 (including subs)

A custom box will probably perform better than a pre-fab box. $400 to $800 (including subs)

Your first concern should be your front speakers...easy choice...MB Quart Reference Line. Great sound for the price. $300 to $400 installed

PM Percy, he can give you more advice.

Todd

LexusLORD...bring your $1,000 dollar system to the judging lanes sometime. You get what you pay for...
Old 07-01-02, 04:00 PM
KINGLEX
Driver

Yo dagr8tsthustla where you @ iin queens?
I live in laurelton and i would love to see the install when it is done.
Old 07-01-02, 05:38 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Rico's Revenge
Man, you guys go out an buy a $40K car and want to skimp on audio components.
Just becasue they don't want to spend 5k on an audio setup doesn't necessarily mean they are skimping. Perhaps $1k is all he deems necessary? Why did you skimp on your GS?

Advice...don't walk into a shop and tell them what you want. Walk in and tell them your budget...let them tell you what they can give...and then ask for more.
Umm, I wouldn't. They couyld just sell yo the cheapest crap, and bump up the labor and cost numbers to reach your budget; same reason why you don't go into a car dealership and tell them "yeah, um, I want to spend $400 a month; what car can I have for that?"

A custom box will probably perform better than a pre-fab box. $400 to $800 (including subs)
I agree, but my custom box wasn't that much; maybe $250, and I'd say it is a quality piece.

LexusLORD...bring your $1,000 dollar system to the judging lanes sometime.
That's kind of a crappy thing to say to someone isn't it? I don't think he mentioned winning any competitions with his $1k set up did he?

PM Percy, he can give you more advice.
Do your research, define your budget, define what you want, then negotiate the best price for your components.

HTH
Old 07-01-02, 06:38 PM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

appreciate the input guys.....i'll put it to work.
Old 07-01-02, 10:20 PM
dagr8tsthustla
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with dex!!!

Rico...you have a sweet ride and a sweet system set-up..but...I, nor i think any daily driver wants to invest soooo much into a stereo system that they are only going to hear maybe...let's say....4-5 whole hours a day(that's pushing it, too). I would love to invest in all the interesting mods out there but, the truth of the matter is....I'm married with children, renting out of a home (I live in NY..so just play with the numbers and imagine what I'm paying), car note, insurance note, parking garage rent, etc, etc, etc....not to mention that I'm paying off loans from school(just have $25,876 more to go!!!) and on top of all that, I am trying to save up for my house way out of NY!!! oh did I mention that I have a very expensive wife!!!well now that i've shared all my problems with you guys...i'm sure we seem a little bit closer.LOL!

anyways...back to the subject...If you are a daily driver then i think you should do your own research into products and prices and work out your budget from there...also always leave room for that..."that would look so sweet if you put this there" extra cost!! I also bargain with the prices...hence my name "dagr8tsthustla" amongst other meanings . So like Dex said....negotiate, negotiate, negotiate...that's the best advice.

good luck!

Danny
Old 07-01-02, 10:25 PM
dagr8tsthustla
Lexus Test Driver

OHHHH!!! Kinglex,

I'm in Richmond Hill....Going to St. Thomas this 4th of july weekend so I won't be back until next Tuesday...I leave my car in their hands wednesday night and let them do their magic! When I get back I will hit you up or hit me up at....8774273819@worldcom.com...that's my 2-way so you can hit me up whenever and we can meet up when you get back.

Later!

Danny

Quick Reply: stereo upgrades....wow, thats high $$